Latest Starter Linked to Sox in a Roundabout Way: Roy Oswalt

fathom

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 29, 2009 -> 03:25 AM)
Someone reads SoxTalk.

Yeah, I guess KW does, as he sent our special assistant to Houston. It had to be to see him, as they have virtually no one else that would be a fit for this team.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 28, 2009 -> 11:26 PM)
I'd be hesitant to take Oswalt on at this point. I'm just afraid KW is going to blow some of this flexability on Juan Pierre when Manny comes back... I'm not kidding

Roy Oswalt's stuff is still there. If you put a decent offense around him and a GM and Owner who are not absolute morons, i think he's got a chance of smoothing things out.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 28, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
Roy Oswalt's stuff is still there. If you put a decent offense around him and a GM and Owner who are not absolute morons, i think he's got a chance of smoothing things out.

yeah, I'm hesitant, not completely against it... does he have a NTC or anything? Because I would be calmer with the 2 years left and not having to add that 3rd.

Oswalts' contract.

Roy Oswalt rhp

5 years/$73M (2007-11), plus 2012 club option

signed extension with Houston 8/06

07:$13M, 08:$13M, 09:$14M, 10:$15M, 11:$16M, 12:$16M club option ($2M buyout)

Oswalt may opt out of 2012 option & take a reduced buyout

full no-trade clause

2 years/$16.9M (2005-06)

signed extension with Houston 2/05 (avoided arbitration, $7.8M-$6M)

05:$5.9M, 06:$11M

award bonus based on finish in Cy Young vote ($0.5M for 1st, $0.35M for 2nd, $0.25M for 3rd)

contract also re-worked 10/05 to allow Houston owner Drayton McLane to give Oswalt a bulldozer for winning Game 6 of '05 NLCS

1 year/$3.25M (2004), avoided arbitration 1/04

1 year/$0.5M (2003)

1 year/$0.3M (2002)

drafted 1996 (23-684)

agent: Robert Garber

ML service: 7.149

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/houston-astros.html

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 28, 2009 -> 10:33 PM)
Oswalts' contract.

Roy Oswalt rhp

signed extension with Houston 8/06

07:$13M, 08:$13M, 09:$14M, 10:$15M, 11:$16M, 12:$16M club option ($2M buyout)

Oswalt may opt out of 2012 option & take a reduced buyout

full no-trade clause

2 years/$16.9M (2005-06)

signed extension with Houston 2/05 (avoided arbitration, $7.8M-$6M)

05:$5.9M, 06:$11M

award bonus based on finish in Cy Young vote ($0.5M for 1st, $0.35M for 2nd, $0.25M for 3rd)

contract also re-worked 10/05 to allow Houston owner Drayton McLane to give Oswalt a bulldozer for winning Game 6 of '05 NLCS

1 year/$3.25M (2004), avoided arbitration 1/04

1 year/$0.5M (2003)

1 year/$0.3M (2002)

drafted 1996 (23-684)

agent: Robert Garber

ML service: 7.149

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/houston-astros.html

Right there tells he would want at least one of those club options picked up

In case we want to play telephone again. Roy Oswalt has played with and can call the following White Sox.

Dotel

Linebrink

Geoff Blum

Darin Erstad

Joe McEwing (White Sox minor league coach)

Watch How Far I Can Stretch!

Keith Ginter

Daryle Ward

Why wouldn't he want to play for the team that crushed his hopes and dreams back in 2005?

Oswalt still has good stuff. If you could get him for a package built around Poreda, one of Hudson/Carter, Josh Fields, and anyone not named Danks/Beckham/Viciedo. The question is, would that be enough? I don't know. And yes that means I'd be willing to part with Tyler Flowers in that package.

I'd wait until the break and if the Jays are out, I'd go hard after Halladay first. If we can't get Halladay, I move on to Brandon Webb, even if he's not 100% this year. I'd try to get him this season, but if not, then I'd consider Oswalt.

If Oswalt is indeed made available this July, for me it would be a tough decision between making a play for Oswalt now and waiting for the offseason to go after Webb. I really think we've got a shot at Webb and he's the most preferable of all the guys realistically on the market, sans maybe Doc if he really does end up for sale. The Sox are not going to be able to take on 2 big pitcher contracts so I'd hate to throw everything at Oswalt and then see Webb out there for the taking.

