North Korea tests another nuclear bomb

Balta1701

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 30, 2009 -> 12:23 PM)
I almost wonder if Japan should float around the idea that they may interested in aquiring nukes just to get China to force the issue a bit with North Korea.

That wouldn't be the worst idea, but if Japan actually did suddenly come up with nukes (and this is the Japanese we're talking, it really wouldn't take that long) then that would f*** everything up. It'd probably tip the scales in our favor some in the short-term, but in the long term it's a game-changer and it'd probably push us to a new Cold War.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 30, 2009 -> 12:28 PM)
That wouldn't be the worst idea, but if Japan actually did suddenly come up with nukes (and this is the Japanese we're talking, it really wouldn't take that long) then that would f*** everything up. It'd probably tip the scales in our favor some in the short-term, but in the long term it's a game-changer and it'd probably push us to a new Cold War.

China would go apes*** given the past historical implications between them and Japan. They would take to actively arming NK to balance out the region IMO.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 30, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
China would go apes*** given the past historical implications between them and Japan. They would take to actively arming NK to balance out the region IMO.

Pretty much, and building nukes of their own, which means we'd start doing it again, which means the Russians would be pissed off and probably would overtly help Iran with theirs. All pretty much really bad stuff.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 30, 2009 -> 12:23 PM)
Pretty much, and building nukes of their own, which means we'd start doing it again, which means the Russians would be pissed off and probably would overtly help Iran with theirs. All pretty much really bad stuff.

But anyone who says the world would be a better place without nuclear weapons is naive.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 31, 2009 -> 06:42 PM)
But anyone who says the world would be a better place without nuclear weapons is naive.

1) build time machine

2) convince Werner Heisenberg to do something other than physics, possibly a career in brewing.

3) profit

QUOTE (mr_genius @ May 31, 2009 -> 08:30 PM)
1) build time machine

2) convince Werner Heisenberg to do something other than physics, possibly a career in brewing.

3) profit

I would use a time machine to go back and bang a couple of women I didn't know I had a chance with and found out after the opportunity was gone.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 31, 2009 -> 07:33 PM)
I would use a time machine to go back and bang a couple of women I didn't know I had a chance with and found out after the opportunity was gone.

that would certainly be one useful purpose of the time machine invention

Good News! The next ruler and commander of their soon to be nuclear arsenal is KJI's alcoholic 26 year old son!

SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea's Kim Jong Il has anointed his 26-year-old son _ said to be competitive, proficient in English and a heavy drinker _ as the next leader of the communist state, news reports said Tuesday.

Two major South Korean newspapers said Tuesday that North Korea's military, party and government officials were informed that Kim Jong Un, the youngest of three, is in line to take the world's first communist dynasty into a third generation.

The announcement was made in the days after North Korea's provocative May 25 nuclear test, the Hankook Ilbo newspaper reported, citing unnamed South Korean lawmakers briefed by the spy agency.

The son already is being hailed as "Commander Kim," and North Koreans are learning the lyrics to a new song praising him as the next leader, the Dong-a Ilbo newspaper said. South Korean lawmaker Park Jie-won told a radio show Tuesday that the regime already is "pledging its allegiance to Kim Jong Un." He said he was briefed by South Korea's spy agency.

The National Intelligence Service would not confirm the reports.

--------

Many believe Jong Un might lead with the backing and guidance of his uncle, Jang Song Thaek, a member of the all-powerful National Defense Commission who has strong military and political connections.

Little is known about Jong Un, the second son of former dancer Ko Yong Hi, who died of cancer in 2004.

He studied at the International School in Bern, Switzerland, in the 1990s. The Swiss weekly news magazine L'Hebdo reported that he used the pseudonym Pak Chol and learned to speak English, German and French.

A classmate recalled him as timid and introverted but an avid skier and basketball player who was a big fan of the NBA star Michael Jordan and action film star Jean-Claude Van Damme. He was humble and friendly with the children of American diplomats and often helped break up fights between classmates, a former school director said.

A car arrived every day after school to pick him up, the report said; classmates and school officials thought he was the driver's son.

The eldest son, Jong Nam, 38, was considered the favorite to succeed his father until he was caught trying to enter Japan on a fake passport in 2001. He reportedly told Japanese officials he wanted to visit Tokyo's Disney resort.

Kim considers the middle son, Jong Chol, too effeminate for the job, according to his former sushi chef.

• 2 weeks later...

UN boosts North Korea sanctions

The United Nations Security Council has voted unanimously to impose new sanctions on communist North Korea.

The move follows a nuclear test carried by the North Koreans last month, in defiance of previous UN resolutions.

The new sanctions are tougher than those that were already in place against the North Koreans.

They include provisions for the inspection of North Korean ships, a tighter ban on arms exports, and financial measures.

On Thursday, the US envoy to North Korea, Stephen Bosworth, said Washington was addressing a "growing threat" from Pyongyang, but still hoped for a diplomatic solution.

Mr Bosworth told a Senate hearing in Washington that the Obama administration's strong preference was to engage in "serious, effective diplomacy".

The draft UN resolution agreed this week calls on member states to inspect North Korean ships suspected of carrying equipment related to weapons of mass destruction.

It also reasserts a UN ban on North Korean nuclear and ballistic missile tests and calls on Pyongyang to go back on its decision to withdraw from the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty (NPT).

In recent weeks, North Korea has fired a long-range and several short-range missiles, and tested a nuclear device in defiance of the UN Security Council.

North Korea has warned that it will use nuclear weapons in a "merciless offensive" if provoked.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 11:33 AM)
So what's the over/under on the next test based on these "tough" sanctions? I say 10 days from now.

Supposedly they believe NK was prepping a third test and that is why CHina and Russia signed off at the UN level.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 10:13 AM)
Supposedly they believe NK was prepping a third test and that is why CHina and Russia signed off at the UN level.

They quite literally can't have much plutonium left if they test a 3rd.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)
They quite literally can't have much plutonium left if they test a 3rd.

The theory behind it is probably this: if we test a few and have one left, we get the deterrent benefit without having a lot of weaponry to maintain.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 12:33 PM)
So what's the over/under on the next test based on these "tough" sanctions? I say 10 days from now.

I hope it's soon. After watching this: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=F5BEFE1AFB1DAFD1 I can't wait for North Korea to commit national suicide. After they take care of Seoul the UN joint bombing campaign can flatten whatever is left. Happy day!