Tejada Not Oswalt More Logical Target

Marty34

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 10:16 AM)
What if instead of going after a pitcher, KW is trying to acquire a dynamic young outfielder, and will go after Pence with a package of Poreda, Flowers, etc?

Have to give up too much for Pence, wouldn't be able to get an arm in July.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 10:25 AM)
He'd be getting Pence for the next 4 years...I don't think KW's going to give up on our young prospects for a one-year rental.

They have who they think is their dynamic young OF'er, Danks. Pence would be a luxury, one that would most certainly cost Beckham or Danks.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 08:16 AM)
What if instead of going after a pitcher, KW is trying to acquire a dynamic young outfielder, and will go after Pence with a package of Poreda, Flowers, etc?

Pence is the exact name I was thinking. That said, I don't see the Astros giving him up, but I'd definately send a ton of spects for Pence.

Pence was the deal breaker that Kenny insisted be in the Garland deal, which is why it fell apart. It wouldn't surprise me if he was sniffing around a guy like that.

remember KW loved pence back in the day....IIRC when the astros traded hirsch and buccholz to the Rockies for Jennings the guy they really wanted was Garland and KW wanted Hirsch buccholz and Pence and the astros said no

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
Pence was the deal breaker that Kenny insisted be in the Garland deal, which is why it fell apart. It wouldn't surprise me if he was sniffing around a guy like that.

bastard beat me to it

I said that in the Oswalt thread, page 3. This is an easy way to rebuild a farm system and is a guy KW as been looking for, for years.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 09:11 AM)
I thought he was only adequate defensively last year at second too. Though I will say, his arm did allow them to turn a lot of DP's they otherwise would not have, that was a big plus.

Well, we can debate how good he's been at SS (considering he's in his first year in MLB at the position, and played mostly OF in Cuba, IMHO he's doing pretty darn well), but my main point is that he's currently the best defensive SS on out team, and in our organization.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 02:33 PM)
Why would the Sox have a scout following the Astros when Oswalt isn't pitching? An IF of Konerko, Ramirez, Beckham, and Tejada would be an impressive upgrade. Question is what would it take to get Tejada?

I might have agreed with you a couple years ago, but not now. Ramirez is getting raves about his play at SS and Getz handles the glove well as does Nix. I am thinking Beckham fits in either at 2B or 3B soon. Tejada costs too much. Not that he isn't agood ball player it's just we don;t have to spend that kind of money

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)
MADNESS???

Sparta.gif

Yes, you don't put a lesser defensive player in the most important defensive position, unless you absolutely have to.