Does Contreras have any trade value?

soxfan420

He has ZERO trade value. He's similar to Pedro right now and nobody wants Pedro. Clayton Richard obviously has been spending time with Buehrle and/or Coop and is working very quickly, throwing a good fastball and also an effective curve or change or something that's working.

Clayton is doing a fine job right now. I would think Oz and KW are definitely impressed.

Considering we'd be eating lots and lots of salary either way, I'd rather keep him in Triple A as Bartolo insurance and see how long Clayton can keep this up. If something incredible happens where Clayton and Colon are both pitching well and Jose is throwing strikes, then we can bring him up and slot him in the front of the pen.

as has been said, contreras' contract makes his trade value = 0

it's a sad story, he was a huge part of 2005 and right now is at the tail end of his career, and pitching in the minor leagues has to kill his confidence

QUOTE (scenario @ May 29, 2009 -> 10:42 PM)
So, you're saying Contreras' trade value is less than a penny...

At least.

Contreras is washed up, time to move on.

When was the last time that guy was legitimately good? Been a while...he served well in 2005 for the Title, but so did Garland and Garcia and they were both moved out...time to move Jose out too.

This quote bothers me:

Contreras update: Jose Contreras is targeted to return to the Sox to pitch one of the games of a June 8 doubleheader against Detroit.

"But the problem is after the doubleheader what are we going to do," Guillen said. "We're going to keep him for one more start and see if he continues to pitch the way he's pitching right now."

Contreras has a 3.04 ERA with 24 strikeouts in 26 2/3 innings at Triple-A Charlotte. His split-finger fastball has been effective.

wtf does that mean, one more start? I assume he's talking about AFTER he starts one of the double header games. This makes it sound like Richard is still not a sure thing in the rotation. I wonder if they worry about having three lefties. They shouldn't.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 30, 2009 -> 01:58 AM)
This quote bothers me:

wtf does that mean, one more start? I assume he's talking about AFTER he starts one of the double header games. This makes it sound like Richard is still not a sure thing in the rotation. I wonder if they worry about having three lefties. They shouldn't.

After another great start from CR there is no way Jose replaces him in the rotation. I think he'll be:

1) Bartolo insurance

2) Spot starter when needed for double headers etc

3) Mop up guy in pen

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 30, 2009 -> 11:27 AM)
We will need a healthy Jose down the stretch. If he can heal up and find his control he will be a top of the line guy again

Disagree, the best we can hope for is league-average production. A guy with Jose's mileage just doesn't figure it out all of the sudden.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 30, 2009 -> 11:26 AM)
Disagree, the best we can hope for is league-average production. A guy with Jose's mileage just doesn't figure it out all of the sudden.

Its not matter of figuring out, because he has it in him. It is being able to get past the physical and mostly mental limitations that come after a long layoff and a major injury.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 30, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
Could still be useful to us though. Even as a reliever.

Agreed. I like the idea of making him a long reliever/6th starter. He might put a bit more on the heater if he's only going 2-3 innings at a time.

It's no time to factor his $10M salary into any decision, that's a sunk cost.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ May 30, 2009 -> 03:00 PM)
Agreed. I like the idea of making him a long reliever/6th starter. He might put a bit more on the heater if he's only going 2-3 innings at a time.

It's no time to factor his $10M salary into any decision, that's a sunk cost.

Honestly, if he has rediscovered his forkball, as they say he has, he can start again in this league and be effective.

And something tells me we'll need him plenty of times before this year is finished.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 30, 2009 -> 01:53 PM)
Honestly, if he has rediscovered his forkball, as they say he has, he can start again in this league and be effective.

And something tells me we'll need him plenty of times before this year is finished.

He's still struggling to throw strikes in the minors though. When he's throwing strikes/pitching ahead of people he's unhittable.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 30, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)
He's still struggling to throw strikes in the minors though. When he's throwing strikes/pitching ahead of people he's unhittable.

Here's the breakout from his 4 games in Charlotte for total pitches and # of strikes.

May 13th - 108 pitches: 57 strikes

May 18th - 100 pitches: 66 strikes

May 23rd - 104 pitches: 66 strikes

May 28th - 78 pitches: 52 strikes

Decent progress in his last outing.

So... it will be interesting to see how his next outing goes. He's scheduled to pitch Tuesday against Columbus. That would also set him up schedule-wise to pitch for the Sox in the double-header on the 8th

Consdering any team in baseball could have had him for nothing when the Sox sent him down, I would say he has no trade value unless you want to pick up most of the money left in his contract, and even then you wouldn't get a player who could help you. The best-case scenerio is for Jose to get his feel back and pitch for the White Sox.

Contreras will likely take Richard's old job as a long reliever/ spot starter. He will likely be Colon's insurance policy for the remainder of the year.

My question is, with Richard's emergence as a solid starter, what will Kenny do? IMO you would have to keep the Richard. He has most definitley earned a spot. The only way you trade Richard, is if you could aqcuire a guy like Haren. I really hope KW could find a way to get a top of the rotation Righty with out giving up Richard. The good news is, we have Poreda to offer as the prize pitcher to any trade. With the talent we have at double-a, im positive KW could swing a deal w/o giving up Richard as well.

Since Colon doesn't accept bullpen roles, he would likely be dealt to a team in need of a backend starter in the scenario of aqcuirering a starting pitcher.

Whose out there? Supposely Peavy remains a possibility, but i doubt that. Apparantley Oswalt doesn't want to come here, but who knows if thats true? Bedard? That would be waaay too many Lefties. Brandon Webb may be a perfect fit. Haren would be amazing, but AZ would likely ask for a combo of Beckham AND Poreda, would you do that? Hot Stove is getting a little warmer. . . especially as we get back into the race. Just keep winning baby!!