The starting pitcher the White Sox WILL acquire

Steve9347

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 27, 2009 -> 01:35 PM)
Beckham isn't a fit in Arizona.

They're not ready to give up on Stephen Drew yet? Based on the Josh Fields standard he's well past being a bust.

(Edit: Sorry, I know, I shouldn't have dragged that in to another thread)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 27, 2009 -> 03:32 PM)
Oakland did it.

And apparently DBacks dont have much of a fan base as is.

Not implying that it will happen, just sayin.

Oakland couldn't pay him. The D-Backs gave him an extension. Trading him would be worse than the Sox trading Buerhle for some prospects in July if they are out of it.

For those suggesting Oswalt, I read this on benmaller:

Astros righthander Roy Oswalt is another name that has been rumored. But Houston general manager Ed Wade, in the past at least, has not been inclined to easily give up on a season. Last year when most people thought he should be selling, he added lefthander Randy Wolf instead. Wade was vindicated, by the way, when the Astros got back into contention by winning 15 of 18. -- Philadelphia Daily News

Why are we talking about Haren?

Because there is absolutely no way the DBacks are going to gut their minor league system for a reasonably priced front-line starter and then turn around and deal him for prospects.

Not.going.to.happen

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rtnerId=rss_mlb

This is just why I thought at least they would listen to our offer.

2 pitchers for the min vs Haren who is increasing in salary. It sounds to me like economically speaking, they arent doing very well. Of course it would have to be a compelling offer, but Haren to me is the perfect guy for KW to be agressive for. For the second tier, I would say someone like Garland, Penny, Bedard.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2009 -> 01:46 PM)
They're not ready to give up on Stephen Drew yet? Based on the Josh Fields standard he's well past being a bust.

(Edit: Sorry, I know, I shouldn't have dragged that in to another thread)

Are you kidding me? Stephen Drew and Josh Fields don't belong in the same sentence. Drew is an upper echelon athlete who put up a .836 OPS last season (2nd full year) at the shortstop position. Now his first full year was a dissapointment and he's struggled this year, but you don't write a guy off that his type of potential.

And if they wanted to I'd gladly trade Josh Fields for Stephen Drew, but unfortunately the Dbacks would laugh at that deal. That said, I wouldn't be shocked if Drew eventually goes elsewhere and excels as the Dbacks have quite a few guys that are just so much better than there numbers.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 27, 2009 -> 01:50 PM)
Are you kidding me? Stephen Drew and Josh Fields don't belong in the same sentence. Drew is an upper echelon athlete who put up a .836 OPS last season (2nd full year) at the shortstop position. Now his first full year was a dissapointment and he's struggled this year, but you don't write a guy off that his type of potential.

And if they wanted to I'd gladly trade Josh Fields for Stephen Drew, but unfortunately the Dbacks would laugh at that deal. That said, I wouldn't be shocked if Drew eventually goes elsewhere and excels as the Dbacks have quite a few guys that are just so much better than there numbers.

You're totally missing the point of the sarcastic remark, but I'll leave it at that.

Interesting quote from Rock's article:

"My sense is that any trade where a team is taking on payroll will be more difficult this year than it has been in the past," Byrnes said. "There may be few teams that have the capability of doing that. As has been the case in a lot of trades in recent years, I think there's sort of a sliding scale -- if a team is going to subsidize some of the contract, they are going to want more talent back as a result."

Money, money, money....if someone has money or willing to take on payroll, they could really get some great players.

You guys are f***ing nuts if you think anything close to Poreda + Richard is going to get Haren here.

Haren originally went for Brett Anderson, Dana Eveland, Greg Smith, Aaron Cunningham, Carlos Gonzalez and Chris Carter. That's nothing to sneeze at, and now Haren is extended further and under team control even longer.

From the Sox, and not including Beckham, we're probably talking something like Poreda, Richard, 2 of Hudson/Carter/Upchurch/Infante, 2 of Jordan Danks/Allen/Viciedo, and then probably a reliever like Jones, O'Neill, Link, Omogrosso, Santeliz, etc.

If the Sox could get Haren for Richard + any combination of minor league players not named Beckham, Allen, Viciedo, or Danks, then I do that deal. I would literally give them Richard + Poreda + Shelby and then let them scout the entire farm system this whole year and decide on any 4 trade-eligible players at a later date. Haren is going to cost a hell of a lot if he's even out there, but he's definitely someone worth the gamble. But still, I think he's their franchise piece at this point and the future teams will be built around him.

Webb seems to be the guy who will be on the block, and the Sox could make a real run at him over the offseason. If we can get a window to talk extension before completing the deal, then we have the pieces to do it. Webb would be a terrific fit for our park and he'll come cheaper since he's currently a FA after 2010 and will be due lots and lots of money afterwards. Plus there's the injury thing. I think he's our guy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
You're totally missing the point of the sarcastic remark, but I'll leave it at that.

No I understand your taking a shot at those ripping on Fields. And since I continue to fall in the camp that doesn't buy into Fields and wanted him traded for years, I think its a bush league argument.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 27, 2009 -> 03:51 PM)
Interesting quote from Rock's article:

Money, money, money....if someone has money or willing to take on payroll, they could really get some great players.

I think he meant: "If someone would please just take Eric Byrnes contract off our hands I will give you whatever you want."

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 27, 2009 -> 03:52 PM)
You guys are f***ing nuts if you think anything close to Poreda + Richard is going to get Haren here.

I dont think anyone on this board thought that just Richard and Poreda would bring us Haren, just so you know.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2009 -> 01:52 PM)
I think he meant: "If someone would please just take Eric Byrnes contract off our hands I will give you whatever you want."

