Latest Starter Linked to Sox in a Roundabout Way: Roy Oswalt

fathom

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There could be a lot of very, very good young (or younger) players hitting the market between now and mid-season 2010 so it wouldn't hurt at all to keep our options open.

Teams to watch closely if you're the Sox:

Marlins - Hanley and Josh Johnson; although probably unlikely with the new stadium, they're still the Marlins

Padres - obvious, but also Chris Young and Adrian Gonzalez

Cubs - seriously, they've got $120M committed in 2010 without figuring for arbitration, draft, etc. and are going through an ownership change... how funny would it be if the new owners, instead of adding Peavy, felt they needed to dump ARam or Zambrano? I'd LOL.

Phillies - should be around a $100M payroll next year committed with no additions

Rockies - Street, Cook, Atkins probably all go soon, also Hawpe, still hurting from Helton's contract

Toronto - $81M committed next year not figuring draft, arb, etc. Alex Rios should hit the block at least since Wells is probably immovable

Edit: Here's the link where I got the payroll info. It looks like the Sox, Red Sox, Angels, Dodgers, and Orioles are all in position to make some big additions going forward. The Yanks as well if they're going to maintain a $200M payroll, also potentially the Mets if they're going to stay in the $120M+ range.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 29, 2009 -> 12:29 AM)
Alex Rios should hit the block at least since Wells is probably immovable

I've always wanted to see Rios in a Sox uni, but at a much lower cost than what he's being paid right now, and I don't think he can play CF which sucks

anyone else think he looks like Javy's twin

In case we want to play telephone again. Roy Oswalt has played with and can call the following White Sox.

Dotel

Linebrink

Geoff Blum

Darin Erstad

Joe McEwing (White Sox minor league coach)

Watch How Far I Can Stretch!

Keith Ginter

Daryle Ward

Why wouldn't he want to play for the team that crushed his hopes and dreams back in 2005?

.....and who's his best friend?

jake_peavy_roy_oswalt_drunk2-400x299.jpg

jake_peavy_roy_oswalt_drunk3-400x299.jpg

Oswalt is a guy we would be looking at. I just don't know if Houston wants get rid of him just yet. Toronto would have be blown away get rid of Halladay and if beckham isnt in it with others than that's not happening. Bedard, is name that also that appears that kenny likes and might try hard to get.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 29, 2009 -> 05:10 AM)
.....and who's his best friend?

jake_peavy_roy_oswalt_drunk2-400x299.jpg

jake_peavy_roy_oswalt_drunk3-400x299.jpg

all I see is a plastered Jake Peavy

If the Sox were willing to take on Peavy, they are more than willing to take Oswalt. Again, it would be all up to Oswalt.

QUOTE (OilCan @ May 28, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad...

Roy-Os best days are behind him.

Yes indeed, but what needs to be considered is this; are his current days a significant upgrade from the current days of the rest of this staff? A declining Thome (for example) is a upgrade from most other DHs in baseball. (To pull an example out thing air)

The danger, and what you are probably alluding to, how fast and hard will the decline be?

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 29, 2009 -> 09:58 AM)
How has the name Hunter Pence not come up?

Wanna rebuild a farm system.....

I think because Houston doesnt want to get rid of him, they probably want to build around him

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 29, 2009 -> 09:58 AM)
How has the name Hunter Pence not come up?

Wanna rebuild a farm system.....

Hunter Pence was selected in the second round of the 2004 draft. The White Sox had 5 of the first 60 picks. They picked Fields, Lunsden, Gio, Whisler and Lucy before Houston selected Pence. Its one of the reasons while I don't get excited late first round and second round compensation picks.

all I see is a plastered Jake Peavy

If the Sox were willing to take on Peavy, they are more than willing to take Oswalt. Again, it would be all up to Oswalt.

Read the file description. Oswalt is wearing black on the right hand side of the first picture.

Man...that's an awful lot of money he's owed. I know we have money coming off the books, but for a guy his age, that's steep. There's going to have to be cash coming back if they want a package anywhere close to what we offered for Peavy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 29, 2009 -> 02:02 PM)
Man...that's an awful lot of money he's owed. I know we have money coming off the books, but for a guy his age, that's steep. There's going to have to be cash coming back if they want a package anywhere close to what we offered for Peavy.

That makes sense from the WS perspective. However, if I'm the next GM, I'm thinking they were willing to give up that before, but it couldn't get done, they will offer at least that, plus more, or receive less, to get the next deal done. I'm certainly not going to allow them a better deal. The cats out of the bag. Makes the next negotiation that much tougher.

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 29, 2009 -> 12:05 PM)
That makes sense from the WS perspective. However, if I'm the next GM, I'm thinking they were willing to give up that before, but it couldn't get done, they will offer at least that, plus more, or receive less, to get the next deal done. I'm certainly not going to allow them a better deal. The cats out of the bag. Makes the next negotiation that much tougher.

Does Houston necessarily know who the PTBNL were or at least who was on the list? With that contract, you could interest me in something like Oswalt for Poreda and Richard straight up...no money exchanging hands...but you're simply not getting extra young pitching talent off of me...but with the Peavy trade, extra young talent was hidden as 2 PTBNL's.