The starting pitcher the White Sox WILL acquire

Steve9347

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
The dbacks also (from what I remember) have nothing that looks like an impact arm in their system as of now. Poreda would immediately go to the top of the heap.

So you post time and time again how Poreda is nothing but a bullpen arm, now you say he'd be very attractive to a team that needs an impact arm and would be willing to trade a very reasonably priced ace in order to get him. It doesn't make sense.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 27, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
The Padres have to trade Peavy or trim a lot of payroll elsewhere. The D-Backs don't have to trade Harden, and he's signed for a lot less money. I'd take either of them, but there is no way Poreda and Richard and a couple of lower level prospects get you Harden.

I could trade my dog for Harden at this point. Now for Haren, I think a similar package gets it done to be honest. The Dbacks have to cut payroll eventually, and they will send off some vets pretty soon. Now if we could throw them two impact arms and possibly a young bat, it probably could get done.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 27, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)
So you post time and time again how Poreda is nothing but a bullpen arm, now you say he'd be very attractive to a team that needs an impact arm and would be willing to trade a very reasonably priced ace in order to get him. It doesn't make sense.

My opinion doesnt matter to the GM's in baseball obviously as evidenced in the Peavy deal.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2009 -> 02:57 PM)
I could trade my dog for Harden at this point. Now for Haren, I think a similar package gets it done to be honest. The Dbacks have to cut payroll eventually, and they will send off some vets pretty soon. Now if we could throw them two impact arms and possibly a young bat, it probably could get done.

There probably would be some competition for Haren if he became available. A lot more teams would be able to enter into the bidding, and he's a lot cheaper. Its going to cost a lot more than Richard and Poreda. We don't even know for sure who the other 2 were except it wasn't Beckham.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2009 -> 12:50 PM)
Look at the signs:

Dbacks are Wayyyy out of it

Sox deal with AZ consistently

dbacks could use some young pitching for their already talented rotation

He's already the 3rd highest paid player and starting next year willl be the 2nd highest paid then will be the highest paid.

Garland is gone after this season.

Webb only has ONE more year under contract then will need to be resigned or replaced.

Sox have 2 starters to offer for now and at least 1 to contribute in a few seasons.

If the Sox wanted to, they could probably get one of the Dbacks higher paid players off there hands as well. Say they wanted a Jon Garland as well, they Sox would probably actually be able to get him and actually be able to give up less for Haren (although not much less).

I personally would make a deal for Haren involving any three of our pitching prospects. I don't think thats enough though.

Haren would be great! Unfortanatley i can see Haren being their version of Mark Buerhle. The guy you build a new rotation around. Now if they want to infuse young pitching into their system, trading Haren is the way to go. As of right now a Richard/Poreda combo would be hard for any GM to pass up.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2009 -> 01:52 PM)
The dbacks also (from what I remember) have nothing that looks like an impact arm in their system as of now. Poreda would immediately go to the top of the heap.

I LOVE the idea Rock...plus Haren has AL experience. The D-Bags (as people out here are starting to call them) still have Scherzer too. Wouldn't be surprised to see them start dumping salary though. Hell...they can't get anybody to go to the games. Haren has been just sick this year. Has a 2.5 something ERA...and has 4 losses. The D-Bags really are bad.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 27, 2009 -> 12:52 PM)
Ummm...why? Is it because the Padres are in a deeper financial hole and would take less? Please explain why when you post stuff like this...cuts down on post count.

He's put up great numbers in both the AL and NL and while in the NL he's been in at least a relatively offensive park. He's young and has a bit cheaper contract and the Dbacks dont' have to trade him. If they do, I'd be all over it though and would probably even be willing to part with Beckham to get him. But if you give up Beckham you have to reduce the price elsewhere.

Still, the Dbacks probably have little interest in Gbeck, but I could see some sort of deal worked out, if the Dbacks do in fact want to move him. I'd f***ing love Haren or Webb.

