The starting pitcher the White Sox WILL acquire

Steve9347

Nationals designated RHP Daniel Cabrera for assignment.

Cabrera, long on potential and short on realizing it, will certainly land somewhere on a minor league pact. The Nationals grew fed up with Cabrera and his abysmal 7.88 BB/9. He had been removed from the rotation last week. The move puts the Nationals at 12 pitchers.

I'm not saying I like the idea, but as I called the Pods signing this one is imminent.

Edited by Steve9347

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2009 -> 09:08 AM)
I hate to say this, but Clayton Richard is better than he is. He wouldnt accept a minor league assignment, so unless he is in our rotation, he's not coming here.

If he couldn't stick in the Nationals' rotation, he better be willing to accept a minor league assigment somewhere, because otherwise he's going to be sitting at home.

Cabrera's velocity in Washington has been way down and that was one of the big reasons he had such upside. Without that velocity and with his command, he's flat out atrocious. I was a big backer of trying to get Cabrera at the right price and seeing if a change of scenery would work, but I wouldn't bend over backwards to get him. That said, I wouldn't mind the signing as long as it was as a minor leaguer knowing he has a shot, but he'd have to pitch his way to the majors. I wouldn't want him signed to be on our 25 man roster currently.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2009 -> 11:13 AM)
If he couldn't stick in the Nationals' rotation, he better be willing to accept a minor league assigment somewhere, because otherwise he's going to be sitting at home.

........Counting the $2.6 million the Nationals foolishly gave him. If Leo Mazzone couldn't harness him and the Orioles gave up on him, I can't imagine why someone would actually pay him a good wage to do what he does.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 27, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
Cabrera's velocity in Washington has been way down and that was one of the big reasons he had such upside. Without that velocity and with his command, he's flat out atrocious. I was a big backer of trying to get Cabrera at the right price and seeing if a change of scenery would work, but I wouldn't bend over backwards to get him. That said, I wouldn't mind the signing as long as it was as a minor leaguer knowing he has a shot, but he'd have to pitch his way to the majors. I wouldn't want him signed to be on our 25 man roster currently.

Do we need another starter at this point on the 25 man roster? I don't think so, but as you stated above someone for the AAA club and hopefully work throuhg any problems he has would be worth a shot. Clayton Richard and/or Jose C would be my choices at this point.

IF he would accept an assignment to AAA, I'd sign him in an instant. You can't teach his stuff.

That's what they say about Macdougal too.

If we sign him what do we have to pay him? I'd take him if it means getting rid of Gobble.

If you want to know who KW is really targeting, I would take a look at Dan Haren in AZ. The Dbacks are 11 games back and they will sell off some of those guys. We are in a position to give them 2 sp's in Poreda and Richard and some minor league players for Haren if need be. He is a guy I would like to target.

2007: 3.07 ERA 1.21 WHIP

2008: 3.33 ERA 1.13 WHIP

2009: 2.57 ERA .90 WHIP

Salary:

2009: 7.5

2010:8.25

2011:12.75

2012:12.75

2013: 15.5 team option or 3.5 million buyout

Thats not a bad commitment.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
If you want to know who KW is really targeting, I would take a look at Dan Haren in AZ. The Dbacks are 11 games back and they will sell off some of those guys. We are in a position to give them 2 sp's in Poreda and Richard and some minor league players for Haren if need be. He is a guy I would like to target.

Salary:

Yeah, I've wanted Haren for awhile. If that happened, I'd be giddy.

Salary:

See...and I thought your brain was clogged with malted hops and bong resin. That's thinkin'!!!

Salary:

One could make a pretty solid argument that he's better than Peavy.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 27, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
Yeah, I've wanted Haren for awhile. If that happened, I'd be giddy.

Look at the signs:

Dbacks are Wayyyy out of it

Sox deal with AZ consistently

dbacks could use some young pitching for their already talented rotation

He's already the 3rd highest paid player and starting next year willl be the 2nd highest paid then will be the highest paid.

Garland is gone after this season.

Webb only has ONE more year under contract then will need to be resigned or replaced.

Sox have 2 starters to offer for now and at least 1 to contribute in a few seasons.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 27, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)
Haren will cost a lot more than Peavy, if he's even available.

Ummm...why? Is it because the Padres are in a deeper financial hole and would take less? Please explain why when you post stuff like this...cuts down on post count.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 27, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
Ummm...why? Is it because the Padres are in a deeper financial hole and would take less? Please explain why when you post stuff like this...cuts down on post count.

The Padres have to trade Peavy or trim a lot of payroll elsewhere. The D-Backs don't have to trade Harden, and he's signed for a lot less money. I'd take either of them, but there is no way Poreda and Richard and a couple of lower level prospects get you Harden.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 27, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)
Haren will cost a lot more than Peavy, if he's even available.

Well, I disagree. Peavy is younger though not by much, but is probably considered a better pitcher overall than Haren. The obvious downside is his contract and his no trade.