Sox acquire Ramon Castro and cash for Lance Broadway

scenario

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 29, 2009 -> 11:24 PM)
This is a huge upgrade offensively.

Exactly.

Castro's put up some pretty good numbers for a backup catcher over the past few years.

So I like the deal on that regard.

But another Duane Shaffer 1st rounder bites the dust.

Be warned Kyle McCullough.

Boo! I am one of 4 Sox fans who liked Broadway.

I am number 2. Good luck Lance. Though I pray we get rid of McCullough and soon. He was waaaaaaaaaaay worse of a pick than Broadway. This deal is meh for me as a fan of Lance but I won't complain. I woulda thought Whisler would come up for Gobble. I can't stand watching that guy pitch.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 30, 2009 -> 01:51 AM)
I am number 2. Good luck Lance. Though I pray we get rid of McCullough and soon. He was waaaaaaaaaaay worse of a pick than Broadway. This deal is meh for me as a fan of Lance but I won't complain. I woulda thought Whisler would come up for Gobble. I can't stand watching that guy pitch.

I'm the 3rd... so who's the 4th?

I'm surprised wite (or others) isn't/aren't laughing at me. I picked Broadway to win the 5th SP spot when Marquez was the favorite.. :lol: I was half joking, but it was a predictions thread so I said why the hell not. (this was also before the Colon aquisition I believe)

I hope I can at least be right about Fields. (you too wite :P)

2005 Draft:

15) Chicago White Sox, Lance Broadway, rhp, TCU

16) Florida, Christopher Volstad, rhp, Palm Beach Gardens HS, Fla.

17) N.Y. Yankees (from Philadelphia for Type B Jon Lieber), Carl Henry, ss, Putnam City HS, Okla.

18) San Diego, Cesar Carrillo, rhp, Miami

19) Texas, John Mayberry, rf, Stanford

20) Chicago Cubs, Mark Pawelek, lhp, Springville HS, Utah

21) Oakland, Clifton Pennington, ss, Texas A&M

22) Florida (from San Francisco for Type A Armando Benitez), Aaron Thompson, lhp, Second Baptist School, Texas

23) Boston (from Los Angeles Angels for Type A Orlando Cabrera), Jacob Ellsbury, cf, Oregon State

24) Houston, Brian Bogusevich, lhp, Tulane

25) Minnesota, Matthew Albidrez-Garza, rhp, Fresno State

Good drafting Sox....

QUOTE (fathom @ May 30, 2009 -> 09:02 AM)
If the Sox didn't take Broadway, they were going to take one of the local boys: Carrillo or Bogusevich. Broadway's actually been better than both.

Yeah, I remember a lot of people pulling for Carrillo. Poor kid's dealt with nothing but injuries.

Bit shocked with the trade and the demotion/release of Corky. I wonder what's the chances of Miller clearing waivers and accepting a demotion to Charlotte? I don't know much about Whistler but he's a lefty and my guess is he replaces Gobble when Jose is back and Gobble goes down to the AAA. I liked Corky, but Castro appears to be better with the bat and defensively. Now Lance? I liked the guy, but I guess he wasn't going to make it on our staff and Clayton Richard has stepped up for sure.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 30, 2009 -> 10:25 AM)
Bit shocked with the trade and the demotion/release of Corky. I wonder what's the chances of Miller clearing waivers and accepting a demotion to Charlotte? I don't know much about Whistler but he's a lefty and my guess is he replaces Gobble when Jose is back and Gobble goes down to the AAA. I liked Corky, but Castro appears to be better with the bat and defensively. Now Lance? I liked the guy, but I guess he wasn't going to make it on our staff and Clayton Richard has stepped up for sure.

Odds are good, but Miller doesn't really improve our AAA team much. We already have two catchers who can't hit down there. However, if one of Pierzynski or Castro get injured, I'd much rather see Lucy up at the big league level than Miller returning.

As for Whisler, I agree. This is likely a tryout to be the second lefty in the pen. Gobble sucks. As for Contreras, I don't think he's close to coming back. He's only had 1 really good outing. Otherwise, he's been mediocre or worse.

I don' t know how anyone could criticize this. Broadway was not going to do anything here and Corky Miller is not a major league hitter, even as a backup catcher. Castro can hit .250 and has serious power. He's also an above average defensive catcher and is an ideal MLB backup catcher.

Also glad Whisler got a call up. I'm skeptical about whether he will have any success or not, as his peripherals in AAA are not good. But he has put up some good ERA numbers the past couple years and did earn a call up. I doubt he's any worse than Gobble.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ May 30, 2009 -> 08:25 AM)
2005 Draft:

15) Chicago White Sox, Lance Broadway, rhp, TCU

16) Florida, Christopher Volstad, rhp, Palm Beach Gardens HS, Fla.

17) N.Y. Yankees (from Philadelphia for Type B Jon Lieber), Carl Henry, ss, Putnam City HS, Okla.

18) San Diego, Cesar Carrillo, rhp, Miami

19) Texas, John Mayberry, rf, Stanford

20) Chicago Cubs, Mark Pawelek, lhp, Springville HS, Utah

21) Oakland, Clifton Pennington, ss, Texas A&M

22) Florida (from San Francisco for Type A Armando Benitez), Aaron Thompson, lhp, Second Baptist School, Texas

23) Boston (from Los Angeles Angels for Type A Orlando Cabrera), Jacob Ellsbury, cf, Oregon State

24) Houston, Brian Bogusevich, lhp, Tulane

25) Minnesota, Matthew Albidrez-Garza, rhp, Fresno State

Good drafting Sox....

That's a bad example. Look at all the other teams that passed on Ellsbury and Garza too. There's a reason they fell to the late 1st round. So, I guess the Yankees, Padres, Rangers, Cubs, A's, Marlins, and Astros all suck at drafting too b/c they passed on at least 1 of the players you put in bold.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 30, 2009 -> 12:04 AM)
Good, Broadway blows. I'm glad to see they got something of value for him.

Im picturing the sort of excitement about Broadway here a few years ago.

This sort of outcome is why I just cant bring myself to get invested in the real young guys, like most of you guys do. I'm interested and lately ive been checking Birmingham box scores, but it seems like so much energy i'm expending on a crapshoot

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 30, 2009 -> 01:32 PM)
That's a bad example. Look at all the other teams that passed on Ellsbury and Garza too. There's a reason they fell to the late 1st round. So, I guess the Yankees, Padres, Rangers, Cubs, A's, Marlins, and Astros all suck at drafting too b/c they passed on at least 1 of the players you put in bold.

I'd rather have Volstad.