Beckham promoted to Charlotte...

JPN366

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2009 -> 04:43 PM)
If Fields continues to improve as he has the last few games, I'm guessing that means either Fields will be traded, or the Sox have a tough call to make. I personally would rather, if Fields does indeed continue to improve, that they play Beckham at Short where he belongs (remember, his weakness in the scouting reports was his arm and defense generally), and move Alexei to CF. I realize I'm in the minority on this, but, I think it would have been better to either send Fields down a few weeks ago, or to stick it out now that he's showing signs of life. Right now is the exact wrong time for this.

Flame away.

With the way BA is playing right now, I think it would be a tragedy to remove him from starting CF, especially seeing how that would keep Fields on the field

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2009 -> 02:49 PM)
Oh yeah, hadn't thought of that - Fields to LF if it looks like he's putting it together. Not a bad idea.

So here is a question... would you rather have Fields or Kroeger in LF to hold CQ's spot?

Also, I'm guessing this is the first domino in front of some other minor league moves.

Fields. As much as I hate him, he does have major league tools.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2009 -> 04:49 PM)
Oh yeah, hadn't thought of that - Fields to LF if it looks like he's putting it together. Not a bad idea.

So here is a question... would you rather have Fields or Kroeger in LF to hold CQ's spot?

Also, I'm guessing this is the first domino in front of some other minor league moves.

I dont think either of those players figure in with Pods on the team and Wise waiting in the wings. If CQ is out, the job is Pods IMO

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 27, 2009 -> 04:49 PM)
With the way BA is playing right now, I think it would be a tragedy to remove him from starting CF, especially seeing how that would keep Fields on the field

That's also a good point.

I kind of like Jas's idea - Fields in LF while TCQ heals, Beckham at 3B, Anderson and Ramirez stay in CF and Short. Keep Wise at bay. If Fields is traded before Quentin is healthy, Kroeger for LF.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 27, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
I dont think either of those players figure in with Pods on the team and Wise waiting in the wings. If CQ is out, the job is Pods IMO

Pods will take CF and Anderson will return to the Bench.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 27, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)

Probably, but that's not what I'd do. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think Pods is going to keep up his current pace, which isn't spectacular anyway.

Either way, I think you and Jas are right about Anderson and Ramirez, they should stick where they are.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)

I kind of like Jas's idea - Fields in LF while TCQ heals, Beckham at 3B, Anderson and Ramirez stay in CF and Short. Keep Wise at bay. If Fields is traded before Quentin is healthy, Kroeger for LF.

That is all assuming that Fields hits. That said, its more likely that we'd either see BA put on the bench with Pods playing CF and Fields in LF or BA in CF with Pods in LF. Pods pretty much needs to be in the lineup every day with the way he's been producing at the top of the order (he really has been good there). I'm not saying what Pods is doing will last, but they need him.

So I guess the question is, Fields in LF or BA in CF because only one of those can happen.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)

Seriously dude, stop with the Kroeger. He's hitting .258 with a .764 OPS.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2009 -> 02:53 PM)
Probably, but that's not what I'd do. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think Pods is going to keep up his current pace, which isn't spectacular anyway.

Either way, I think you and Jas are right about Anderson and Ramirez, they should stick where they are.

I also don't like to say it, but now that ramirez is hitting his defense is moving to the next level. He just looks quick and rangy out at short and wow has he been showing off quite the cannon of an arm.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2009 -> 04:49 PM)

Podsednik in LF and leading off with BA in CF while Quentin is on the DL.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ May 27, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
which makes him a great piece for any trade package we may offer for that missing top of the rotation right hander :headbang

If I were making a deal with the Sox, I'd try to get Fields cause his value is low and he has upside and maybe a change of scenery works out. Its why I hope the Sox can find a way to move Fields for a similar player or of course I'd love it if Fields started to hit.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2009 -> 04:43 PM)
If Fields continues to improve as he has the last few games, I'm guessing that means either Fields will be traded, or the Sox have a tough call to make. I personally would rather, if Fields does indeed continue to improve, that they play Beckham at Short where he belongs (remember, his weakness in the scouting reports was his arm and defense generally), and move Alexei to CF. I realize I'm in the minority on this, but, I think it would have been better to either send Fields down a few weeks ago, or to stick it out now that he's showing signs of life. Right now is the exact wrong time for this.

Flame away.

.375/.375/.438/.813 over his last 16 PA and he's only struck out in a quarter of them!

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2009 -> 04:52 PM)

That will never happen. Pods will play no matter what.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2009 -> 04:54 PM)
Seriously dude, stop with the Kroeger. He's hitting .258 with a .764 OPS.

.868 in May as of yesterday (didn't check today). NO I WILL NOT STOP IT!!! HE'S MY NEW ROSS GLOAD!!!

Seriously though, he's only even in the discussion if Fields departs entirely and Quentin isn't back yet.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 27, 2009 -> 04:54 PM)
I also don't like to say it, but now that ramirez is hitting his defense is moving to the next level. He just looks quick and rangy out at short and wow has he been showing off quite the cannon of an arm.

I agree compeltely. I think we were all skeptical of the claims of Alexei being a GG caliber SS, and he may not be quite there yet, but he has looked awfully good and keeps getting better.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 27, 2009 -> 04:55 PM)
If BA is benched so Fields can attempt to play left, I will be a very sad panda

I'd agree, I guess I am just more in favor of Pods being the 4th OF instead of Anderson. That would allow both Fields and Anderson to play.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)
Seriously though, he's only even in the discussion if Fields departs entirely and Quentin isn't back yet.

The only way Josh Kroeger is going to see playing time with the big league squad this year is if it comes down somehow to him versus Anderson for playing time. Beckham, Alexei, Pods, Anderson, Wise, Nix, Getz, Quentin, Fields, are all in front of him for 4-5 spots. You need to wipe out at least 3 more guys, maybe more.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2009 -> 04:59 PM)
The only way Josh Kroeger is going to see playing time with the big league squad this year is if it comes down somehow to him versus Anderson for playing time. Beckham, Alexei, Pods, Anderson, Wise, Nix, Getz, Quentin, Fields, are all in front of him for 4-5 spots. You need to wipe out at least 3 more guys, maybe more.

And to be clear, the only players on that list I'd consider "wiping out" for Kroeger under any circumstances would be Wise and Pods. Others only if they are injured and they can't play.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)
I'd agree, I guess I am just more in favor of Pods being the 4th OF instead of Anderson. That would allow both Fields and Anderson to play.

i think i have had my fill of Fields playing, and the Sox are just about at that point as well. Im not going to say bust, Im going to say it didnt work out here/needs a change of scenery.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 27, 2009 -> 05:02 PM)
i think i have had my fill of Fields playing, and the Sox are just about at that point as well. Im not going to say bust, Im going to say it didnt work out here/needs a change of scenery.

Change of scenery would probably work well. I was never a big Fields fan, but I do think that if he can play full time, he'll be a better hitter than Anderson. Again, minority opinion I am sure, but that's what I see.

The wildcard problem with him though, he could get away with slumping and figuring things out if he played better defense. He's still well below average out there, which is a little under where I thought he'd be by now.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 27, 2009 -> 03:02 PM)

COS for Fields already? Seriously?

I can understand sending him to AAA and bringing up Beckham because GB's simply doing so well and Fields isn't, but change of scenery level for him already?

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 27, 2009 -> 05:02 PM)

Yeah, that's a bust.

best case scenario, Fields s***s the bed with Beckham right behind him (man that does not sound right)

Anyways... Gotta hope this doesn't motivate him and Gordo is stuck in Charlotte...