Eating Some Crow!!!!!

BearSox

Last year and going into this year, I was one of the harder critics on Richard. I wasn't impressed with what I saw from him last year and didn't think he had the stuff to be a quality starter... However, I was dead wrong!

In his pas 3 starts, Richard has shown me that he has some very legit stuff. Also, it's obvious he's learned a lot about pitching from Buehrle. He's become much more of a pitcher and he works fast very similar to Buehrle, and he has developed a really good pickoff move. However, he's got a lot better stuff. He's basically got 5 pitches he can throw for strikes:

4-seam fastball that averages around 94 that can get up to 95 or 96.

2-seam fastball that averages around 91 with good sinking action.

Slider with good sweeping action that can be nasty at times.

A solid-good changeup.

And I think he might have a bit of a curve as well.

Obviously, it's only been 3 starts, but Richard is showing he has the stuff to be a pretty darn good pitcher. I'm glad we didn't trade him now, and if he keeps progressing, we'll be in good shape.

This crow is tasting terrific!

Good post! Hopefully some of us will have to do a Fields' one soon.

He's been really impressive, and as you point out, his stuff looks good.

Gavin's stuff has looked better, MB has been good all year and Danks is up and down, hopefully all 4 can get rolling and the Sox can make some more noise

Here's a few recipes from the web to help people choke down their crow. Bon appetit. :P

Crow Pie:

1 crow

stuffing of your choice

salt and pepper

shortening

flour

2 Pie crust mixes

2-3 hard-boiled eggs

Stuff the crow. Loosen joints with a knife but do not cut through.

Simmer the crow in a stew-pan, with enough water to cover, until nearly tender, then season with salt and pepper. Remove meat from bones and set aside.

Prepare pie crusts as directed. (Do not bake)

Make a medium thick gravy with flour, shortening, and juices in which the crow has cooked and let cool.

Line a pie plate with pie crust and line with slices of hard-boiled egg. Place crow meat on top. Layer gravy over the crow. Place second pie dough crust over top.

Bake at 450 degrees for 1/2 hour.

Crow and Mushroom Stew

3 crows

1 Tbsp lard/shortening

1 pint stock or gravy

2 Tbsp cream

1/2 cup mushrooms

salt and pepper

cayenne pepper

Clean and cut crows into small portions and let them cook a short time in the lard/shortening in a saucepan, being careful not to brown them.

Next, add to the contents of the pan, the stock or gravy, and salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.

Simmer 1 hour, or until tender, add mushrooms, simmer 10 minutes more and then stir in cream.

Arrange the mushrooms around the crows on a hot platter.

Potted Crow:

6 crows

3 bacon slices

stuffing of your choice

1 diced carrot

1 diced onion

chopped parsley

hot water or stock

1/4 cup shortening

1/4 cup flour

buttered toast

Clean and dress crows; stuff and place them upright in stew-pan on the slices of bacon. Add the carrot, onion and a little parsley, and cover with boiling water or stock.

Cover the pot and let simmer for 2-3 hours, or until tender, adding boiling water or stock when necessary.

Make a sauce of the shortening and flour and 2 cups of the stock remaining in the pan.

Serve each crow on a thin slice of moistened toast, and pour gravy over all.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 30, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
Richard's basically got 5 pitches he can throw for strikes:

A solid-good changeup.

In the minors, when he was locating his curve, it was deadly.

It comes in as sort of a sweeping hook at about 78 mph.

Nasty after looking at a 93-94 mph fastball or a low 90's slider.

I hope he starts throwing it up here with some consistency because it makes his fastball and slider much more effective.

Just a week ago I thought he was a guy who was destined for the NL, but he has shown that he can be a shut down type pitcher and I know he has the mind set to gut out a start when he isn't at his best (we saw this last year). I'm shocked by how good he has been.

I know Clayton was mentioned by some during his ascent through the Sox system, but I know that no one here at least expected what we have seen out of him since be became a starter. Do people think that this is going to be the Clayton Richard that we see going forward, or are there people out there who are expected the same, once through the order, guy, that we saw last year?

