Sox acquire Ramon Castro and cash for Lance Broadway

scenario

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ May 30, 2009 -> 12:54 PM)
i'll take injury prone but with ability

over Corky - healthy and bad

and Toby - unhealthy AND bad

Nice to see a gradual improvement in the backup catcher position. It has only taken a few years. Within three more years, we might even trade for a backup who is capable and healthy enough to be a starter on several other teams.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 29, 2009 -> 08:25 PM)
Another first-round draft bust for those of you in love with baseball's draft.

The Sox have a ton of former 1st round picks on there roster, so while he might have busted you can thank the top rounds of the draft for Quentin/Konerko/Floyd/Danks/AJ (and than of course BA/Fields/etc).

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 29, 2009 -> 09:21 PM)
I haven't seen him pitch in person in 2 years. I do remember that he struggled with command back then, but it seems he's worked it out.

He was throwing mid 90's? When I saw him down in Kanny he was throwing like 5 pitches but had little command of any of them and the plus fastball advertised from the draft was non-existent, but I might have just seen him on a bad day. That said I thought he was pitching in the 88-92 MPH range now. Am I wrong?

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 30, 2009 -> 02:02 PM)
So his salary must be $4.35 million during this baseball season. B)

Got me. Sad thing turning 50. Can't even remember what year it is. LOL.

Castro's contract only runs through 2009, during which his salary is $2.5M...

When you consider the season is 1/3 over, that means the Mets have already paid him about $800k.

So, we're basically getting him for next to nothing.

Thats decent value for Broadway than (the cash plus Castro). Not a bad move at all. I think Brodway will have a solid career but I'm really digging that Peavy proposal more and more knowing who three of the parts were (or at least assume to know that it was Poreda/Richard/Brodway.

I wish the Sox had as short of a leash on Widger in 2006 as they did with corky. The Sox eventually dumped him but waited way too long as i recall the Sox losing games by 1 run with Widger leaving tons of runners on base.

QUOTE (scenario @ May 30, 2009 -> 02:22 PM)
Got me. Sad thing turning 50. Can't even remember what year it is. LOL.

Castro's contract only runs through 2009, during which his salary is $2.5M...

When you consider the season is 1/3 over, that means the Mets have already paid him about $800k.

So, we're basically getting him for next to nothing.

If it means anything i thought you were no where near 50.

QUOTE (qwerty @ May 31, 2009 -> 12:46 AM)
If it means anything i thought you were no where near 50.

Thanks. I don't think I'm really much different personality-wise than I was at 30. Just have more experiences and scars. For the most part, my closest friends and I still have the same juvenile sense of humor we've always had. LOL.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 30, 2009 -> 12:32 PM)
That's a bad example. Look at all the other teams that passed on Ellsbury and Garza too. There's a reason they fell to the late 1st round. So, I guess the Yankees, Padres, Rangers, Cubs, A's, Marlins, and Astros all suck at drafting too b/c they passed on at least 1 of the players you put in bold.

In a way I agree with you, but it does proof that the crying there is nothing available when the Sox draft players is bunk. As I posted a few days ago, Hunter Pence was a second round pick in 2004. The Sox picked 5 players before he went off the board.

Getting anything for Broadway is genius, and ridding yourself of having Corky Miller on the major league roster and not actually having to dole out cash is even better. The only question mark is Cqwtro's ability to stay healthy. He's a good hitter for a C.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rtnerId=rss_cws

Castro confident Sox can count on him

Backup catcher focused on helping new team win

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

05/31/09 2:55 PM ET

KANSAS CITY -- A common theme ran through Ramon Castro's first conversation with the Chicago media on Sunday morning at Kauffman Stadium.

The new backup catcher for the White Sox places his sole daily focus on winning.

"That's the reason I'm here," said Castro with a smile.

Castro was acquired by the White Sox from the Mets, along with cash considerations, in exchange for right-handed reliever Lance Broadway as part of a deal announced following Friday's 11-2 victory over the Royals. The 33-year-old provides an upgrade both offensively and defensively behind starter A.J. Pierzynski, with Castro's 13 RBIs as part of the Mets standing as two more than Pierzynski has to date.

Castro's strong arm also will serve as a bonus, as he has thrown out six of 14 attempted basestealers in 2009, and has a 27.7 percent success rate for his career. White Sox catchers are a combined 2-for-43 in throwing out would-be basestealers, but a large share of that problem can be traced to the inability of White Sox pitchers to consistently hold on runners.

"I'm a backup," said Castro of defense being a priority, adding that he already caught three pitchers in Saturday bullpen sessions to learn about what they threw. "Every time I go out there, I care about hitting, but I care more about the pitching.

"Maybe I go 0-for-4, strike out three times and I throw the guy out at second and we win the game. It makes me feel better. That's the kind of guy I am."

He's the kind of guy who has the talent to be an everyday player, but has accepted and flourished in a reserve role.

"I know he's the catcher," said Castro, pointing across the room at Pierzynski during the interview. "When he needs a day off, I'll be there playing and hopefully we win some games."

Manager Ozzie Guillen won a World Series title with Castro and the Florida Marlins in 2003, with Guillen serving as the team's third-base coach before taking charge of the White Sox. Castro is happy to be reunited with Guillen and hopes to share another championship celebration.

"Oh, my god. Fun. Crazy and I love it," said Castro, when asked what it was like being with Guillen as part of the Marlins. "I had a feeling something was going to happen. I'm glad I'm here with Ozzie. I'm here to win."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)

With all the games without a day off including a DH, it was imperative KW get a guy who could contribute offensively as a back-up C ASAP. Not having to give up much and not having to pick up money was a great move. My only questions about him are injuries and this:

Castro is married with three children, and resides in Vega Baja, Puerto Rico. In November 2004 he was charged for a rape that allegedly occurred in a Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania hotel room on August 28, 2003. On November 29, he pleaded no-contest to reduced misdemeanor indecent assault charges and was sentenced to a year of probation.

Edited by Dick Allen