Beckham Promoted to AAA

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 27, 2009 -> 05:32 PM)
well, the first part of his quote was "I also predict Fields/Poreda will be used as a centerpiece to a deal to land a top of the rotation pitcher", so I guess it has everything to with with anything.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2009 -> 05:32 PM)
It has to do with his first sentence, which has to do with Beckham's potential promotion to Chicago. seemed pretty clear to me.

I guess you guys can't read/see bold'ed fonts.

"Guys like Oswalt, Haren and Cain have been mentioned on this board."

Since when did someone mentioning some Xbox trades as real life mean anything?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 28, 2009 -> 01:54 AM)
Accept he's not ready. That's pretty much the point. And I'm not overreacting to anything. Have you not been keeping up? http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,0,554515.story

And just coincidentally he gets promoted to play, um, 3rd base? It's quite obvious what's going on here.

1, except not accept.

2, how do you know he's not ready?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 28, 2009 -> 02:02 AM)
1, except not accept.

f*** me! I hate when I do that.

2, how do you know he's not ready?

Well he has 3 more errors than home runs in his very brief minor league career. That's a start. He's now in the beginning stages of learning a new position (and at least judging by the error count, he wasn't fielding his natural position all that well). That's something that I would imagine could take a little time. And recent history says he's not ready.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 28, 2009 -> 02:53 AM)

Well he has 3 more errors than home runs in his very brief minor league career. That's a start. He's now in the beginning stages of learning a new position (and at least judging by the error count, he wasn't fielding his natural position all that well). That's something that I would imagine could take a little time. And recent history says he's not ready.

I agree with you for the most part about him not being ready. On the other hand, he seems to have the makeup that he could come up here and struggle a bit and not let it get to him. I have no concerns about us "ruining him." And to be completely honest, could he really be much worse than Josh at this point?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 28, 2009 -> 02:53 AM)

I agree with you on the defensive perspective, however, Birmingham is known to be a notoriously hard park to hit HR in, ask Viciedo and Brandon Allen. The fact that about half of his base hits were for extra bases is phenomenal.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 28, 2009 -> 03:24 AM)
I agree with you for the most part about him not being ready. On the other hand, he seems to have the makeup that he could come up here and struggle a bit and not let it get to him. I have no concerns about us "ruining him." And to be completely honest, could he really be much worse than Josh at this point?

Probably not. But that's what's got me pissed off about this. If you bring Beckham up because you truly think he's ready, fine. I don't believe you do this just because another guy is struggling. Gordon appears to be the best prospect we've had in quite a while. When he comes up, I want it to be with the obvious expectation that he's ready to contribute right away. And being better than Josh Fields does not qualify as contributing right away.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 28, 2009 -> 03:31 AM)
I agree with you on the defensive perspective, however, Birmingham is known to be a notoriously hard park to hit HR in, ask Viciedo and Brandon Allen. The fact that about half of his base hits were for extra bases is phenomenal.

When I say I don't believe Beckham's ready I'm certainly not implying that he's nowhere near ready. He's been pretty impressive for the most part. I just don't want to see him rushed. That's all.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ May 28, 2009 -> 01:57 AM)
I guess you guys can't read/see bold'ed fonts.

"Guys like Oswalt, Haren and Cain have been mentioned on this board."

Since when did someone mentioning some Xbox trades as real life mean anything?

We can read just fine. The non bolded font showed a catty childish response that was completely out of place.

Look, you want to be confrontational about nothing, then go away. There are speculative threads about 2 of those 3 players, and he used them as possibilities in a 2 sentence thread. If that gets to you so much then dont respond, there is no reason to respond like that.

Edited by kyyle23

Beckham has a whopping 90% contact rate in the minors. Someone earlier asked how good is he, and I would say that I'll be surprised if by the time his career is done, he's not one of the best 10-15 players in Sox history (sadly, that's not saying much). It's just too bad it looks like it's going to be at 3rd base and not at SS or 2B.

By the way, for anyone who questions Terry Boers' baseball knowledge or contacts (and there were a few in the Marquez thread), he said back in March Beckham would make it to the majors as a third baseman this season based on what he heard from his guys.