Poreda and Richard would definitely be involved for Haren. The Diamondbacks are one team that would actually probably really interested in Allen as they really don't have anyone for 1B now or in the future. Maybe they would be interested in BA as well as Young has been sucking and they lack OF's on the major league team right now.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ May 27, 2009 -> 03:06 PM)
Haren would be great! Unfortanatley i can see Haren being their version of Mark Buerhle. The guy you build a new rotation around. Now if they want to infuse young pitching into their system, trading Haren is the way to go. As of right now a Richard/Poreda combo would be hard for any GM to pass up.

Why wouldn't Webb be "their version of Mark Buehrle?" He came up with them, has been their ace for the past 4 years or so, and is kind of like their face of the franchise along with Upton.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 27, 2009 -> 03:12 PM)
Why wouldn't Webb be "their version of Mark Buehrle?" He came up with them, has been their ace for the past 4 years or so, and is kind of like their face of the franchise along with Upton.

Is Webb hurt this year?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 27, 2009 -> 03:19 PM)
He has shoulder issues and won't be pitching for a while.

So how will the DBacks look at this, will it be that they need Haren as the foundation for the future then as the healthy guy, or do they look and say that he's healthy lets get what we can for him?

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 27, 2009 -> 01:09 PM)
Poreda and Richard would definitely be involved for Haren. The Diamondbacks are one team that would actually probably really interested in Allen as they really don't have anyone for 1B now or in the future. Maybe they would be interested in BA as well as Young has been sucking and they lack OF's on the major league team right now.

I'd do that deal just to see how many of the posters at this forum have their heads completely short circuit and explode when Chris Young is benched and becomes a backup OF behind .300 hitting Brian Anderson.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 27, 2009 -> 03:12 PM)

I really do hope Webb is 'their version of Buerhle'. I'm just saying, Haren is the guy i would build around.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 27, 2009 -> 03:21 PM)
So how will the DBacks look at this, will it be that they need Haren as the foundation for the future then as the healthy guy, or do they look and say that he's healthy lets get what we can for him?

I personally don't understand while they would be holding a fire sale for him. I think some on this board just assume if a team is bad they dump all their players making any money for prospects so they can be bad longer. He's reasonably signed. He won't even be making Javy Vazquez money until the year after next. Its totally different than the Peavy situation. Even if he was available there would be more bidders for him and Poreda and Richard aren't going to be at the the top of the shopping list.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 27, 2009 -> 03:27 PM)
I'd be surprised if you could get Haren without parting with Beckham.

I'd be surprised if you could get Haren by parting with Beckham. Talk about wanting to destroy a fan base. Trade a guy signed reasonably and long term who is an ace for a bunch of prospects.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 27, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)
I'd be surprised if you could get Haren by parting with Beckham. Talk about wanting to destroy a fan base. Trade a guy signed reasonably and long term who is an ace for a bunch of prospects.

Oakland did it.

And apparently DBacks dont have much of a fan base as is.

Not implying that it will happen, just sayin.

To me the thing that makes the Dbacks harder to deal with is the fact that they do have a lot of talent on that club so you could make a case that with just a few minor moves or just them waking up, they could immediately emerge as a world series contender. They have that much talent, its just a matter of them playing up to there ability (of course thats been the case for a couple seasons).

They tend to remind me a bit of the early 2000 White Sox in that sense. Different teams, but young players with talent who just never were able to put it all together.

Oh and they won't give Haren away, he's very valuabel to them so unless there is a mandate to cut salary I don't know if they trade him unless they are blown away. Now if Webb is in a different spot, I could maybe understand they move him if they don't plan on offering him a bit long-term deal.

All of these deals will come down to the economics because teams won't just willingly give up on mid 20's front of the rotation pitchers at or near there prime years.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 27, 2009 -> 01:30 PM)

Beckham isn't a fit in Arizona. And the sox have the prospects to do the deal, the question is whether Arizona is ready to. They've been a bit better as of late and unless they are giving up and have other plans in mind, they are still a team that isn't far from contending, imo (ie, they have talent), so they aren't just moving Haren to being there rebuilding process.

For example, Houston might move Oswalt because they are that far off from competing.