Brian Anderson

knightni

Has he lost his luster in the eyes of Soxtalk faithful?

What bugs me the most about him is that he falls for the same stuff over and over at the plate.

He gets two strikes on him, and the pitcher will always pitch him down and away offspeed. A majority of the time, Anderson will flail at it and miss. It seems like everyone (coaches, teammates, opposing players, fans) knows it's coming except him, yet he falls for it.

I hope that there's a decent starting CF option acquired in the offseason, because:

I ADMIT IT (crow time) OZZIE'S BEEN RIGHT ABOUT ANDERSON ALL ALONG! :crying

yep, he is clearly over now. He wen 2-4 last night, and 0-fer tonight, should probably just cut out losses and put Pods in center.

The end of BA will come when he starts platooning with the other 2 idiots we have as "outfielders"

Seriously though, he obviously is a better hitter with empty bases so far (over .300-something, fewer strikeouts, smaller sample size and all) but it's not like people expect him to be hitting anywhere above 5th. And it's not like he's been an absolute failure with RISP. This thread is sort of an overreaction (if it's a serious thread) because Anderson looked wretched against Meche's curveball today.

Edited by lostfan

If you expect Brian to be an offensive force, you're insane. Fact of the matter is that he's an average offensive player and a very above average defensive player at a very important position. If you are sane and didn't get way too hyped up about a month of AB, then he hasn't lost any luster at all. If you're insane and thought he was suddenly a great offensive player, then yeah, I can see you being a little disappointed right now. But you're also insane.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 30, 2009 -> 09:05 PM)
No, I'm saying that he doesn't seem to want to learn from his mistakes. He keeps repeating the same ones.

Pretty much like the entire team for the past several years whenever the count goes 3-2 and they K on a breaking ball off the plate.

QUOTE (Felix @ May 30, 2009 -> 09:06 PM)
If you expect Brian to be an offensive force, you're insane. Fact of the matter is that he's an average offensive player and a very above average defensive player at a very important position. If you are sane and didn't get way too hyped up about a month of AB, then he hasn't lost any luster at all. If you're insane and thought he was suddenly a great offensive player, then yeah, I can see you being a little disappointed right now. But you're also insane.

This.

Plus, I swear to god there is a certain contingent of fans (not knight) who sits there anxiously waiting to go "I told you so!" when he goes 0-4 with a couple of K's.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 30, 2009 -> 09:08 PM)
Pretty much like the entire team for the past several years whenever the count goes 3-2 and they K on a breaking ball off the plate.

So, you're telling me that there's a team-wide hole in everyone's swings?

That's quite a coincedence.

Brian has 4 multi-hit games in his last 8 and that includes an 0-2. Like Felix said, he's not going to be an offensive force, he's just not a polished enough hitter to do so and likely never will be but if he keeps up his current production and remains great in the field he's not going to kill you if you play him everyday.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 30, 2009 -> 09:10 PM)
So, you're telling me that there's a team-wide hole in everyone's swings?

That's quite a coincedence.

No, but Anderson is not the first and won't be the last player who gets fooled by the same thing over and over.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 30, 2009 -> 08:11 PM)
I like to go crazy and burn a sacred cow every now and again.

Mmmm... barbecue.

have you tried White Castle pulled pork sliders? Ironically I love them 10 times more than I love the BK sliders. They are fantastic.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 30, 2009 -> 09:12 PM)
Brian has 4 multi-hit games in his last 8 and that includes an 0-2. Like Felix said, he's not going to be an offensive force, he's just not a polished enough hitter to do so and likely never will be but if he keeps up his current production and remains great in the field he's not going to kill you if you play him everyday.

I know he's been hitting early and recently.

I'm just saying that if he can't make adjustments when everyone knows how to pitch to him, then he shouldn't get the starting job in 2010 if there's a better option out there.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 30, 2009 -> 08:16 PM)
I know he's been hitting early and recently.

I'm just saying that if he can't make adjustments when everyone knows how to pitch to him, then he shouldn't get the starting job in 2010 if there's a better option out there.

Most hitters in this league can't make those adjustments, that's why pitchers with unspectacular stuff still get hitters out. Swinging at a 2 strike breaking ball off the plate is something you're going to see an awful lot. Brian is a bad ball hitter and it could easily work out for him if given an everyday job.