Quentin heading back to Chicago

JDsDirtySox

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:23 AM)
So you would shut down Quentin for the rest of the year because he has plantar fasciitis?

Seems a bit overreactionary

Not the season, but you put him on the 15 day dl, and go from there. If he's close to 100% then you activate him. If not, 60 day dl. Then once again you reexamine him and see where he is. Hopefully by that point he's healed.

But BearSox is right, you dont mortgage his future for this season. He's too valuable to the team to exacerbate the injury. Now I dont know the medical effects it could have on him but one would tend to believe that playing on an injured heel will not heal it and will make it worse.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:23 AM)
So you would shut down Quentin for the rest of the year because he has plantar fasciitis?

Seems a bit overreactionary

shut down was a bad choice of words.

I should have said let him sit as long as a possible until he is 100%, don't rush him back. I'd take how ever long it took for him to get back to 100%. So far, an injured Quentin isn't helping this team. No reason to rush him back into the lineup after 15 days because it's feeling a little better.

From my understanding, plantar fasciitis is something that lingers for a long time, and I think the sooner we get that completely healed the better. We don't want this affecting him in future seasons.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
Not the season, but you put him on the 15 day dl, and go from there. If he's close to 100% then you activate him. If not, 60 day dl. Then once again you reexamine him and see where he is. Hopefully by that point he's healed.

But BearSox is right, you dont mortgage his future for this season. He's too valuable to the team to exacerbate the injury. Now I dont know the medical effects it could have on him but one would tend to believe that playing on an injured heel will not heal it and will make it worse.

From what I have read, plantar fasciitis is not something that goes away. You get the insoles to alleviate the pressure and play through it. I believe Pujols has it, and Thome has had it for a while.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:29 AM)
From what I have read, plantar fasciitis is not something that goes away. You get the insoles to alleviate the pressure and play through it. I believe Pujols has it, and Thome has had it for a while.

This is what wiki says:

Many different treatments have been effective. Without treatment resolution may be delayed for up to and over a year.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasci...AFP2001-Young-1

Lot of good info in here about treatment and such:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis

Well I dont think we know what the medical procedure for this would be. But I am just going by the thought that:

Abscence of Quentin now is acceptable if it means a healthy one for years to come (atleast with this injury, im not saying that healing this one will prevent future wrist injuries or something).

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:33 AM)
This is what wiki says:

Lot of good info in here about treatment and such:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis

yeah I was reading this

Meanwhile, former all-star third baseman Matt Williams underwent an experience in 2000 similar to what Quentin is enduring and suggested that Quentin might try a turf shoe with spikes that are made in San Diego.

"I had shock wave therapy and slept with a boot," said Williams, now a special assistant with the Arizona Diamondbacks. "I tried to play on it and through it."

and this

"There was really no fool-proof plan for it," Williams said. "The right orthodic [insoles] helped take care of it."

Thome said he has sported the special shoes for nearly three years.

"They've been great," Thome said. "They help my back. I still get pretty sore, but they definitely relieve some of the stress, no question."

It is something that nags. Its probably going to bug him for the rest of the year, but it can be played through

Black Jack McDowell's take:

From the first rumblings of Carlos Quentin's heel and foot problems, I knew from the brief descriptions we the public were receiving, that it was not good news.

Now that the White Sox training staff has confirmed what I was certain of for a while, Quentin is suffering from plantar fasciitis, I'll tell you it is not good news for Quentin or the White Sox.

Plantar fasciitis is basically an irritation or slight tearing of the long, thick band of tissue that connects the ball of the foot to the heel. Once it is irritated during a season with such a grueling schedule as baseball, it will be a daily mess for all involved. There is no quick fix.

Cortisone shots will not alleviate the problem. When White Sox trainer Herm Schneider reported that Quentin felt "a pop" in the area in yesterday's rout of the Angels, and interim manager Joey Cora was quoted as saying "I hear that's a good thing," that should shed some light on the severity of the injury.

You see, the only remedy for Plantar fasciitis is to surgically sever the connective tissue and proceed without it! But that procedure would end Quentin's season today. So, the plan of action (which I have witnessed first hand several times over my career) is to have the player push through the pain, as much as is bearable, and HOPE the ligament will "pop" and tear itself!

Gotta love what an athlete will do to stay in the lineup! And let me tell you, it is a very painful injury that colors every move Quentin will make on the field, let alone every step he takes off it.

White Sox fans should hope for that big "pop" sooner, rather than later.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 27, 2009 -> 01:33 PM)
Black Jack McDowell's take:

From the first rumblings of Carlos Quentin's heel and foot problems, I knew from the brief descriptions we the public were receiving, that it was not good news.

Now that the White Sox training staff has confirmed what I was certain of for a while, Quentin is suffering from plantar fasciitis, I'll tell you it is not good news for Quentin or the White Sox.

Plantar fasciitis is basically an irritation or slight tearing of the long, thick band of tissue that connects the ball of the foot to the heel. Once it is irritated during a season with such a grueling schedule as baseball, it will be a daily mess for all involved. There is no quick fix.

Cortisone shots will not alleviate the problem. When White Sox trainer Herm Schneider reported that Quentin felt "a pop" in the area in yesterday's rout of the Angels, and interim manager Joey Cora was quoted as saying "I hear that's a good thing," that should shed some light on the severity of the injury.

