Latest Starter Linked to Sox in a Roundabout Way: Roy Oswalt

fathom

Edit: I just suggested pick up Beltre and Bedard together, but actually Beltre is only hitting .216/.249/.320 right now as an $11M/yr player with 8BB and 35K. Ouch! Russell Branyan must have done a little midnight surgery and swapped brains while Beltre was sleeping or something. Screw Beltre then, and screw this imaginary deal.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jimmywins1 @ May 31, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)
We offered Richard and Poreda for 3 years of Peavy, no way they get traded for 3 months of Bedard.

I don't think Bedard is worth either of them straight up. He's supposedly not the best clubhouse guy and he's an injury risk. The draft picks would be the only reason I'd want him, and I'd gladly give up several prospects who I would value less than Type A comp picks in next years draft.

I have no problem trading either Richard, Poreda, or both, but not a chance in hell for Bedard.

Close the thread down....Oswalt won't waive his no trade clause to the Sox

Roy Oswalt-S-Astros May. 31 - 6:50 pm et

The Houston Chronicle says it has learned that Roy Oswalt would not accept a trade to play for the White Sox.

The Chronicle's Jose de Jesus Ortiz doesn't offer anything at all to back up that statement. He didn't even cite any anonymous sources during his proclamation. Oswalt, of course, does have a full no-trade clause. There has been no indication that the White Sox and Astros were or are close to a deal, though it's believed that the White Sox do have some interest.

Source: Houston Chronicle

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ May 31, 2009 -> 06:12 PM)

I really don't think we need Oswalt. Not at the price of what we were going to pay for Peavy and maybe more.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ May 31, 2009 -> 06:12 PM)

Jose de Jesus Ortiz, or whatever the hell his name is, didn't give a single source. Right now, I'd say it's pure speculation of Jose's end.

Anyone here knows Jose's reputation? Is he solid, or is he a joke like some of the Chicago writers?

As of right now on the bottom line on Comcast Sports Net:

"Report: Roy Oswalt would not agree on the trade to the White Sox"

EDIT - Beat me to it, but it's clear this rumor is picking up not only in Chicago, but also in Houston.

Edited by tommy

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ May 31, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)
White Sox Targeting Bedard, Oswalt

By Steve Adams [May 31 at 2:53pm CST]

Don't expect Kenny Williams to just sit back and wait for Jake Peavy to change his mind. According to Joe Cowley at the Chicago Sun-Times, the White Sox general manager has shifted his focus to Mariners lefty Erik Bedard and Houston's long-time ace Roy Oswalt. Cowley says that manager Ozzie Guillen says he never knows what's next with Kenny.

Cowley also has comments from A.J. Pierzynski, Jim Thome, and Clayton Richard on the situation.

We heard earlier this week that if the Mariners move Bedard, they'll be asking for a package similar to or greater than what was offered for Peavy. I can't see Williams ponying up like that, but both aces will require a sizeable bounty from anyone who targets them.

If so, they can go f*** themselves.

Bedard is 30, a FA after the year, and is a health risk. Sucks for them that they got the worse end of the deal, but if they want to get anything for Bedard before the deadline, they should explore the idea of not asking for a ridiculous price.

QUOTE (tommy @ May 31, 2009 -> 06:35 PM)
As of right now on the bottom line on Comcast Sports Net:

"Report: Roy Oswalt would not agree on the trade to the White Sox"

EDIT - Beat me to it, but it's clear this rumor is picking up not only in Chicago, but also in Houston.

That makes it sound like we had a trade completed.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ May 31, 2009 -> 06:47 PM)
Makes you wonder why these guys wouldn't want to come here... if they are afraid to pitch in the AL then we don't need those p**** ass b****es anyway.

who is that in your avatar?

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ May 31, 2009 -> 11:47 PM)
Makes you wonder why these guys wouldn't want to come here... if they are afraid to pitch in the AL then we don't need those p**** ass b****es anyway.

Because these guys know they won't put up as good of numbers in the AL and at the Cell, and they'd be hard pressed to get another big contract when their current one expires.

May 31, 2009

Oswalt will not accept trade to Chicago White Sox

Although the Chicago White Sox have had a special assistant to the general manager at the Astros' last two series, you can put an end to any speculation about Roy Oswalt accepting a trade to the White Sox.

Because Bill Scherrer, a special assistant to White Sox GM Kenny Williams, has been at the Astros' last two series, there has been quite a bit of speculation nationally regarding the possibility of Oswalt landing with the White Sox a few weeks after Oswalt's good friend Jake Peavy refused a trade to the White Sox.

Oswalt isn't talking publicly about any trade speculation, but the Chronicle has learned that Oswalt would invoke his no-trade clause if the White Sox attempted to acquire him.

Oswalt has a no-trade clause, and if he ever waived it to go play in Chicago it would be with the Cubs and not the White Sox.