In the mean time, the Sox should really be looking for another young starter who hasn't yet hit it in the bigs. It seems like Boston may be shopping Bowden a bit, and if that's true I'd go after him with 'spects if there was a fit. I also like Charlie Morton of the Braves although obviously not as much as Bowden. Is Ian Kennedy permanently out of the picture for the Yankees? I'd try to buy low on a 3/4 young starter and then stick him in the back of the rotation, using Poreda and whatever else to go after a big fish.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 28, 2009 -> 10:52 PM)
Oswalt still has good stuff. If you could get him for a package built around Poreda, one of Hudson/Carter, Josh Fields, and anyone not named Danks/Beckham/Viciedo. The question is, would that be enough? I don't know. And yes that means I'd be willing to part with Tyler Flowers in that package.

They just took Jason Castro last year in the first round, so if Flowers was included I'd like to expand the deal to get Castro back. He'd probably be a fit since it was rumored nearing draft day last year that the Sox had scouted him pretty heavily.

But anyway, I don't think they'd be after Flowers as they obviously love Castro considering who they passed on to take him. My only criteria in an Oswalt deal is no Beckham, no Allen, and preferably no Danks since I think he's a key in extending Jon.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 28, 2009 -> 11:08 PM)
Bill Scherrer scouting Houston I'm sure is true. I'd be shocked if the Sox don't have scouts following most floundering teams right now. However, Gonzo is just putting two and two together with the Oswalt stuff.

I watch a lot of baseball and follow it closely, but Houston hasn't been on my radar this year, who else would they have that the Sox might be interested in? Any back of the rotation/innings eater starter in case Count and Colon can't answer the bell? what's their 3rd base situation in case they don't want to rush Slayer?

Could be Oswalt, would fit KWs style, but wondering what else is there.

I agree with you though, KW with a good farm system and money coming off the books will mean a ton of rumors

The problem with KW striking soon is, as long as they believe Oswalt is healthy, why rush to trade him now? Can you imagine the haul they could get from him at the deadline?

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 28, 2009 -> 11:12 PM)
I watch a lot of baseball and follow it closely, but Houston hasn't been on my radar this year, who else would they have that the Sox might be interested in? Any back of the rotation/innings eater starter in case Count and Colon can't answer the bell? what's their 3rd base situation in case they don't want to rush Slayer?

I agree with you though, KW with a good farm system and money coming off the books will mean a ton of rumors

The problem with KW striking soon is, as long as they believe Oswalt is healthy, why rush to trade him now? Can you imagine the haul they could get from him at the deadline?

MICHAEL BOURN!

It's perfect. He's super fast and can't hit.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 28, 2009 -> 09:11 PM)
They just took Jason Castro last year in the first round, so if Flowers was included I'd like to expand the deal to get Castro back. He'd probably be a fit since it was rumored nearing draft day last year that the Sox had scouted him pretty heavily.

But anyway, I don't think they'd be after Flowers as they obviously love Castro considering who they passed on to take him. My only criteria in an Oswalt deal is no Beckham, no Allen, and preferably no Danks since I think he's a key in extending Jon.

I only mentioned FLowers name because he's the next in the group of prospects and I wanted to point out that he would fully be available. I'd also trade Brandon Allen if thats what it took. I like Allen more than most, but he's expendable as I just dont' put a premium value on 1st base prospets (although Viciedo might very well be that). That said, I'm fine if we don't make a deal either, but I do want the Sox to add an impact arm. There's guys I'd prefer over Oswalt, especially since Oswalt won't be in his prime as long as some of the other guys.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 28, 2009 -> 09:12 PM)

The haul might not be that big. My guess is that there are very few teams out there willing to take on long-term contracts at the deadline while also giving up a ton of prospects. At least I'm hoping thats the case cause if it is and the Sox really are willing to take on one big contract, than we as fans might be in luck.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 28, 2009 -> 09:42 PM)
If the Sox are willing to add a big, long term deal RIGHT NOW, I think it's a solid plan. As we have seen under this regime, the Sox going out into FA and landing a big name doesn't happen. With the alarmingly low success rate big FA deals seem to have, it doesn't seem like a terrible strategy.

If the Sox are comfortable with a pitcher, Oswalt for example, and have the money to take on the contract, having him the big four locked up into 2012 will be a nice foundation for this organization to have for the foreseeable future.

Plus look at it this way, by trading for the guy you don't have to let other teams drive up the financial market price. In addition, you shouldn't have a ton of competitors given the economy and most importantly whether you trade or not, you are giving up a form of draft pick compensation by signing any stud pitcher and are probably going to have to go more years than trading a guy already under an existing contract.

It makes sense and I'm excited to see what the club does.