The starting pitcher the White Sox WILL acquire

Steve9347

I saw Cabrera against the Giants a couple of weeks back. He walked about 6 or 7 hitters in less than 5 innings, including 2 with the bases loaded and 2 out.

We can do better. A lot better.

And besides our SP has actually been pretty decent lately ever since Contreras left the rotation.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 28, 2009 -> 07:32 AM)
So its not possible to have a businessman deliberately mislead a paper, huh?

What does saying he didn't know KW was after Peavy after the fact accomplish? Sure they don't always tell the truth, funny when I have said that about their payroll these past 5 months, what JR and KW say is gospel. If they say there is nothing to spend, there is nothing to spend. Now its "you really believe everything they tell the media? You are naive." I like JR. I believe this story. There is nothing to gain by deceiving here.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ May 28, 2009 -> 08:53 AM)
I can't believe some people here were happy we didn't get Peavy.

He's afraid to pitch in the AL, he's making a ton of money, and most of all, he doesn't want to be here. I'm not saying he wouldn't improve the team, but I can understand why people didn't want him. I, personally, don't like the idea of one player taking up nearly 1/5 of the team's payroll - unless that player's name happens to be Albert.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ May 28, 2009 -> 09:26 AM)
He's afraid to pitch in the AL, he's making a ton of money, and most of all, he doesn't want to be here. I'm not saying he wouldn't improve the team, but I can understand why people didn't want him. I, personally, don't like the idea of one player taking up nearly 1/5 of the team's payroll - unless that player's name happens to be Albert.

Peavy's salary is pretty much the going rate for a top of the rotation starter, give or take a couple of million. If you don't want to pay that much money, then you're not going to trade for a #1 starter. Now, if you personally would not rather allocate the money into one pitcher, I can understand that. However, there were some here who want and think we can trade for another comparable pitcher with a comparable contract. I don't think that's possible.

Edited by Frankensteiner

Dick...

First of all, no business owner WANTS to operate in the red.

Second, JR and the board lets his people do their work without interfering. JR used to do more, but I think he trusts Kenny. AND if they have to interfere, then there is a problem.

Third (since Steff isn't here), JR is the face of the board. He doesn't make the absolute decision. The board does.

Finally, what's wrong with leaving a little money left over and hiding it from the public? If agents and players hear..."Hey! The White Sox have cash to burn!" Then the Sox have little to no negotiating power. And really, the White Sox organization doesn't have to answer to you. Or me. Or anyone on this board. Or in Chicago. If you are sick of it, don't go to games.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ May 28, 2009 -> 02:53 PM)
I think the best bet is for Peavy to change his mind closer to the deadline, because trading for any of the other pitchers mentioned on this forum is completely unrealistic.

I can't believe some people here were happy we didn't get Peavy.

I'm thrilled we didn't get him. No doubt in my mind that in 3 years, we'll be better off having Poreda, Richard, and Hudson in the organization than having Peavy making near 20 million. Give me those 3 guys, and spend the 20 million on other holes.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 28, 2009 -> 08:39 AM)
I'm thrilled we didn't get him. No doubt in my mind that in 3 years, we'll be better off having Poreda, Richard, and Hudson in the organization than having Peavy making near 20 million. Give me those 3 guys, and spend the 20 million on other holes.

The fun thing is...we could keep Poreda, Richard, and Hudson, and spend $20 million to grab another pitcher this offseason or next offseason if we really wanted to go that route. And I doubt we'd have to be locked in for as long as we would be with Peavy.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 28, 2009 -> 10:33 AM)
Dick...

First of all, no business owner WANTS to operate in the red.

Second, JR and the board lets his people do their work without interfering. JR used to do more, but I think he trusts Kenny. AND if they have to interfere, then there is a problem.

Third (since Steff isn't here), JR is the face of the board. He doesn't make the absolute decision. The board does.

Finally, what's wrong with leaving a little money left over and hiding it from the public? If agents and players hear..."Hey! The White Sox have cash to burn!" Then the Sox have little to no negotiating power. And really, the White Sox organization doesn't have to answer to you. Or me. Or anyone on this board. Or in Chicago. If you are sick of it, don't go to games.

