Beckham Promoted to AAA

Chisoxfn

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 28, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
People are sleeping on Thome. I would not be surprised to see Dye gone next year, and Thome being brought back at around 5 million for a year.

All things considered Thome will probably be cheaper, he's a left handed bat that we don't otherwise have...and if he stays healthy the next 2 seasons he's got a legit shot at 600 by the end of 2010.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2009 -> 05:36 PM)
All things considered Thome will probably be cheaper, he's a left handed bat that we don't otherwise have...and if he stays healthy the next 2 seasons he's got a legit shot at 600 by the end of 2010.

Unless the basic agreement has been changed you can't resign your own player for less than 80% of his previous year. He gone.

Also, if he stays healthy the next 2 seasons he'll be 42 years old. Guillen is handling him wonderfully, spacing his rest, he's had one sore heel episode but he's played 37 of the teams 47 games. By then he'll be lucky to go 90 games a season at DH. Plus he'll need to hit a long double just to make it to first base.

Great player, great guy, but I think the vessel is leaving the dock.

QUOTE (TLAK @ May 28, 2009 -> 08:08 PM)
Unless the basic agreement has been changed you can't resign your own player for less than 80% of his previous year. He gone.

Also, if he stays healthy the next 2 seasons he'll be 42 years old. Guillen is handling him wonderfully, spacing his rest, he's had one sore heel episode but he's played 37 of the teams 47 games. By then he'll be lucky to go 90 games a season at DH. Plus he'll need to hit a long double just to make it to first base.

I thought the 80% rule was only for arbitration. Isn't there a way the Sox could re-sign him without the arbitration rules? (this should be obvious to me, but I can't think right now)

QUOTE (Disco72 @ May 28, 2009 -> 07:18 PM)
I thought the 80% rule was only for arbitration. Isn't there a way the Sox could re-sign him without the arbitration rules? (this should be obvious to me, but I can't think right now)

The could resign him before arbitration. Or the Sox could offer him arbit, and if he declines, they can still negotiate with them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2009 -> 05:24 PM)
The could resign him before arbitration. Or the Sox could offer him arbit, and if he declines, they can still negotiate with them.

The Sox would almost certainly not offer him arbitration, given that he's making $14 million this year. Thome's camp wouldn't agree to let the Sox do that and then decline it; they'd be hurting the market for their player because Thome'd likely be a type A free Agent, and thus it'd cost a draft pick to sign him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2009 -> 07:36 PM)
The Sox would almost certainly not offer him arbitration, given that he's making $14 million this year. Thome's camp wouldn't agree to let the Sox do that and then decline it; they'd be hurting the market for their player because Thome'd likely be a type A free Agent, and thus it'd cost a draft pick to sign him.

I am not saying what would or would not happen. I am just saying how it could be done.

QUOTE (TLAK @ May 28, 2009 -> 07:08 PM)

Wikipedia has him listed at 38, regardless, I think he has one or two seasons in him with decent production, I'd love for him to hit 600.

The only thing I don't want is him blocking the youngsters at Birmingham.

QUOTE (tommy @ May 28, 2009 -> 09:54 PM)
Wikipedia has him listed at 38, regardless, I think he has one or two seasons in him with decent production, I'd love for him to hit 600.

The only thing I don't want is him blocking the youngsters at Birmingham.

Considering three of our best prospects (Allen, Flowers, Viciedo) might eventually best be served to DH i think it could be a problem.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 29, 2009 -> 09:26 AM)
I think that none of them DHs in the first few years of their careers. I am guessing we see Flowers catch. Allen at 1B, and Viciedo in LF.

right so IF we can keep Thome CHEAP, why not, he wont be holding anyone back

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 29, 2009 -> 10:55 AM)
Because Paulie might be the DH.

Good point. How do we see this going in the next 2 seasons or such?

1. Danks CF

2. Beckham 3b

3. Q LF

4. Tank RF

5. Konerko DH

6. Allen 1B

7. Flowers C

8. Alexei SS

9. Getz 2B

?

Edited by RockRaines

Per BA:

Jeremy (Chicago): Are the White Sox rushing Beckham? Sure Josh Fields is playing himself out of the majors, but might the on the horizon promotion be a little premature? Reassure me please.

Ben Badler: He mashed in college, he was a consensus top bat last year in the draft, he mashed in the AFL and he's mashed in Double-A. We're not dealing with enormous sample sizes, but I don't think he's being rushed.

mike (florida): if both stay at 2b longterm... g. beckham or jemile weeks? is the gap huge between their upside in terms of all around player?

Ben Badler: Beckham, and I think there is a significant gap. Weeks hasn't shown the ability to stay healthy, either last year or this year, while Beckham looks like he could play either second base or third base and be one of the best hitters in baseball.

Just because Ben Balder said it, doesn't mean it'll be happen but its still nice as hell to see the Sox have a prospect that gets talked in this type of manner.

Gordon Beckham was always pretty much a finished project. Coming out of college, nearly every offensive part of his game was judged as being sound and major league ready, the only question was as to whether he could hit professional hitting and field his position and a decent level, he's proven that. As long, as this continues i have no problem with rapidly moving him through the system.

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ May 29, 2009 -> 03:12 PM)
Yeah, it's very exciting.. I just hope he knows how much we are counting on him to BE that guy.

Depending on what you mean by "That guy" I'm not sure we are. We're counting on him to be a force...but not an MVP. We're still holding Quentin, Danks, D2: the Mighty Danks, Floyd, Buehrle, Viciedo, Allen, and so on. If he's just a really solid player for 10+ years, I could totally live with that.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 30, 2009 -> 04:45 AM)
FWIW, I've made this comparison/prediction for a while now, but Gordon Beckham is going to be our Derek Jeter.

Offensively? Awesome! Defensively? I hope not. Not that I wouldn’t love to have a player whose dives and gazelle like hops cover hysterically bad range, and get translated into a few gold gloves, but in terms of what Jeter means to that organization. I’d love for Beckham to turn into that kind of figure in Chicago.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 30, 2009 -> 03:45 AM)
FWIW, I've made this comparison/prediction for a while now, but Gordon Beckham is going to be our Derek Jeter.

A solid offensive player who is one of the worst in the majors at his position defensively? Honestly, I would be pretty disappointed if his defense ended up at Jeter's level. Obviously the offense would be great, but if he's that bad defensively I hope we have to common sense to ensure he never plays SS in the majors (which looks likely with Alexei there).

Edited by Felix