Beckham Promoted to AAA

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 30, 2009 -> 03:45 AM)
FWIW, I've made this comparison/prediction for a while now, but Gordon Beckham is going to be our Derek Jeter.

If we get anything remotely close to Jeter out of Gordo, I will be thrilled to death. Yeah, he isn't as good as the NY hype machine makes him out to be, but he is a special hitter, and a gamer.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 30, 2009 -> 01:09 PM)
so now what do they do if Josh gets on a roll? Move Beckham back to SS or 2B?

I realize Beckham is playing 3B in Charlotte but I don't think this move is permanent?

I still see Beckham as our future 2B.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 30, 2009 -> 01:09 PM)
so now what do they do if Josh gets on a roll? Move Beckham back to SS or 2B?

Those are the kind of problems you like to have. If Fields get back to where he was in 07 even, this offense is just nasty deep 1-9 once TCQ gets back. Beckham will find a place on this field, I have no doubt about that.

QUOTE (Felix @ May 30, 2009 -> 07:12 AM)
A solid offensive player who is one of the worst in the majors at his position defensively? Honestly, I would be pretty disappointed if his defense ended up at Jeter's level. Obviously the offense would be great, but if he's that bad defensively I hope we have to common sense to ensure he never plays SS in the majors (which looks likely with Alexei there).

I think its a solid comparison and while people hate on Jeters defense (deservingly so), he wasn't always a terrible defensive SS. As he got older and lost his range it got there. He's just not a super toolsy shortstop.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 30, 2009 -> 11:54 AM)
Those are the kind of problems you like to have. If Fields get back to where he was in 07 even, this offense is just nasty deep 1-9 once TCQ gets back. Beckham will find a place on this field, I have no doubt about that.

If Josh Fields can be a 30+ HR, .250 average, 175 K's guy, 100RBi...and Alexei can keep up what he's currently doing...then your IF is Fields, Alexei, Beckham, 1b. I like Getz, but right now he's struggling worse than Fields...and he has no where near as high of a ceiling. Beckham and Ramirez up the middle will be one of the best offensive 2b/ss pairings in baseball, up there with Utley/Rollins perhaps.

If you're worried about that silly "Who will lead off" question...put Beckham there until D2: the Mighty Danks takes over for Anderson.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 30, 2009 -> 12:37 PM)
If Josh Fields can be a 30+ HR, .250 average, 175 K's guy, 100RBi...and Alexei can keep up what he's currently doing...then your IF is Fields, Alexei, Beckham, 1b. I like Getz, but right now he's struggling worse than Fields...and he has no where near as high of a ceiling. Beckham and Ramirez up the middle will be one of the best offensive 2b/ss pairings in baseball, up there with Utley/Rollins perhaps.

If you're worried about that silly "Who will lead off" question...put Beckham there until D2: the Mighty Danks takes over for Anderson.

Hopefully Anderson keeps hitting and you can slide D2 into RF with Quentin in LF. That would be a pretty damn solid defensive outfield.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 30, 2009 -> 12:40 PM)
Hopefully Anderson keeps hitting and you can slide D2 into RF with Quentin in LF. That would be a pretty damn solid defensive outfield.

That'd be a hell of an OF if you can put Anderson and D2: the Mighty Danks out there at the same time without hurting yourself offensively. Good speed from 2/3 slots, probably solid power all around, hopefully we can get them all hitting right around .300. Man, even without considering Viciedo...that's an explosive 1-9.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 30, 2009 -> 12:42 PM)
That'd be a hell of an OF if you can put Anderson and D2: the Mighty Danks out there at the same time without hurting yourself offensively. Good speed from 2/3 slots, probably solid power all around, hopefully we can get them all hitting right around .300. Man, even without considering Viciedo...that's an explosive 1-9.

And you should be abl to get away with it power wise since Quentin has tons of power, BA (if he's hitting for an averge, will also hit for power, at least 20hr type of power), Viciedo/Allen/Konerko or whomever else is in the other power spots of the lineup have power and than Flowers as well with power. And again, defensively, wow.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 30, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
And you should be abl to get away with it power wise since Quentin has tons of power, BA (if he's hitting for an averge, will also hit for power, at least 20hr type of power), Viciedo/Allen/Konerko or whomever else is in the other power spots of the lineup have power and than Flowers as well with power. And again, defensively, wow.

Then we package Shelby, Rutherford, Getz, and whoever else we don't have room for and go out and trade for Lincecum, and we've got a 10 year dynasty.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 30, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)
Then we package Shelby, Rutherford, Getz, and whoever else we don't have room for and go out and trade for Lincecum, and we've got a 10 year dynasty.

Beautiful idea. Its fun when you have talented guys in the system. THey may all bust but its just fun to see fresh blood developing and at least get ideas of grandeur in your head.