Because of the recent turmoil surrounding Cecil Cooper, some national media, without even talking to Oswalt, have insinuated that he wants out of Houston. One report even claimed Oswalt was upset that the Astros didn't try to acquire Peavy.

As some of you will remember, this winter I reached Peavy on Oswalt's cell phone when they were on a hunting trip. During that phone interview Peavy admitted that he'd embrace a trade to the Astros, promising to discuss trade talks for the first and last time of the winter that time. Peavy remained mum the rest of the winter until he got to spring training.

Would Oswalt love to have Peavy in Houston? Absolutely. But it is irresponsible and a flat out lie for anybody to write that Oswalt wants out of Houston because he's upset that the team didn't acquire Peavy.

In this blog on Thursday, I wrote about Scherrer being in Cincinnati and Pittsburgh watching the Astros. I didn't write about it in the paper because I was assured by a top National League official who would know that the Astros and White Sox weren't in any trade talks.

That can always change, but I'm writing this blog just to make clear that Oswalt isn't going to accept a trade to the White Sox.

So before folks continue to speculate on Oswalt, cross the White Sox off that list. Now, if the Cubs or St. Louis Cardinals call, I would expect him to say yes right away if the Astros approach him and ask him to do it to help the franchise rebuild for the future.

Posted by Jose de Jesus Ortiz at May 31, 2009 04:04 PM

http://blogs.chron.com/baseballblog/archiv...t_will_not.html

Edited by Linnwood

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 31, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)
If so, they can go f*** themselves.

Bedard is 30, a FA after the year, and is a health risk. Sucks for them that they got the worse end of the deal, but if they want to get anything for Bedard before the deadline, they should explore the idea of not asking for a ridiculous price.

They have every right to ask for a ridiculous price at this point. Doesn't mean it won't come down.

What you have to remember is...the Mariners still get 2 draft picks if they do nothing. You have to beat the price of a late first rounder and a sandwich pick, because that's what they get if a contender signs him.

May 31, 2009

Oswalt will not accept trade to Chicago White Sox

Although the Chicago White Sox have had a special assistant to the general manager at the Astros' last two series, you can put an end to any speculation about Roy Oswalt accepting a trade to the White Sox.

Because Bill Scherrer, a special assistant to White Sox GM Kenny Williams, has been at the Astros' last two series, there has been quite a bit of speculation nationally regarding the possibility of Oswalt landing with the White Sox a few weeks after Oswalt's good friend Jake Peavy refused a trade to the White Sox.

Oswalt isn't talking publicly about any trade speculation, but the Chronicle has learned that Oswalt would invoke his no-trade clause if the White Sox attempted to acquire him.

Oswalt has a no-trade clause, and if he ever waived it to go play in Chicago it would be with the Cubs and not the White Sox.

Because of the recent turmoil surrounding Cecil Cooper, some national media, without even talking to Oswalt, have insinuated that he wants out of Houston. One report even claimed Oswalt was upset that the Astros didn't try to acquire Peavy.

As some of you will remember, this winter I reached Peavy on Oswalt's cell phone when they were on a hunting trip. During that phone interview Peavy admitted that he'd embrace a trade to the Astros, promising to discuss trade talks for the first and last time of the winter that time. Peavy remained mum the rest of the winter until he got to spring training.

Would Oswalt love to have Peavy in Houston? Absolutely. But it is irresponsible and a flat out lie for anybody to write that Oswalt wants out of Houston because he's upset that the team didn't acquire Peavy.

In this blog on Thursday, I wrote about Scherrer being in Cincinnati and Pittsburgh watching the Astros. I didn't write about it in the paper because I was assured by a top National League official who would know that the Astros and White Sox weren't in any trade talks.

That can always change, but I'm writing this blog just to make clear that Oswalt isn't going to accept a trade to the White Sox.

So before folks continue to speculate on Oswalt, cross the White Sox off that list. Now, if the Cubs or St. Louis Cardinals call, I would expect him to say yes right away if the Astros approach him and ask him to do it to help the franchise rebuild for the future.

Posted by Jose de Jesus Ortiz at May 31, 2009 04:04 PM

http://blogs.chron.com/baseballblog/archiv...t_will_not.html

This article screams BS at me. Who's his source? How does he know he would rather play for the Cubs or Cardinals? Why would the Astros trade him to a division rival? Seems like a flawed article.

You might want to change this thread to the "Latest Starting Pitcher Linked to the Sox".

Kenny has laid down the marker early with the Peavy trade talks. Now that new SP's are coming near the trade market, other teams GM's will be calling KW. If the right deal comes along--say a Haren, Webb [someone locked up through 2010 at minimum] KW will be right in the conversation.

I can't see KW giving up a boatload for Bedard. Few, if any, teams will.

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ May 31, 2009 -> 07:15 PM)
isnt that the point?

By way too much, I mean we probably don't have enough to get him. I think he's signed through 2012 at a relatively good price.