You see, the only remedy for Plantar fasciitis is to surgically sever the connective tissue and proceed without it! But that procedure would end Quentin's season today. So, the plan of action (which I have witnessed first hand several times over my career) is to have the player push through the pain, as much as is bearable, and HOPE the ligament will "pop" and tear itself!

Gotta love what an athlete will do to stay in the lineup! And let me tell you, it is a very painful injury that colors every move Quentin will make on the field, let alone every step he takes off it.

White Sox fans should hope for that big "pop" sooner, rather than later.

This would be a huge mistake. Any time the surgical resection of the plantar fascia is done, the results poor. It rarely resolves the pain and the foot become very unstable and causes excess wear on the posterior tibialis, anterior tibialis and flexor hallucis tendons. Tendonitis will appear in these tendons and everything is a mess.

His description is also somewhat superficial. The plantar fascia is a band of tissue which goes from the front part of the heel to the base of the first 4 toes. Its primary purpose is to support the arch especially during the latter part of gait when the heel comes off the ground. When the heel comes off the ground the toes extend and this motion pulls the plantar fascia tight and supports the arch. This is why running will aggravate very quickly. If its inflammed even putting weight on the arch hurts. The arch supports are used as a replacement for some of this support.

Conservative treatment of shoe wear modification, rest and atni-inflammatory modalities is the best approach. He will need to miss time and it will probably be extended time but unless he wants it to be a lifetime long problem he needs to do it now.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 27, 2009 -> 03:21 PM)
This would be a huge mistake. Any time the surgical resection of the plantar fascia is done, the results poor. It rarely resolves the pain and the foot become very unstable and causes excess wear on the posterior tibialis, anterior tibialis and flexor hallucis tendons. Tendonitis will appear in these tendons and everything is a mess.

His description is also somewhat superficial. The plantar fascia is a band of tissue which goes from the front part of the heel to the base of the first 4 toes. Its primary purpose is to support the arch especially during the latter part of gait when the heel comes off the ground. When the heel comes off the ground the toes extend and this motion pulls the plantar fascia tight and supports the arch. This is why running will aggravate very quickly. If its inflammed even putting weight on the arch hurts. The arch supports are used as a replacement for some of this support.

Conservative treatment of shoe wear modification, rest and atni-inflammatory modalities is the best approach. He will need to miss time and it will probably be extended time but unless he wants it to be a lifetime long problem he needs to do it now.

I'm so glad you post here.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 27, 2009 -> 02:21 PM)

What is meant by "extended time"? Are we talking 15 days or are we talking several weeks or months?

Thanks.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 27, 2009 -> 04:13 PM)
What is meant by "extended time"? Are we talking 15 days or are we talking several weeks or months?

Thanks.

As stated before it will linger for most of the season most likely. 15 days will help it to feel better but tissue takes 3-4 weeks to go through the inflammatory phase and begin healing. If they do the 15 DL my guess would be he would still be limited and probably need some extra time as the season goes on. If they did 30 days he may be able to go the rest of the season without missing much else.

All that being said this is a tricky injury that really varies from person to person. With the drastic treatments they've already tried the above scenario is most likely the case.

Edited by ptatc

Guy who dropped him is an idiot.

I dunno about that. CQ hasn't produced much yet and this guy might be in a league with a lot of decent OF's available.

If you guys were me, would you drop Nolasco? Sorry for the fantasy question.

Carlos' injury problems have to be a concern to the Sox. Sort of like Jermaine earlier

in his career, pre Sox.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2009 -> 08:46 AM)
If TCQ goes DL, the smart call-up is Josh Kroeger, who has put up an .868 OPS in May at Charlotte. Unfortunately, we won't get the smart call-up, we'll get the Wise one.

:D good one

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 27, 2009 -> 04:48 PM)
As stated before it will linger for most of the season most likely. 15 days will help it to feel better but tissue takes 3-4 weeks to go through the inflammatory phase and begin healing. If they do the 15 DL my guess would be he would still be limited and probably need some extra time as the season goes on. If they did 30 days he may be able to go the rest of the season without missing much else.

All that being said this is a tricky injury that really varies from person to person. With the drastic treatments they've already tried the above scenario is most likely the case.

I had a bout of this about two years ago. Seems like it lasted about a month, maybe a little more. It was very painful in the mornings or after sitting for a period of time, but once I started walking around it eased up (slowly). My doctor gave me a couple of exercises and it hasn't returned since. Every once in a while I'll feel a little tightness in the arch, but nothing like the full pain that was there, and stretching takes care of it. I'm not a professional athlete of course, so my body doesn't take the same kind of pounding, also my case may not have been that severe.

For me, it was a temporary problem. Hopefully for CQ too.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 28, 2009 -> 12:33 AM)
I dunno about that. CQ hasn't produced much yet and this guy might be in a league with a lot of decent OF's available.

If you guys were me, would you drop Nolasco? Sorry for the fantasy question.

Carlos' injury problems have to be a concern to the Sox. Sort of like Jermaine earlier

in his career, pre Sox.

In my league, I have both Manny and Q....unfortunately, I can't move Manny to the DL (as he's suspended not injured) so until this gets resolved, I'm basically without 2 OFers. If this lingers much longer, I may have to look at the option of dropping Q as well. I'd hate to do it though and hope that a miracle occurs soon that helps both the White Sox and my fantasy team.