Eating Some Crow!!!!!

BearSox

What's most amazing to me in watching him grow is last year it seemed that he basically threw the SAME PITCH with the same velocity every time, no matter what. Now he's mixing everything up, and it's fun to watch. I hope I continue to eat crow on him as well....

I had written him off as a reliever (although I really liked him in that role) and I was unhappy to put him in the rotation. I thought Jose should be given at least another start to see if he showed any sort of improvement since I felt going to Richard was basically looking for a decent first 5 IP and then turning it over to Carrasco or something.

Boy I am glad to be wrong. The way he can sidearm ace a RH hitter with a 94mph inside fastball after forcing him to cover the outside part of the plate is beautiful. I'm not going to eat crow should he keep this up because I don't believe in shooting wild birds for the sake of sports bets, but I will gladly buy a lengua burrito and eat that instead.

I'd still trade him though, lol. But only for someone very good, not someone who is just pretty good like I would have before. And f*** Peavy and his 12.10 ERA in the playoffs anyway. Clayton may not have a Cy Young, but at least he has playoff sac.

Personally I'm excited about him. If he can continue to keep his velocity late into games there is no reason he can't be a very very solid #3 with the potential for a few career years.

Below are two spread sheets I made from the stats provided by baseball-reference. A couple of things to note; obviously Mark Buehrle didn't spend much time down in the minors and the rest spent over 450+ IP in the minors. Also Mark was the fastest to reach the majors at age 21 followed by Lester at age 22, Pettitte at 23 and Richard at 24.

20090601-r4nkp5x3yuim649ssukpt6bnpn.jpg

20090601-maxijxfem7egh3ywh1qr97ksir.jpg

I hope he can learn the cutter from Coop and Mark if he can he will be lethal.

:gosoxretro:

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 30, 2009 -> 10:52 AM)
Good post! Hopefully some of us will have to do a Fields' one soon.

as long as Fields has that "windup hitch" in his backswing he'll never catch up with a good MLB fastball, which he misses consistently, even when right down the pipe. If only we had a hitting coach to correct such minor flaws :unsure:

QUOTE (stretchstretch @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 02:11 PM)
as long as Fields has that "windup hitch" in his backswing he'll never catch up with a good MLB fastball, which he misses consistently, even when right down the pipe. If only we had a hitting coach to correct such minor flaws :unsure:

I can't wait for Super Walker to cross his arms, blink his eyes and *poof* correct a hitch in a hitters swing.

What? You think any hitting coach hasn't seen an issue and told a player? Or that a player loses said hitch in BP and it comes back again during a game? You think Walker is really a shapeshifter that can go to the plate as every player and take over?

Enough with the Greg Walker bashing. At some point, the players need to take responsibility for themselves. If not, Fields has some players waiting at AAA and AA that can take over.

I liked this kid from the beginning and I thought some of the heat he was getting here was unwarranted,he made a few good starts where he was solid for 3 or 4 innings before he lost it and then he made some great pitches against the Rays in particular that made me hopeful but I know its only been a few starts but he's showing us he's got the stuff to be a pretty good pitcher,keep it up CR!