Hey haters

Steve9347

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 26, 2009 -> 06:28 PM)
What did I miss? What's he doing to deserve a ball in the earhole?

Nothing, IMO. But the concensus seems to be that because he does this weird thing at the plate (he's actually running up through the batter's box towards the pitch, like he's a 16" softball player or something), which is considered bush league, he deserves to get nailed.

I don't think anything deserves a head shot, though I could see a pitcher putting one in his hip.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2009 -> 12:38 AM)
Nothing, IMO. But the concensus seems to be that because he does this weird thing at the plate (he's actually running up through the batter's box towards the pitch, like he's a 16" softball player or something), which is considered bush league, he deserves to get nailed.

I don't think anything deserves a head shot, though I could see a pitcher putting one in his hip.

Compare that wierd step motion with how Ichiro bats. He kind of gets that run at it too. Pods is doing pretty good I think.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 26, 2009 -> 06:58 PM)
Compare that wierd step motion with how Ichiro bats. He kind of gets that run at it too. Pods is doing pretty good I think.

Ichiro's swing is much more of a fall/fade away swing than it is taking steps up in the batter's box. Ichiro's body falls towards first base on his swings, even if he does that weird little crossover step type thing, where as Pods is taking two small steps up in the box.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 26, 2009 -> 06:38 PM)

I never said I'd bean him personally but what he's doing has been considered a no-no for a very long time, if he goes up a against a pitcher who takes offense I wouldn't be surprised if he gets one thrown at his head. Hitting him in the hip or back (he got hit yesterday) wouldn't suffice, hell that's what Pods wants. Lucky for Scott there aren't many head hunters left in the game and there's really nothing but young pitchers coming up in the next week or so, no doubt in my mind someone like Pedro Martinez would look to send a message.

I don't think getting hit by a pitch is going to make him change his new approach. It seems to be working for him, no reason to put his tail between his legs and do what the opposing pitcher wants him to do.

Seriously....would you let a major league pitcher intimidate you? It hasn't happened yet, I'd bet if he gets hit, he continues with it.

Edited by onedude

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 26, 2009 -> 07:02 PM)
Ichiro's swing is much more of a fall/fade away swing than it is taking steps up in the batter's box. Ichiro's body falls towards first base on his swings, even if he does that weird little crossover step type thing, where as Pods is taking two small steps up in the box.

Right, PODS is just taking two small shuffle steps. Part of his problem at the plate has always been his balance ie: getting his front foot on the ground quickly, and a level swing plane. His shuffle somehow forces him to plant his feet and also to level off the bat.

Its a pretty good exercise at home if you want to try it. Some of us will lead with our hips when we hit, I do this alot when I golf. Now try it with the two small shuffles very quickly, see how it keeps your shoulders back and level?

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 26, 2009 -> 07:26 PM)
Right, PODS is just taking two small shuffle steps. Part of his problem at the plate has always been his balance ie: getting his front foot on the ground quickly, and a level swing plane. His shuffle somehow forces him to plant his feet and also to level off the bat.

Its a pretty good exercise at home if you want to try it. Some of us will lead with our hips when we hit, I do this alot when I golf. Now try it with the two small shuffles very quickly, see how it keeps your shoulders back and level?

The image of all of SoxTalk doing this in their living rooms makes me laugh.

I still don't really get why it is considered bush league. It isn't like your looking back and stealing a pitch location or something. Or even messing with the pitchers rhthym. How is it any different than someone having a unique way to open there swing, ie, Sheffield with his bat wag, etc.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 26, 2009 -> 07:40 PM)
I still don't really get why it is considered bush league. It isn't like your looking back and stealing a pitch location or something. Or even messing with the pitchers rhthym. How is it any different than someone having a unique way to open there swing, ie, Sheffield with his bat wag, etc.

I don't see it either, at least no advantage, and he's moving when the ball is out of the pitchers hands.

QUOTE (onedude @ May 26, 2009 -> 07:46 PM)
I don't see it either, at least no advantage, and he's moving when the ball is out of the pitchers hands.

Its obviously working for him, therefore the pitcher has to do something to make it less successful. I don't think its bush league, dusting him is akin to a pitcher dusting a guy after he homers off him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 26, 2009 -> 05:50 PM)
Its obviously working for him, therefore the pitcher has to do something to make it less successful. I don't think its bush league, dusting him is akin to a pitcher dusting a guy after he homers off him.

That I agree with. But Hawk is making it sound as if it is some unwritten rule that you don't do what Scotty is doing and I don't see whats wrong with it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 27, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)
That I agree with. But Hawk is making it sound as if it is some unwritten rule that you don't do what Scotty is doing and I don't see whats wrong with it.

I agree, although I also agree that if he keeps having success, pitchers will throw inside on him. Not as retaliation, but just to make him think twice. If this is going to make him successful, it's in the pitchers best interest to stop him from doing it. Throwing inside may do that.

QUOTE (Molto @ May 27, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)
I agree, although I also agree that if he keeps having success, pitchers will throw inside on him. Not as retaliation, but just to make him think twice. If this is going to make him successful, it's in the pitchers best interest to stop him from doing it. Throwing inside may do that.

Yep and thats baseball. You always try to do what you can to stop someone from being sucessful and I'm sure the pitchers will start to bust Pods in and even hit him to see if it can work to get him out of his rhythm.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 26, 2009 -> 08:26 PM)

I actually started doing something similar last year in my softball leagues to keep me from not stepping out and dropping my elbow. I just make sure when I stride to tap my back foot with my lead foot first. I dont know why but it helps.

QUOTE (onedude @ May 26, 2009 -> 07:46 PM)

No he's not. He starts to move when the pitcher is in the process of throwing. No one waits until the ball is out of the pitchers hand to start their swing.