Sports Officials ~ Who are the most swayed by superstars?

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which officials are swayed by a players stardom the most?

• Baseball (Calling Balls and Strikes)
    • Basketball
    • Football
    • Hockey
    • Boxing

QUOTE (T R U @ May 26, 2009 -> 11:49 PM)
No one should vote football

The only time there is shady business in football is rule changes

Ex. All the new rules so no one can touch Tom Brady

I still voted football specifically because of that (voted football and basketball, we can choose more than one). The officials still blatantly favor offensive players, especially quarterbacks.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 26, 2009 -> 10:11 PM)
I still voted football specifically because of that (voted football and basketball, we can choose more than one). The officials still blatantly favor offensive players, especially quarterbacks.

Right, but in a poll that is "Who is the most swayed by superstars" the NBA is far and away the winner. I don't think there should have been multiple choices, but since there are its not like you're wrong or anything.

QUOTE (T R U @ May 27, 2009 -> 12:48 AM)
Right, but in a poll that is "Who is the most swayed by superstars" the NBA is far and away the winner. I don't think there should have been multiple choices, but since there are its not like you're wrong or anything.

If it was "choose one" then I def. would've chosen NBA.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 27, 2009 -> 09:56 AM)
Basketball is a joke when it comes to officiating.

The person who selected hockey has no idea what they are talking about.

I selected basketball b/c it is obviously by far the sport most affected by "stardom officiating".

I can see an argument made for hockey that stars get calls though. Too often it seems hockey referees call based on results rather than what was done. If it was Lidstrom who hit Burisch in game 3 i doubt he gets a gamer. But it was Kronwall on Havlat so he got tossed for a borderline clean hit. NHL officials are very protective of their star players IMO. Maybe it isnt the officials calling in favor of stars in the NHL but more of a pussification of the game being driven by Buttman and Cornhole Campbell that's bothering me. But it does seem to me that hockey referees do make calls often based on players reputations.

But ya, it isn't even in the same universe as the NBA

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2009 -> 11:05 AM)
The near unanimity here makes one wonder what the Hell the NBA officials are actually being taught.l

it's insane how much superstars or their teams in the playoffs get away with or a favorable call. The last minure of the Cavs/Magic regulation last night is a great example of that. If that's Hedo on the other end instead of James driving it's not called and the refs say he stumbled on his own, then the ridiculous no call when Varejo (sp?) undercuts and moves Howard off his spot. Luckily the Magic overcame it.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 27, 2009 -> 12:09 PM)
it's insane how much superstars or their teams in the playoffs get away with or a favorable call. The last minure of the Cavs/Magic regulation last night is a great example of that. If that's Hedo on the other end instead of James driving it's not called and the refs say he stumbled on his own, then the ridiculous no call when Varejo (sp?) undercuts and moves Howard off his spot. Luckily the Magic overcame it.

To the day I die I will believe the refs cost the Kings Game 6 (and the series) of the Lakers series several years back b/c they called a foul every time sometime dared to breath in the direction of Shaq.

I also believe that they were instructed to do so.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 27, 2009 -> 09:22 AM)
To the day I die I will believe the refs cost the Kings Game 6 (and the series) of the Lakers series several years back b/c they called a foul every time sometime dared to breath in the direction of Shaq.

Everyone believes that.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 27, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)

You mean it isnt ok to intentionally elbow Mike Bibby in the face on an inbounds pass? No way!!?!?

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 27, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)
You mean it isnt ok to intentionally elbow Mike Bibby in the face on an inbounds pass? No way!!?!?

What are you talking about? Mike Bibby and Doug Christie's chins both fouled Kobe's elbow. It's an easy call.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2009 -> 11:01 AM)
NBA and not even close. They invented the superstar call, the coach's complaint, and the flop.

This

Not to mention theyve caught refs fixing games. Who knows what other things are going on.