Latest Starter Linked to Sox in a Roundabout Way: Roy Oswalt

fathom

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 12:43 PM)
If we are going to give up a ton of talent and pay a huge salary, then I want the Sox to get a proven AL pitcher. I'd love to Haren. What is up with Pedro? At least Pedro would not cost us Richard.

What's up with Pedro? He's not Haren, Peavy, or Oswalt. Not even close. That's whats up.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 02:10 PM)
What's up with Pedro? He's not Haren, Peavy, or Oswalt. Not even close. That's whats up.

yep. and if you think about it, is Pedro really that much better than Colon? Colon has been servicable. KW is looking to upgrade from servicable to a top of the rotation ace.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 09:43 AM)
If we are going to give up a ton of talent and pay a huge salary, then I want the Sox to get a proven AL pitcher. I'd love to Haren. What is up with Pedro? At least Pedro would not cost us Richard.

He's available but either no one thinks he's worth anything or no one's been willing to meet his asking price yet.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)
Count me in on the Dan Haren bandwagon.

Just the thought of a righty with a 2.54 ERA, 0.90 WHIP, 71 SO and 9 BB on our team makes me gitty.

I would love Haren as well. I also like the idea of Cain when rumors were going around that they were shopping him, although it appears those rumors were false.

KW: "National League pitchers don't like pitching in the AL. That doesn't make them fearful.

It makes them smart."

Williams said there was no deal even in place for a certain Astros pitcher."

from Cowley FWIW we all know that could mean something totally opposite, but maybe we can shut down this thread for now.

White Sox's Kenny Williams denies interest in Houston's Roy Oswalt

By Dave van Dyck

White Sox general manager Kenny Williams said Monday he had not talked with the Houston Astros about ace Roy Oswalt, who would have to approve any trade and apparently would not go to the Sox.

"I prefer not to get into confirming or denying something because you tip your hand and if you tip your hand, you don't get anything done," he said."But I'll make the exception so everyone can relax a little bit.

"I haven't talked to the Houston Astros about any pitching whatsoever."

Williams said the appearance of his special assistant, Bill Scherrer, was just coincidence and that he didn't even know Scherrer was the

And here is the dumbest thing to ever be said. According to Cubs ass kisser Paul Sullivan (on ESPN 1000), the reason Peavy and Oswalt didn't want to pitch in the AL Central for the Sox is possibly because the other teams in the AL Central play in bland cities (Detroit, Minnesota, Cleveland, KC). Thus, that's why they'd rather play for the Cubs and travel to the beautiful cities of St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and Milwaukee.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 05:56 PM)
And here is the dumbest thing to ever be said. According to Cubs ass kisser Paul Sullivan (on ESPN 1000), the reason Peavy and Oswalt didn't want to pitch in the AL Central for the Sox is possibly because the other teams in the AL Central play in bland cities (Detroit, Minnesota, Cleveland, KC). Thus, that's why they'd rather play for the Cubs and travel to the beautiful cities of St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and Milwaukee.

I hate the idiot Cubdom of this town.

Oh I heard that too. It got me so steamed. :angry:

I like going to games at Miller Park, but Milwaukee is an ugly city. Sorry.

Paul Sullivan claims to be a Sox fan. That's got to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

That may be the dumbest thing I've heard recently.

Ken Williams would like to comment in detail on all the trade talk surrounding Houston Astros pitcher Roy Oswalt.

Then again, the White Sox general manager insisted that he could only comment on something that had some sort of truth to it.

"I really prefer not to get into confirming or denying something because you tip your hand and if you tip your hand, you don't get anything done,'' Williams said on Monday. "But I'll make the exception so everyone can relax a little bit. I haven't talked to the Houston Astrrois about any pitching whatsoever.''

Williams was then asked about a Houston Chronicle story in which is was assumed that Oswalt would go the Jake Peavy route, using his no-trade clause to block a deal to the South Side.

"You want me to respond to something we haven't made an overture towards?'' Williams said. "He probably hasn't been asked the question and someone has written or talked about it as though it were something that was imminent or a reality. And it's not.''

The first manager Ozzie Guillen heard of the Oswalt rumors didn't even come from his GM. It came from his middle son, Oney.

"I just want to laugh because some people are making deals out there,'' Guillen said. "They aren't even close to being around us. The only guy who can get that thing clear is Kenny. Kenny is not going to lie to you guys. Kenny likes to do stuff, you know what I mean, and not make a big deal about it. When I see people who are not White Sox people saying we're going to make this move, we're going to make that move, I just laugh.

"I just find out when Oney text messaged me to ask me about it. The way we throw the ball and the way we do stuff, I don't think we need anybody right now.''

Williams did admit that Sox special assistant Bill Scherrer was watching Houston last week, but was there as part of his normal routine. What then happened was the media tried to make it fit into a nice little box, especially in the wake of the Sox' interest in acquiring Peavy.

"Billy Scherrer happens to be on his regular tour,'' Williams said. "I didn't even know he was in Houston. Because he's seen, there's an automatic assumption.

"I'm very sensitive about false hustle. The perception, during the offseason you see this more, clubs say they are going after this guy or that guy, and it's like, 'Really?' It's false hustle and misleading to your fan base.''