6/1 Games

flavum

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 09:14 PM)
I'm not worried about his bat, I am worried about the nine errors he has already in a much slower game at the minor league level.

Errors happen. I'm not too worried about it. It's not like he's on pace for 40-50 of them.

Now, if he plays 3B exclusively and he's just plain bad, then we have a problem.

Let me ask this...who do people think is a better hitter in the majors right now, Slayer or Fields? As much as I want Fields to be our 3rd baseman for the next 5 years, it really seems like it is Beckham. His 3 hit game against Bonderman is extremely promising.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 09:32 PM)
Let me ask this...who do people think is a better hitter in the majors right now, Slayer or Fields? As much as I want Fields to be our 3rd baseman for the next 5 years, it really seems like it is Beckham. His 3 hit game against Bonderman is extremely promising.

Beckham is clearly the superior player. First, his contact rate is much better, Two, his leadership will be huge. And three, Slayer has got a nice, compact swing whereas Fields looks like he is in a 16-inch softball game. Hawk now talking about Fields as a potential 30/30 guy, yeah right. If he is a 30/30 guy, Jordan Danks is a 50/50 guy.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Jon Link had another great outing for Charlotte. 2 inn, 3 hits, 0 runs, 0 BB and 3 Ks. If Whisler struggles, I think his time in AAA might be over. I know it's great to have two lefties, but the best pitcher should be in the majors and Link looks like that right now.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 09:24 PM)
Errors happen. I'm not too worried about it. It's not like he's on pace for 40-50 of them.

Now, if he plays 3B exclusively and he's just plain bad, then we have a problem.

The problem is that we don't have the most steady defensive team out there already, and a few of our pitchers don't pitch over mistakes well.

And with 9 errors that would put him on pace for about the low thirties over a full 162 games

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 10:04 PM)
The problem is that we don't have the most steady defensive team out there already, and a few of our pitchers don't pitch over mistakes well.

And with 9 errors that would put him on pace for about the low thirties over a full 162 games

Our division winning team made 33 errors at 3B last year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 08:04 PM)

The White Sox have made 1 error in their last 10 games IIRC.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 10:20 PM)
does anyone have a solid scouting report on link? also I can't wait for the future.

Fastball (90-92mph) with sink; slider; and changeup. All 3 are solid pitches. Good K/9 of over 10 last year; around 9.0 for his career. The slider is his strikeout pitch. According to Baseball America, it's the best slider of any Sox prospect.

Some concerns about his control. Not bad problems, just enough to raise questions about MLB potential. BB/9 around 4.3 last year. In his minor league career though, it's right at around 3.0 which is respectable. Down to 3.3 this year.

Reputation of having a closer-type personality... thrives on pressure. He was selected as the top reliever in the Southern League in 2008.

Personally... I like the fact he has 3 good pitches. I think that'll earn him a shot. His control will determine how long he keeps it.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 10:50 PM)
Fastball (90-92mph) with sink; slider; and changeup. All 3 are solid pitches. Good K/9 of over 10 last year; around 9.0 for his career. The slider is his strikeout pitch. According to Baseball America, it's the best slider of any Sox prospect.

Some concerns about his control. Not bad problems, just enough to raise questions about MLB potential. BB/9 around 4.3 last year. In his minor league career though, it's right at around 3.0 which is respectable. Down to 3.3 this year.

Reputation of having a closer-type personality... thrives on pressure. He was selected as the top reliever in the Southern League in 2008.

Personally... I like the fact he has 3 good pitches. I think that'll earn him a shot. His control will determine how long he keeps it.

thanks

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 07:32 PM)
Ouch. Kanny roughs up a Mizzou guy and someone I interviewed once, Rick Zagone. Had great numbers going into today's start.

I love Zagone as a Major League lefty, but out of the pen. It's good to see him doing what a college starter should do in low A.