IMO, the fact that the Sox had this plan in March speaks to the Sox thoughts on Fields.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 28, 2009 -> 09:45 AM)
By the way, for anyone who questions Terry Boers' baseball knowledge or contacts (and there were a few in the Marquez thread), he said back in March Beckham would make it to the majors as a third baseman this season based on what he heard from his guys.

IMO, the fact that the Sox had this plan in March speaks to the Sox thoughts on Fields.

If the Sox had this in their plans in March, why did it take them until the end of May to do something about it? I don't buy it for a second. If they really thought Beckham would help them at third, they would have put him at 3B in AA, and Viciedo at AAA, or vice versa.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2009 -> 10:14 AM)
If the Sox had this in their plans in March, why did it take them until the end of May to do something about it? I don't buy it for a second. If they really thought Beckham would help them at third, they would have put him at 3B in AA, and Viciedo at AAA, or vice versa.

I think they probably would have done it sooner, but Beckham got sidelined for about week with that injury, which threw off their timetable.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 28, 2009 -> 01:54 AM)
Accept he's not ready. That's pretty much the point. And I'm not overreacting to anything. Have you not been keeping up? http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,0,554515.story

And just coincidentally he gets promoted to play, um, 3rd base? It's quite obvious what's going on here.

We won't see if he's ready until we see him up here. We've only seen him face some-what major league pitching at ST, and he almost made the team.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 28, 2009 -> 08:48 AM)
I wonder where this leaves Brandon Allen. Given that he's probably the next in line for a promotion.

I'd guess they feel like they have a little more time with Allen. If they think they need Beckham at 3b this year they could have him there soon, Allen is still blocked until at least next April barring injury.

I think the argument about Bruce and Longoria being in the minors for a long time before getting called up also has to do with the Rays and Reds being pretty cheap and not wanting to start the arb clocks on these guys. The Rays have been notorious for keeping guys down that were ready, but didn't call up...

Not saying that the extra seasoning didn't help though...

Edited by Cali

QUOTE (G&T @ May 28, 2009 -> 02:45 PM)

Terry Boers has someone very high up in the Sox organization giving him info. Two years ago, Boers was telling everyone that Thome's oblique injury was serious even though the word in the media was that it was nothing. The first swing Thome took that night, he was out for nearly a month.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 28, 2009 -> 11:39 AM)
1 for 3 with a double in his debut thus far.

I don't expect him to have too tough of a time in AAA. For all those concerned about his lack of minor league AB, while IMO the ideal thing would have been him spending the entire season in AA and maybe getting a September call up, other high picks out of college, Ventura and Thomas didn't play much minor league baseball before they got the call. I don't think many would say they needed another year or 2 of minor league play. They are just potentially moving up Beckham's clock 2 or 3 months in reality. If Fields can't get the job done, he's obviously the replacement.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 28, 2009 -> 04:44 PM)
They should have just brought him all the way up.

I think they are trying to give Fields every opportunity to make it as our 3Bman and not rush Beckham. The only bad thing about it is I am not sure that Fields is going to make it and how long e can go with the poor hitting and subpar D.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
I'd guess they feel like they have a little more time with Allen. If they think they need Beckham at 3b this year they could have him there soon, Allen is still blocked until at least next April barring injury.

We have Konerko at 1B. No need to rush someone or make an unneeded change at the minor league level. Brandon Allen might be 2 years away?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 28, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)
We have Konerko at 1B. No need to rush someone or make an unneeded change at the minor league level. Brandon Allen might be 2 years away?

I don't think AAA is much of a promotion at this time. Like it was discussed earlier, probably the big reason Beckham is in Charlotte is to play 3B while allowing Viciedo to play 3b in Birmingham. The only reason to bring some of these guys to Charlotte is to do something for Charlotte's ownership who may feel a little screwed over with the overall lack of talent they have.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 28, 2009 -> 10:09 AM)
I think they are trying to give Fields every opportunity to make it as our 3Bman and not rush Beckham. The only bad thing about it is I am not sure that Fields is going to make it and how long e can go with the poor hitting and subpar D.

If that was the case, Fields wouldn't have been on the bench last night.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 28, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)

That depends on if Dye is back. Allen could be 1B/DH along with Konerko next year. If they keep Dye to be the DH...then Allen might be 2 years away.