Ya, that was another name I was going to throw out. I think if the Dbacks were smart they'd package him in a Haren deal. That is of course if they are looking to just clear payroll. If they are looking to get the most talent package and money isn't much of an object its another story.

For example, even if the Dbacks paid a significant portion of Byrnes salary and gave us Haren, we'd be talking about a much smaller packaeg for Haren. Would the Sox do it, probably not, but again, it might be the only way to get Haren without giving up our top 3 or 4 prospects.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)
I dont think anyone on this board thought that just Richard and Poreda would bring us Haren, just so you know.

I'm not sure he can keep doing it...but if Richard can keep throwing anything like what he's done the last couple starts, I'm not sure I'd want to do that deal either.

I'd gladly eat the rest of Byrnes terrible contract if it helped us get Haren.

Byrnes only has 1 year left on his contract, and while 11 million is a lot for a 4th OF who was likely a juicer, getting Haren in the process would be worth it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2009 -> 03:56 PM)
I'm not sure he can keep doing it...but if Richard can keep throwing anything like what he's done the last couple starts, I'm not sure I'd want to do that deal either.

I personally thik Richard is about to hit his peak value. I still envision him as a guy who can get through the lineup twice, but not 3 times. If you can bring in a top of the rotation guy with him as a piece, you do it.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 27, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)

Byrnes only has 1 year left on his contract, and while 11 million is a lot for a 4th OF who was likely a juicer, getting Haren in the process would be worth it.

You have to remember that it just isn't the Sox's mo. However, if the Dbacks send a few million, you could make a case that it wouldn't be any more of a financial committment than what the Sox would have had to do with Peavy so maybe it makes sense.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)
I personally thik Richard is about to hit his peak value. I still envision him as a guy who can get through the lineup twice, but not 3 times. If you can bring in a top of the rotation guy with him as a piece, you do it.

Depends on what else is included and who the top of the rotation guy is. Richard's been a pleasant surprise so far...its still possible you're right and he can't keep that up, but that's why they play the games.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 27, 2009 -> 03:57 PM)

That $11M could very well get you a very good player on a 2 year deal this offseason, I also don't think the Sox are in a financial position to pay Byrnes' salary. $11M is a huge chunk of this team's payroll.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2009 -> 01:59 PM)
Depends on what else is included and who the top of the rotation guy is. Richard's been a pleasant surprise so far...its still possible you're right and he can't keep that up, but that's why they play the games.

If Richard is valued as an upper echelon prospect, it might be the time to trade him. Depends on what the Sox think of him. Still, he's a very valuable prospect and I've always said that. He can start, pitch in relief and at worse will be a very good reliever for a long time.

I'd deal him in the right deal but I also have no problem sticking him in the rotation and seeing what happens cause I wouldn't be shocked to see him turn into a pretty f***ing solid #3 or #4 and given how cheap he'll be for the next few years thats pretty damn valuable.

But if it takes him to get Haren, I don't think twice. If it takes him and a big package to get Oswalt, I might actually think twice just because of Oswalts age and when I truly think the Sox will be ready to contend for a series.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 27, 2009 -> 03:58 PM)
You have to remember that it just isn't the Sox's mo. However, if the Dbacks send a few million, you could make a case that it wouldn't be any more of a financial committment than what the Sox would have had to do with Peavy so maybe it makes sense.

Also, bringing in Byrnes would practically ensure BA being part of the deal.

Poreda, Allen, Richard, and Anderson for Haren, Byrnes, and 4-5 million dollars. I think you would have to do that deal. And it is something that could be intriguing to the DBacks. They clear a lot of payroll, bring in 2 quality lefty starters, get someone who could be their 1B of the future, and at least a 4th OF similar to Byrnes but a whole lot cheaper.

But again, it just goes back to what the DBacks are planning on doing. I doubt trading Haren would cripple their franchise like Dick is making it sound like, but if they feel they can compete soon, they probably wouldn't want to trade Haren. Or if they want to revamp their team and go into a rebuilding or even re-tooling process, they'd definitely be interested in freeing up a LOT of salary room and gaining some quality prospects in return.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 27, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)

Poreda, Allen, Richard, and Anderson for Haren, Byrnes, and 4-5 million dollars. I think you would have to do that deal. And it is something that could be intriguing to the DBacks. They clear a lot of payroll, bring in 2 quality lefty starters, get someone who could be their 1B of the future, and at least a 4th OF similar to Byrnes but a whole lot cheaper.

But again, it just goes back to what the DBacks are planning on doing. I doubt trading Haren would cripple their franchise like Dick is making it sound like, but if they feel they can compete soon, they probably wouldn't want to trade Haren. Or if they want to revamp their team and go into a rebuilding or even re-tooling process, they'd definitely be interested in freeing up a LOT of salary room and gaining some quality prospects in return.

It is a pretty similar package to what the Dbacks gave up, especially when you factor in the money the Sox are taking. I'd be exstatic with the deal, in reality it is probably an xbox deal, but I wouldn't have a problem at all. But I f***ing love Haren. I also really really like Brandon Allen.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 27, 2009 -> 04:04 PM)

If Arizona is including that much, we'd have to add at least 1 more prospect to that deal. From a prorated sense, that's about 3/4 of his salary this season.

The Diamondbacks aren't going to pay a quarter of Eric's Byrnes' remaining salary for that package.

The point was also made earlier that putting Dan Haren on the market would garner much more realistic interest in teams compared to Peavy, given the increased competition for Haren and the fact that they don't HAVE to trade him you're likely going to have to blow them away to get them interested in your offer.