If you read the article, JR gave KW his approval so apparently he still does have to approve. There's nothing wrong with making a profit. Just don't say you have $.50 when everything costs $1, don't say you may have to switch all the late season games to day games because you can't afford the electric bill. The White Sox cry poor more than any other professional sports team in Chicago, by far. Its very old, and I'm not the only one that finds it old.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 28, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)
If you read the article, JR gave KW his approval so apparently he still does have to approve. There's nothing wrong with making a profit. Just don't say you have $.50 when everything costs $1, don't say you may have to switch all the late season games to day games because you can't afford the electric bill. The White Sox cry poor more than any other professional sports team in Chicago, by far. Its very old, and I'm not the only one that finds it old.

This is the song that never ends.

It goes on and on my friends.

Someone started singing it not knowing what it was,

and they'll continue singing it forever just because,

This the song that never ends,

it just goes on and on my friends,

Just when you think you have reached the end,

the songs begins again.

This is the song that never ends.

It goes on and on my friends.

Someone started singing it not knowing what it was,

and they'll continue singing it forever just because,

This the song that never ends,

it just goes on and on my friends,

Just when you think you have reached the end,

the songs begins again.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 28, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
All I have ever said is despite their previous comments, they have money to spend, which of course I was ripped for by a certain contingent on this board. Agreeing to pick up Peavy more than proved my point, and if you think he was the "special" player that has been mentioned in the past that JR would break the budget for, ask yourself if acquiring Jake Peavy guaranteed the White Sox would win the WS. Ask yourself if it even guaranteed them being .500.

Is there ever a guaruntee in baseball?

QUOTE (fathom @ May 28, 2009 -> 10:39 AM)

I am shocked anyone would say this. In terms of talent, this deal was a no-brainer. No other team in the league will trade an ace pitcher for such a below market price. We have no guarantee any of those guys can even stick in a major league rotation, and you wouldn't trade them for a 27 year old Cy Young pitcher? Really?

As far as the $20 mil salary, that's not entirely accurate as he would only be making that much for one year of his contract. In terms of holes, we have one starting pitcher with an ERA under 4 right now. I'd say that's our most significant hole.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2009 -> 10:47 AM)
The fun thing is...we could keep Poreda, Richard, and Hudson, and spend $20 million to grab another pitcher this offseason or next offseason if we really wanted to go that route. And I doubt we'd have to be locked in for as long as we would be with Peavy.

I've read this a couple of times, but I need some actual names who we can sign and/or acquire with that money. Because I don't see anyone as good as Peavy becoming available.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ May 28, 2009 -> 11:57 AM)
I've read this a couple of times, but I need some actual names who we can sign and/or acquire with that money. Because I don't see anyone as good as Peavy becoming available.

Josh Beckett - $12MM club option with a $2MM buyout

Erik Bedard

Justin Duchscherer

Rich Harden

Tim Hudson - $12MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout

John Lackey

Cliff Lee - $8MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Brett Myers

Brandon Webb - $8.5MM club option with a $500K+ buyout

Todd Wellemeyer

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ May 28, 2009 -> 11:57 AM)

Here's a list:

Starting pitchers

Erik Bedard

Justin Duchscherer

Rich Harden

John Lackey

Brett Myers

Todd Wellemeyer

I'm with you, nothing all that attractive except for Lackey. You have to figure he will command at least as much cash as AJ Burnett which probably rules out the White Sox. You have to figure Beckett won't be availalble, Hudson probably but he's been hurt, Lee's option will be picked up either by the Indians or the team they trade him to, and Webb's option will be picked up if he's healthy. The others all have issues.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 28, 2009 -> 12:04 PM)

Erik Bedard

Justin Duchscherer

Rich Harden

John Lackey

Brett Myers

Todd Wellemeyer

The guys with options will have them picked up. I don't see how the Angels don't re-sign Lackey, or if they actually don't, how he doesn't end up with one of the east coast teams. We always lose bidding wars. Bedard is OK, but nowhere near as good as Peavy. Underwhelming list of players.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 28, 2009 -> 12:04 PM)

Erik Bedard

Justin Duchscherer

Rich Harden

John Lackey

Brett Myers

Todd Wellemeyer

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 28, 2009 -> 12:05 PM)
Here's a list:

Starting pitchers

Erik Bedard

Justin Duchscherer

Rich Harden

John Lackey

Brett Myers

Todd Wellemeyer

LOL, apparently Steve and DA like the same websites or sources to copy/paste from. Or this was the most bizarre coincidence ever.