Does Peavy end up with White Sox before the trade deadline?

Neither Kenny nor Jake have seemed to close the door on the possibilies....  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Does the deal for Peavy get done later this year?

• Yes
    • No

I have a gut feeling that we not only end up completing the deal...but end up giving the Pads less in return and finding a middle ground with Jake on concessions. I just don't see any other player coming to the table in the next few months that can get the deal done. The Padres will be desperate to find a suitor and Jake would like to improve his status for future years. Unless a deal for another top line starter is done before the deadline, I think Kenny gets this done in the days preceding the trade deadline.

As much as I'd like to see Peavy at the front of the rotation, it's not happening. It's not the Padres that are in control of this, it is Jake Peavy. There is no reason for him to change his mind because the Sox are not likely to up their bid to him as time goes on. His value, in part, was to salvage this season.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ May 23, 2009 -> 01:52 PM)
I have a gut feeling that we not only end up completing the deal...but end up giving the Pads less in return and finding a middle ground with Jake on concessions. I just don't see any other player coming to the table in the next few months that can get the deal done. The Padres will be desperate to find a suitor and Jake would like to improve his status for future years. Unless a deal for another top line starter is done before the deadline, I think Kenny gets this done in the days preceding the trade deadline.

I think a ton has to fall right for the Sox to still have a chance. No NL team will have to place any kind of bid in for him. The Sox will have to play a lot better than they have been. The guys the Sox were going to give up will have to stay healthy and pitch well, Peavy is going to have to pitch well, and JR is going to have to continue to be willing to keep his wallet open.

I don't see it happening, and frankly, if its going to take him 2 months to decide, I don't think the commitment on his end is good enough to warrant being on the hook for all that money. I think guys who want to be White Sox will perform better than guys who aren't so sure they want to be White Sox.

this is from espn insider MLB rumors: posted today

The White Sox offer to San Diego for Jake Peavy remains on the table in hopes that the former Cy Young Award winner will change his mind and waive his no-trade clause, the Chicago Tribune reported.

"When it happens in the third week of May and you're forced to make a decision so quickly that affects your entire family, I think it's probably a wise thing for him to take a step back, review the situation, and go from there," White Sox general manager Ken Williams said Friday. "But we won't, as I explained to him, we won't sit around.

"We've got business to take care of. We've got to right our ship. So we're not going to sit around waiting for this, but who knows what will happen in the future?"

The Tribune reported that Peavy wanted to mull the decision for several days, but Williams had only a 72-hour window to talk with him because it would involve contract issues.

Williams said the Sox would not wait indefinitely for Peavy, but admitted he didn't have another immediate solution to his team's problems.

Peavy started for the Padres against the Cubs on Friday night and struck out 10 over six innings.

Edited by DaveBrown85

No. Not because the Sox don't want to complete the deal, but because I think we will see something else happen between now and then that will end the deal.

If the deal happens though, it will be for less because by the deadline, I think Pads will take anything, and Peavy will realize that he won't get his demands.

3 Things Need To Happen:

1) Sox jump into 1st, or a close 2nd place

2) There is NO NL interest in Peavy. Basically, all the NL teams need to say "we cant afford his salary". and pull out of all trade talks.

3) Peavy get's itchy to be out of SD ASAP.

I dont see all 3 happening.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 23, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)
can we just stop talking about Peavy? them "leaving the door open" was just both not burning bridges. The door is not ACTUALLY open. It's called tact.

Some Sox fans are sounding like Cub fans some months ago holding onto their Peavy wet dreams.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 23, 2009 -> 04:17 PM)
There is an important differrence. They couldn't trade for Peavy, we DID.

That goes to show you how much our farm system has improved over the past few years. KW will get things done before the deadline. I think he'll find an OF and a SP not named Peavy. Its not even June.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ May 23, 2009 -> 03:06 PM)
That goes to show you how much our farm system has improved over the past few years. KW will get things done before the deadline. I think he'll find an OF and a SP not named Peavy. Its not even June.

Given where Seattle is currently sitting, I'd say the odds are Bedard is the top name on the trading market this deadline. You don't give up near as much as you would for Peavy (he's a FA this offseason - but you get 2 more draft picks) but I'd imagine Kenny will be in on that.

