Does Peavy end up with White Sox before the trade deadline?

sin city sox fan

Neither Kenny nor Jake have seemed to close the door on the possibilies....  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Does the deal for Peavy get done later this year?

• Yes
    • No

Interesting that KW didn't even tell JR about his pursuit of Peavy for quite a while. If Peavy was this "special" exception for budget purposes, you would think he would consult JR before he wasted anytime on it. From the Daily Herald:

So how did he plan on paying for Peavy, who has a guaranteed $63 million left on a contract that runs through 2012 and also has a $22 million club option for 2013?

"We were going to figure that out along the way," Williams said. "That's not too much of a stretch. The funny thing was, when I told Jerry (Reinsdorf) what was going on - I kept this from him for a long time - when I finally told him what was going on, I should have asked him, 'Hey, where are you?' Because evidently, when I finally told, he almost stepped off the curb and got hit by a car in New York."

Reinsdorf verified the story Friday, and he jokingly said he approved the deal because he was strolling down Park Avenue.

"Walking down Park Avenue, I felt rich," Reinsdorf said. "Good thing I wasn't walking down Third Avenue."

I wonder what JR feels like flying in his private jet.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 24, 2009 -> 12:54 AM)
I can almost guarantee the reason he did not accept a trade to Chicago is because of money, and it has nothing to do with AL/NL.

This is pure conjecture on your part.

Peavy reportedly refused trades to the Red Sox and Angels last season. Peavy also reportedly wanted this unprecedented yearly opt-out clause added to his reworked deal with the Sox. And his agent is on record saying that Peavy "strongly prefers" to play for an NL team. It sounds to me like he has no interest in pitching in the AL.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ May 24, 2009 -> 04:09 AM)
Bedard will most definitley be dealt, but with Richard starting to come together as an established 4/5 type starter, I would love for KW to go hard after Roy Oswalt. The Astros are struggling bad in a tough division and seem to be going nowhere fast. Roy Oswalt would be that perfect ace to our rotation. His contract run through 2011. Its not quite as sexy as Peavy but it would be a damn good pick up. . .

I agree. Oswalt on the South Side would be bad-ass, and his contract would probably be a better fit this team's closing window of opportunity. Not sure I'd be willing to deal Richard AND Poreda, though. I'd still like to keep one of those two as long-term back-of-the-rotation types.

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 24, 2009 -> 12:36 PM)
This is pure conjecture on your part.

Peavy reportedly refused trades to the Red Sox and Angels last season. Peavy also reportedly wanted this unprecedented yearly opt-out clause added to his reworked deal with the Sox. And his agent is on record saying that Peavy "strongly prefers" to play for an NL team. It sounds to me like he has no interest in pitching in the AL.

He also rejected a trade to Atlanta. So much for AL/NL

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 24, 2009 -> 01:01 PM)
He also rejected a trade to Atlanta. So much for AL/NL

That's not what I heard. IIRC, the two teams never came to terms on a deal...

Peavy's own freaking agent has said that he "strongly prefers" going to an NL team, and has been saying this since November. And Peavy threw in two ridiculous contractual demands to purposely kill a done deal with an AL team less than a week ago. What other evidence do you need that Peavy doesn't want to pitch in the AL?

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 24, 2009 -> 01:29 PM)
Pretty hard to sign with a team when you're not a free agent.

Given that Peavy has a NTC, he has to "sign off" on the deal to make it happen.

Are you saying that Cashman would've rather paid Sabathia $160 million (or paid Burnett $82 million) than traded a couple of prospects to the Padres for Peavy and the $70 million or so that he was left on his deal at the time? At the very least, I'd take Peavy over Burnett in a heartbeat.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 24, 2009 -> 03:43 PM)
Given that Peavy has a NTC, he has to "sign off" on the deal to make it happen.

Are you saying that Cashman would've rather paid Sabathia $160 million (or paid Burnett $82 million) than traded a couple of prospects to the Padres for Peavy and the $70 million or so that he was left on his deal at the time? At the very least, I'd take Peavy over Burnett in a heartbeat.

I don't believe the Yankees and Padres ever came to terms on a trade for Peavy.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 24, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)
I don't believe the Yankees and Padres ever came to terms on a trade for Peavy.

Or maybe Peavy blocked the trade and we never heard about it. If it were all about money, I'm sure that the Yankees - who spent over $200 million on two FA starters this winter - would've picked up his option year.

If this were only about money, Peavy would no longer be a Padre. Peavy is obviously being uber-selective about where he goes. I haven't seen him express interest in any team outside of the Cubs.

I highly doubt a trade was completed and we didn't hear about it. Now a days, especially with a team as big as the Yankees, you hear about everything.

Plus, is it possible the Yankees wanted to keep their players and bring in Sabathia who they felt was as good, if not better?

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 24, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)
I highly doubt a trade was completed and we didn't hear about it. Now a days, especially with a team as big as the Yankees, you hear about everything.

Is it possible that Peavy told Towers that he's not waiving his NTC to go to the Yankees, before he and Cashman could agree to terms?

Plus, is it possible the Yankees wanted to keep their players and bring in Sabathia who they felt was as good, if not better?

That would be fine, but they also brought in Burnett. Why would you rather have Burnett than Peavy, who is better AND costs less? And it's not like it took an arm and a leg for Towers to agree to terms with Kenny. Poreda, Richard, and 2 PTBNL is a nice package, but not an overwhelming one. I'm sure that the Cashman could've provided a similar package.

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 24, 2009 -> 04:17 PM)
Is it possible that Peavy told Towers that he's not waiving his NTC to go to the Yankees, before he and Cashman could agree to terms?

If that were the case, why wouldn't Peavy just say to Towers that he's not willing to waive his NTC to any AL team?

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 24, 2009 -> 02:22 PM)
If that were the case, why wouldn't Peavy just say to Towers that he's not willing to waive his NTC to any AL team?

He very well may have, but the Padres front office most likely would've kept that information quiet. Announcing that info would cut out half of Towers' market, and decreased his bargaining leverage.

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 24, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
That's not what I heard. IIRC, the two teams never came to terms on a deal...

Yep, as far as we know. The Sox and the Padres have been the only two teams to agree to terms on Peavy. Everything else was just talk with no resolution.

The only other team that he would gladly pitch for besides San Diego is the Cubs. Otherwise, whoever his new team is, he'll want a lot of money and guarantees.

Exactly. That's the bottom line on Peavy.

• 2 months later...