Should we even be talking about trading Clayton, even in a package for a top of the line starter?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 30, 2009 -> 11:46 AM)
I know Clayton was mentioned by some during his ascent through the Sox system, but I know that no one here at least expected what we have seen out of him since be became a starter. Do people think that this is going to be the Clayton Richard that we see going forward, or are there people out there who are expected the same, once through the order, guy, that we saw last year?

Should we even be talking about trading Clayton, even in a package for a top of the line starter?

Richard has the stuff to pitch in the bigs. He has a good arm angle and for whatever reason batters don't get a good read off of his stuff as they rarely square him up. I'm not quite certain why because he doesn't have filthy movement but from where it comes the ball is disguised well and guys just don't pick it up well. On top of that he's doing a stellar job changing speeds and locations and really looks good. I think as his command improves we are talking about a guy with the upside to be a good middle of the rotation starter (and thats freaking awesome). He seems to have a pretty smooth delivery, which is another plus and his velocity is definately nice from the left side.

I've long wondered whether Clayton had the secondary stuff to succeed and I still don't know if he does but as long as he changes speeds like he's been doing he'll be alright. Keep doing that, improve the command and hone your craft and we got a good one. Worse case he'll be a f***ing stud lefty reliever long-term.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ May 30, 2009 -> 02:40 PM)
What I like about him is he didn't b**** or freak out after his name was mentioned in trade talks.

Just came out and pitched his best ball.

Plus, he's a good athlete, stud QB in high school who was recruited to Michigan and then left the dark side for a better sport!!!

Honestly, how does one get pissed off about being named in a deal for Jake Peavy?

I would have been pretty stoked, personally.

Remember Shipps, Poreda is projected by some to slide into the pen. While I think he has a great trade value and I'm not opposed to moving him I also think he could just as easily come in and be a dominant reliever. Oh and his sinker is really good so he might very well be able to be a very very sucessful starter for a long time too and it shouldn't be a problem having a ton of lefties since the lefties all are a bit different (Poreda being a power lefty, Buehrle being crafty, Danks being crafty with better stuff and Richard having a bit of power himself).

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ May 30, 2009 -> 03:08 PM)
can we afford Oswalt????

we could have afforded Peavy? I'd say no, but management was still willing to do it. Also, there is a lot of money coming off the books after this season.

As for Richard, I'm still not sold guys. His last 3 starts have been against the Blue Jays, Pirates, and Royals. IMO the Blue Jays are the only team in that group with a real offense, so I'll give him that.

Edited by Paint it Black

yes but he's a fifth starter and he's beating the teams he should and as we know we've had some problems finding a solid 5th starter to put out there some seasons. He's keeping us in games, which is much more than the Count had been giving us. "Mini-Buehrle" keep up the good work.

QUOTE (MEANS @ May 30, 2009 -> 05:18 PM)
yes but he's a fifth starter and he's beating the teams he should and as we know we've had some problems finding a solid 5th starter to put out there some seasons. He's keeping us in games, which is much more than the Count had been giving us. "Mini-Buehrle" keep up the good work.

If he keeps pitching like this...he'll be the 4th starter and Colon will be 5th. Richard is kickin' some tail right now.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 30, 2009 -> 03:41 PM)
I said this in another thread already but we really do need to pick one of Poreda or Richard to move forward with. We cant have a 4 lefty rotation, can we?

I don't care if it's an all lefty rotation, if they can pitch, who cares?

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 30, 2009 -> 05:42 PM)
If he keeps pitching like this...he'll be the 4th starter and Colon will be 5th. Richard is kickin' some tail right now.

He still qualifies as a rookie, right? So, if he keeps this up, there's no reason to think why he wouldn't have a good shot at ROY.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 30, 2009 -> 12:48 PM)

A solid-good changeup.

I’ve been trying to get a good read of Richard. When he was drafted he had a 90's sinker, a change and a slider, this seems to have changed (for the better). Is he just throwing a harder fastball, slider and change now, or does he still work in the curve? Is that the two-seamer i'm seeing? I’m hearing and seeing a lot of conflicting reports, but i love how he's changing his repertoire.