I do love these preconceived notions people have that they are portraying as facts.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ May 23, 2009 -> 02:57 PM)
Don't care. I don't want anyone on this team that doesn't wanna be here. Or someone who's scared to man up when they have to.

Man up? So he should just accept any trade he is in, completely negating the value of his NTC?

I also think it's fair to assume there have been players in the past who would have rather been in other places than Chicago when they were actually here, and they produced very well, while there have been others who did want to be here and they struggled. I want good players, period.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 23, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)
can we just stop talking about Peavy? them "leaving the door open" was just both not burning bridges. The door is not ACTUALLY open. It's called tact.

They are leaving the door open, no matter how "open" it is. If Peavy said he'd accept a trade, his $22 million option be damned, I guarantee you KW wouldn't say "Oh, well I was just saying the door was open, it's not actually open."

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 23, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)
Since Peavy obviously doesn't want to play in the AL and his NTC means that he's holding all of the cards in the negotiations, that would be a no.

I can almost guarantee the reason he did not accept a trade to Chicago is because of money, and it has nothing to do with AL/NL. And it should be. The guy is in a fantastic situation for him, personally - great city, very valuable contract, great ballpark - and it should take a huge commitment from another team to get him to waive his NTC. If you can't give him $18 million extra, he's just politely going to say "No, I'll stay in San Diego, but I appreciate your interest in me."

I'm not going to cling to hope and lose sleep and have my mind wander over the possibilities of Peavy in a Sox uniform like I was two days ago, but to suggest that every door is shut and that Peavy would never, ever, ever, accept a trade to the Sox is ludicrous.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 24, 2009 -> 02:54 AM)
I do love these preconceived notions people have that they are portraying as facts.

Man up? So he should just accept any trade he is in, completely negating the value of his NTC?

I also think it's fair to assume there have been players in the past who would have rather been in other places than Chicago when they were actually here, and they produced very well, while there have been others who did want to be here and they struggled. I want good players, period.

They are leaving the door open, no matter how "open" it is. If Peavy said he'd accept a trade, his $22 million option be damned, I guarantee you KW wouldn't say "Oh, well I was just saying the door was open, it's not actually open."

I can almost guarantee the reason he did not accept a trade to Chicago is because of money, and it has nothing to do with AL/NL. And it should be. The guy is in a fantastic situation for him, personally - great city, very valuable contract, great ballpark - and it should take a huge commitment from another team to get him to waive his NTC. If you can't give him $18 million extra, he's just politely going to say "No, I'll stay in San Diego, but I appreciate your interest in me."

I'm not going to cling to hope and lose sleep and have my mind wander over the possibilities of Peavy in a Sox uniform like I was two days ago, but to suggest that every door is shut and that Peavy would never, ever, ever, accept a trade to the Sox is ludicrous.

f***a you wite. I hate when you make cense. It's muchh easizer for me to hate peavy with the heat or something of 1000 suns and jus think he doesnt want to pitch in the al. thank u for ruin my fun. and yez. i just had 4 straiugt shots of bourbon

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 23, 2009 -> 05:15 PM)
Given where Seattle is currently sitting, I'd say the odds are Bedard is the top name on the trading market this deadline. You don't give up near as much as you would for Peavy (he's a FA this offseason - but you get 2 more draft picks) but I'd imagine Kenny will be in on that.

Bedard will most definitley be dealt, but with Richard starting to come together as an established 4/5 type starter, I would love for KW to go hard after Roy Oswalt. The Astros are struggling bad in a tough division and seem to be going nowhere fast. Roy Oswalt would be that perfect ace to our rotation. His contract run through 2011. Its not quite as sexy as Peavy but it would be a damn good pick up. . .

I don't think Peavy will end up with the sox. He'd be a great pickup. But it's not going to happen. Mostly because he should want to keep control over where he goes, what happens to him when he gets there [extend the limited NTC in his deal in 2011 and 2012], and get financially compensated for agreeing to be dealt [get his option year guaranteed]. He probably won't get everything he wants from another team. But he loses nothing by holding out a little longer--until 2011 when his NTC is limited. Just because SD is ready to deal him doesn't mean he has to agree to be dealt.

But let's stop the Peavy bashing already, esp. the personal attacks on his manhood/ courage, etc. It serves no purpose and it makes sox fans look like spurned lovers who can't get over the rejection. The guy earned his NTC and deserves the right to play where he wants for both himself and his family.