Chris Young

SoxFan1

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 27, 2009 -> 12:42 AM)
He's hitting .173 with 3 HR and 9 RBI. He's walked 7 times and struck out 44 times. Just thought I should bring this up.

What is really weird is how you defend Josh Fields every chance you get but rip this guy. They have basically been the same offensive player in the major leagues except Young runs better and plays better defense and is younger. They both suck, but why would Young's stats at this point be tell-tale, at least so important you have to make a thread about it, and Fields' stats mean very little? Again, Young is a younger player.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 27, 2009 -> 08:15 AM)
What is really weird is how you defend Josh Fields every chance you get but rip this guy. They have basically been the same offensive player in the major leagues except Young runs better and plays better defense and is younger. They both suck, but why would Young's stats at this point be tell-tale, at least so important you have to make a thread about it, and Fields' stats mean very little? Again, Young is a younger player.

Chris Young has had 3x the (meaningful) PAs in the majors, he has been well over the amount of PAs you need to see before you can judge how well he'll do in the majors for a while now (~800-1000) while Fields has only had about 600, with a season where he was injured and sent back to AAA - through no fault of his own - in between. Also Young has never hit for a high average in the pros, ever. There's really nothing to suggest a ceiling he's going to reach where he suddenly becomes a .290-.300 type hitter, I don't know why some people seem to think that. He isn't any more likely to do that and become a leadoff hitter than Fields.

Fields is 26, Young is 25. There is not even a full year in between them, Fields born in December 1982 IIRC and Young born in September 1983. That's another reach.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 27, 2009 -> 08:30 AM)
Chris Young has had 3x the (meaningful) PAs in the majors, he has been well over the amount of PAs you need to see before you can judge how well he'll do in the majors for a while now (~800-1000) while Fields has only had about 600, with a season where he was injured and sent back to AAA - through no fault of his own - in between. Also Young has never hit for a high average in the pros, ever. There's really nothing to suggest a ceiling he's going to reach where he suddenly becomes a .290-.300 type hitter, I don't know why some people seem to think that. He isn't any more likely to do that and become a leadoff hitter than Fields.

Fields is 26, Young is 25. There is not even a full year in between them, Fields born in December 1982 IIRC and Young born in September 1983. That's another reach.

As I said, they both suck.

So you are washed up at 25 because you got to the big leagues sooner, but 26 there's still a learning curve. Gotcha. I'd bet $1 million if KW was offered Chris Young straight up for Josh Fields right now he'd do it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)
As I said, they both suck.

So you are washed up at 25 because you got to the big leagues sooner, but 26 there's still a learning curve. Gotcha. I'd bet $1 million if KW was offered Chris Young straight up for Josh Fields right now he'd do it.

You didn't even read my post, just went straight for the blanket assumptions my post was actually in response to. That's pretty awesome.

I've never been a big Josh Fields guy btw, my opinion of him is the same opinion I have of any struggling young player (let him play, and sink or swim).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 27, 2009 -> 07:15 AM)

Shhhh!!!

Stop making sense!

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 27, 2009 -> 09:26 AM)
I was saying this guy wasn't anything for a long time, but everyone was in love with his "5-tool potential!"

Young ain't no ball player, he's an athlete pretending to be a ball player.

Thats because you are a prophet and know all

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 27, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)
Thats because you are a prophet and know all

I am usually right. ;)

Except, screw you Ryan Sweeney. Start freaking hitting the ball. However, I'd still take Sweeney over Swisher, Betemit, Marquez, and Nunez combined.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 27, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)
I am usually right. ;)

Except, screw you Ryan Sweeney. Start freaking hitting the ball. However, I'd still take Sweeney over Swisher, Betemit, Marquez, and Nunez combined.

wow, right now that's like picking a girl at last call at a 4:00 a.m. bar... I guess if forced I would have to pick Swisher because of his hot start, although he has been crashing down at a ridiculous pace lately, just because he has a few full years in MLB as an above average player, but I can see your Sweeney pick since he's 24, but a 72 OPS+ doesn't point to a great start as a MLB player

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 27, 2009 -> 07:15 AM)

Well, I bring this up mainly because of the whole Javier Vazquez thing, which I thought would be pretty clear. I don't see what Josh Fields has to do with this at all actually. And if you're going to harp on it in every single freaking thread, I'm just not going to discuss it anymore than it needs to be. Stop picking stupid fights.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 27, 2009 -> 04:12 AM)
Good thing Arizona threw all that cash at him before seeing if he could repeat his success. Gee, how did they manage to get into financial trouble?

That and gave Byrnes $30M.... Young's body language is absolutely horrific right now...he's beatin' before he even steps in the box.

I would take Flowers, Gilmore, and Rodriguez (I won't even mention Lilly) over Chris Young/Javy Vazquez.

However, I still like Young because he can play stellar defense and hit for power. However, he won't hit for a high average so his value is in the sense that he plays a premium defensive position with power. I also think a change of scenery might help him, although I clearly was a bit off in him. That said, I was touting him up before he ever was a prospect so that should be worth something because he clearly turned into a top 20 prospect in all of baseball at one point in time. Oh and I was also fine with the Javy trade although I always said I'd have preferred to move Brian Anderson (but the Dbacks preferred Young).