GameThread: White Sox(23-25) vs Royals(23-26) 1:10 CT, WGN

Kyyle23

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 31, 2009 -> 09:21 PM)
What happened?

You mean with the baserunning? Getz hit a line drive to the warning track with the bases loaded, AJ scores, Anderson was being held at 3rd with Fields between 2nd and 3rd. Anderson decides to ignore the sign, goes, and beats the throw home, meanwhile Getz is advancing to 2nd. Fields ends up being stuck because he was waiting for Anderson to tag and doesn't have time to go to 3rd, but he can't go back to 2nd because Getz already advanced so he ends up getting thrown out.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 31, 2009 -> 08:28 PM)
You mean with the baserunning? Getz hit a line drive to the warning track with the bases loaded, AJ scores, Anderson was being held at 3rd with Fields between 2nd and 3rd. Anderson decides to ignore the sign, goes, and beats the throw home, meanwhile Getz is advancing to 2nd. Fields ends up being stuck because he was waiting for Anderson to tag and doesn't have time to go to 3rd, but he can't go back to 2nd because Getz already advanced so he ends up getting thrown out.

Yeah, in the scenario, you gotta be waving in Anderson as soon as you see that ball go over Guillen's head. It'll take a perfect relay, and worst case scenario, you got runners on 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs and a 1 run lead.

However, this year has made me realize how truly bad of a baseball player Jose Guillen is. He gets horrible reads in the OF, never set up properly, and on offense, he never seems to come through in key situations for the Royals.

If I was a GM, I would never have Guillen on my team.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 31, 2009 -> 08:51 PM)
Yeah, in the scenario, you gotta be waving in Anderson as soon as you see that ball go over Guillen's head. It'll take a perfect relay, and worst case scenario, you got runners on 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs and a 1 run lead.

However, this year has made me realize how truly bad of a baseball player Jose Guillen is. He gets horrible reads in the OF, never set up properly, and on offense, he never seems to come through in key situations for the Royals.

If I was a GM, I would never have Guillen on my team.

Well, if you were a GM, you'd have 9 Ryan Sweeneys in your lineup. ;)

That was a big play by Brian running through the stop sign. If we only get one run off a bomb over the right fielder's head ... I am thinking things might have gone to hell after that.

Thank goodness Brian scored. You've got to score a guy from second on a blast like that, although I guess I can see why the runners would hesitate until they were sure. And it did kick to Guillen quickly.

I'm just glad it worked out.

The bottom line I would think is Brian deserves a lot of credit for his baserunning there. Don't know what to think about the 3B coach. The throw did seem to beat him and it was a great slide!

I didn't know he was tagging on the play. I didn't see a replay of where he started on his race home.

I agree with you on your comment. I'm now just saying it was a darn good idea on his part to try to score.

If we don't score the runner from second on a drive off the wall, that is pathetic and we might go on to lose because of the ridiculousness of the situation.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 31, 2009 -> 10:12 PM)
Sorry greg, that was horrible base running by Anderson. With one out, you never, ever plan on tagging unless you're on 3rd base.

It wasn't really tagging though, we're not talking about a sac fly. It was apparent pretty early that the ball wasn't going to be caught, so BA should've been waved around and would've scored easily considering the thing went all the way to the warning track. Holding him up is what caused the out (although in fairness to Cox, I'm not sure where exactly Anderson and AJ were standing when the ball went over Guillen's head).

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 02:29 AM)
It wasn't really tagging though, we're not talking about a sac fly. It was apparent pretty early that the ball wasn't going to be caught, so BA should've been waved around and would've scored easily considering the thing went all the way to the warning track. Holding him up is what caused the out (although in fairness to Cox, I'm not sure where exactly Anderson and AJ were standing when the ball went over Guillen's head).

Anderson went back to 2nd on contact

Anderson is pretty speedy if he could scoot home that quickly from second once the ball landed over Guillen's head. My guess is we got lucky on that play. We had a lot of luck that series.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 31, 2009 -> 09:29 PM)

Guillen took got a poor read on it and it was a catchable ball. Not saying he would have caught it, but it was catchable. So, if your BA and Fields, you gotta go half way on that, and Pierzynski needs to tag.

Also, on the play with Pods, shouldn't Cox have been yelling tag to Pods? Either this team has no respect for Cox, or we need a different 3rd base coach.

I like Cox though, seems like a great guy to have in the dugout. EDIT: Holy s***, he's only 53 years old. He looks like he is close to 70.

Edited by BearSox