Sox acquire Ramon Castro and cash for Lance Broadway

scenario

I found this on a Mets message board and lost it...

I just want to learn more about Lance Broadway. He's been a legit prospect in the ChiSox system for a couple years, so I'm just wondering why they were willing to trade a legit starting pitching prospect for a starting-caliber but injury-prone catcher.

:lolhitting

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Castro's a much better hitter than Corky. Don't know about defense though. Broadway had no future to begin with. What puzzles me is that the Yankees got Joba with the 41st pick that year. How do you pass on a guy who throws 98 MPH?

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ May 29, 2009 -> 10:25 PM)

I just want to learn more about Lance Broadway. He's been a legit prospect in the ChiSox system for a couple years, so I'm just wondering why they were willing to trade a legit starting pitching prospect for a starting-caliber but injury-prone catcher.

lulz for realz.

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ May 29, 2009 -> 10:25 PM)

That dude is in for a rude awakening. I love the trade. Quality backup catcher for a guy who wouldn't even make an Astros top-10 prospects list.

Great deal for the Sox. They dump Broadway and replace Corky without taking on salary.

I think the greatest sign is that Kenny has really been busy. Dumped MacDougal, dumped Owens, dumped Broadway, personally scouting draft prospects, trying to deal for Peavy... I like where this is heading. This will be an interesting season all around.

Castro's vs. Lefties over the past 3 years - .275 .341 .808 Better than who we had vs. right handers too OPS=.778

Seems like a nice upgrade offensively and I feel much better if AJ should happen to need an extended time off for any reason. I don't know much at all about his defense and handling of pitchers. How is this guy behind the plate?

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ May 29, 2009 -> 10:37 PM)
Castro's vs. Lefties over the past 3 years - .275 .341 .808 Better than who we had vs. right handers too OPS=.778

Seems like a nice upgrade offensively and I feel much better if AJ should happen to need an extended time off for any reason. I don't know much at all about his defense and handling of pitchers. How is this guy behind the plate?

career .990 FPCT behind the plate

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 29, 2009 -> 10:51 PM)
I’ve had the opportunity to watch Castro a bit, because of where I live. He’s a solid player with a lot of room for growth. The reason he did get the bulk of the playing time is because the Mets want to maximize value from the Milledge trade.

He's 33. What you see is what you get. I'll take it considering the crap we gave up.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ May 29, 2009 -> 10:42 PM)
career .990 FPCT behind the plate

Not bad, but he will have to improve on that to meet my standards. I think catcher is a position that is difficult to judge based on defensive stats. You almost have to see him play to see if he makes greats stops in the dirt or if the stolen bases are on the pitcher. If I'm reading these stats, it looks like he throws out 28% of runners attempting to steal. Castro Career Defensive Stats

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 29, 2009 -> 11:56 PM)
He's 33. What you see is what you get. I'll take it considering the crap we gave up.

I agree that we won't see any dynamic improvement, but i think in our ballpark we'll see a bit more of what Castro has to offer then the Mets did.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 29, 2009 -> 11:04 PM)
JPN, what does Whisler offer besides his mid-90's FB?

I haven't seen him pitch in person in 2 years. I do remember that he struggled with command back then, but it seems he's worked it out.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 29, 2009 -> 11:04 PM)
JPN, what does Whisler offer besides his mid-90's FB?

His K per 9 innings is not at all impressive. He's also giving up more than a hit per 9. Somehow he has a good era and a decent whip so I don't know how he's doing it and I know nothing about him, but have never been blown away by what i've read.

Maybe he 'pitches to contact'... hell i dont know, but if he isn't lit up by major league hitters Ill be shocked. Then again, no one expected a lot out of Richard and he's looking like a legit arm out there.

So what the hey, let's see what the kid has.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 30, 2009 -> 12:27 AM)
I thought Whisler topped out at 90?

Broadway will get a shot at starting I would think and as jason pointed out a week or so ago he may find success somewhere else.

There's very little chance that Broadway will ever start a game for the Mets. He's at least the six or seven best option they have.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 29, 2009 -> 11:27 PM)
I thought Whisler topped out at 90?

Broadway will get a shot at starting I would think and as jason pointed out a week or so ago he may find success somewhere else.

The only time I ever saw him was during a ST in relief where he was like 94-96 and all he threw were fastballs. As a starter I don't know what his velocity is like, but he'll be in relief for us.