Sox @ Angels 5-26-09

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 27, 2009 -> 04:36 AM)
So the Sox probably would have scored 5 runs if that pitch was called a ball. OK Hawk. I love BA but he fouled the next pitch off and swung and missed the next one after that. Chances are he would have done nothing.

You have to be mentally stronger at the plate than that, especially in that situation.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ May 26, 2009 -> 10:36 PM)
It amazes me that Josh has so much trouble hitting a fastball...

I just don't get it. It's not even like Saunders is throwing 98 mph or has some wicked movement. He's throwing 90-92 mph fastballs with some a little sink. Those are very hittable, especially in a situation where you know he will be coming in with the fastball.

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ May 27, 2009 -> 04:38 AM)
I would rather call up Hebert Perry out of retirement than watch Josh Fields get more at bats on this team.

He's had some of his better ABs the last two days. Definitely better than it was 2 weeks ago.

i'm sorry, 3-0 and 2-1 are completely, completely different. he's been having really solid at bats. no point debating it, but saying brian "would've done it anyway" is just silly.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 26, 2009 -> 10:36 PM)
Hawk was actually right that Brian probably wouldn't have swung at that last pitch had the other not been called a strike. it sets up the high fastball.

Still, there were 2 strikes. And there is very little chance that any hitter would let anything close go by in that situation.

Hawk and Stone are acting like with 2 strikes you should never swing at anything close, and that's BS.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 26, 2009 -> 10:38 PM)
I just don't get it. It's not even like Saunders is throwing 98 mph or has some wicked movement. He's throwing 90-92 mph fastballs with some a little sink. Those are very hittable, especially in a situation where you know he will be coming in with the fastball.

i guess you'd have the same complaint about the rest of the hitters in the league then, given Saunders' 3.12 ERA.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 26, 2009 -> 10:38 PM)

He dropped his shoulder and was trying to put 4 on the board. I think his homer total is weighing on him and will slow his bat down a lot. I don't like him, but I've seen him with a very short stroke in the on deck circle and supposedly he has one during BP, but he really hasn't been able to take it to the actual game.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 26, 2009 -> 10:40 PM)
i'm sorry, 3-0 and 2-1 are completely, completely different. he's been having really solid at bats. no point debating it, but saying brian "would've done it anyway" is just silly.

He was 2-16 with the bases loaded. Saying he would have come through big time is even sillier. What happened happened. Its time to move on.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 27, 2009 -> 04:41 AM)
i guess you'd have the same complaint about the rest of the hitters in the league then, given Saunders' 3.12 ERA.

We've had as many good swings tonight as we did yesterday...we're just facing a better pitcher. I couldn't be happier about the focus of our hitters and their approach tonight.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 26, 2009 -> 10:41 PM)

What are you talking about? Saunders is a really good pitcher. But when you got the bases loaded late in the game vs. Saunders and 3 balls on you, if you don't know the fastball will be coming, you're plain stupid. He has a decent, but far from overpowering fastball, and if you know it's coming, it's very hittable.

Also, Jayson f***ing Nix.