Conan show thread

Princess Dye

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am admitted Letterman fan, but I do like Conan as well. But the first few shows, Conan's monologue has been downright bad. Is it me or do others think that as well? Conan's skill has always been his skits and outrageousness that he is willing to do while Letterman is probably the best in the biz at the interview and quick wit, so I know it's tough comparing the two, but Letterman's monologue is much better. Also, I know a lot is the writers, but Letterman seems to deliver better as well.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 05:46 PM)
I am admitted Letterman fan, but I do like Conan as well. But the first few shows, Conan's monologue has been downright bad. Is it me or do others think that as well? Conan's skill has always been his skits and outrageousness that he is willing to do while Letterman is probably the best in the biz at the interview and quick wit, so I know it's tough comparing the two, but Letterman's monologue is much better. Also, I know a lot is the writers, but Letterman seems to deliver better as well.

I have never been a fan of Lettermans so it probably isn't fair for me to compare the two, but I just find Letterman very boring and bland.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 06:00 PM)
I have never been a fan of Lettermans so it probably isn't fair for me to compare the two, but I just find Letterman very boring and bland.

You really have to get used to him. I could definitely see how he comes off that way if you just watch once or twice. But I am sure that is the same with all the talk show hosts. My dad watched Letterman, so I naturally followed. Guess it's loyalty to the guy you start with.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 06:07 PM)
You really have to get used to him. I could definitely see how he comes off that way if you just watch once or twice. But I am sure that is the same with all the talk show hosts. My dad watched Letterman, so I naturally followed. Guess it's loyalty to the guy you start with.

You may be right about that. Conan is generally the only late night talk show host my family has watched with any regularity.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 11:38 PM)
Did anyone else find the whole David Duchovny experience uncomfortable to watch?

he's always kind of odd on talk shows and I think last night he played it up a little too much. Watch the episodes of Larry Sanders when he's on, obvously it's fictional, but I heard it's a playoff of his real personality.

I am a big Conan fan. His show so far looks like the same old Conan show to me, except an hour earlier and with a bigger budget. The one negative I've noticed is they are struggling to make a natural transition to getting Andy Richter back into the mix and overall flow of the show outside of being announcer, but I think they will figure that out. It's a bit difficult for me because I am a David Letterman fan (I didn't like Jay Leno AT ALL), but Letterman lost a viewer in me because Conan is the best.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 01:10 PM)
the wang in mouth joke was pretty funny.

What was better was the drinking of the water afterwards. I don't know why, but that was a great exclamation on the joke.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 06:46 PM)

Conan's monologues were never good. There's a reason there was a five joke maximum on the Late Night show. His monologue is actually a lot closer to Carson's than anyone we've seen in a while in that, it was a lot of bad jokes followed by a lot of inside baseball. I'm kinda lovin it actually.

Actually, the greatest joke he's done that I've seen so far was the "children born during the 16 years of Late Night" joke. It was so uncomfortable and sorta subtle....

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 09:49 AM)
Norm Mcdonald was hysterical last night. That's the funniest I've seen him in a long time. the last I saw him was on a Comedy Central roast and I think he was waisted... he was really bad. Last night was classic Mcdonald. That 9001 dudes was awesome.

If you're referring to the Bob Saget roast, you couldn't be more wrong. He was sober and intentionally did very tame jokes. It was hilarious.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 10:55 AM)
If you're referring to the Bob Saget roast, you couldn't be more wrong. He was sober and intentionally did very tame jokes. It was hilarious.

I agree, it was funny, but if people thought he was off a little it's because Artie Lange was supposed to be there, didn't show up and there were strong rumors that he was dead. Norm and Artie are good friends, Bob Saget was under the same impression, he told the story on Stern's show a few months back.

Edited by SoxFan562004