Obama Book Insight

jasonxctf

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 06:31 PM)
Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't understand it the first 97,000 you've mentioned it.

I mentioned it? I am only repeating the ideas of almost every one of your posts.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 07:34 PM)
I mentioned it? I am only repeating the ideas of almost every one of your posts.

Do we read the same poster? BigSqwert is from the Huffpo/Kos, dyed-in-the-wool-progressive mold where they b**** at Obama for not prosecuting the Bush administration, leaving troops in Iraq until further notice, holding back the Abu Gharib photos, re-opening tribunals for terrorists, and other things where Obama is at odds with the base.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 07:53 PM)
Do we read the same poster? BigSqwert is from the Huffpo/Kos, dyed-in-the-wool-progressive mold where they b**** at Obama for not prosecuting the Bush administration, leaving troops in Iraq until further notice, holding back the Abu Gharib photos, re-opening tribunals for terrorists, and other things where Obama is at odds with the base.

Is Obama really against those things, or does he know that he will get his balls plastered on a wall somewhere down the road for it?

What is interesting is that he puts little trial balloons out there to appease these "Huffpo/Kos, dyed-in-the-wool-progressive mold" types until he realizes he can't pull off the prosecuting of the Bush administration, leaving troops in Iraq until further notice, holding back the Abu Gharib photos, re-opening tribunals for terrorists, etc. and then he quietly pulls the "progressive stance" back off the table when he realizes that in reality appeasing these folks on their stances will get him in deep s***.

And still, all that s*** is the previous administration's fault, which we hear over and over and over and over and over (I could type this to infinity) from Obama himself, which is classless in and of itself.

Whatever. I guess this is all the same posts over and over and there's nothing to be learned from it.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 02:03 PM)
That’s not the question here, because we both know the answer is that no such president has ever been completely unscripted. The really “issue” (if there is one at all) is has their ever been a president in history who has had the teleprompter issue loom as large as it has during his political career then Barack Obama? The answer is no.

What is the issue with Obama and teleprompters? I missed this one.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 05:29 PM)
No - he's perfect though. The right man at the right time to fix all that ails our country.

Everything that's f***ed up is about the past administration; everything about today and tomorrow will be fixed by "the best president ever".

And that is perhaps the magic of Obama. Even a ardent GOP supporter sees how great Obama will be.

IIRC McCain was mentioned as a possible Kerry running mate. McCain enjoyed support on both sides of the aisle. I can believe the story. But I had a much different take. I saw it as more friendly bolstering, than some intimidation thing. I really do not think that Biden could have intimidated McCain at all.

QUOTE (KipWellsFan @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 09:07 PM)
Oh, I get it... who cares.

Well look at all the attention it grabbed here.

I find it funny that after 3 or 4 years of Dems doing it to Bush for seemingly anything under the sun, that little things like this become such nuisances to them now. For the record, I don't care about the teleprompter thing at all, I just find humor and irony in the responses that it garners when mentioned.

The whole teleprompter thing wouldn't have gotten nearly as much traction if it wasn't for his whole speaking ability aura. It has been turned into such an important part of what supposedly got him elected President, and it turns out that it is all predicated on a machine feeding it all to him. He has no ability to speak on his own, only to regurgitate what he is told. At that point, just send the machine out there, and I will just judge it instead.

I know it won't change anything to those who like him, and it won't change anything to those who don't, just like anything else to do with Obama.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 09:34 AM)
The whole teleprompter thing wouldn't have gotten nearly as much traction if it wasn't for his whole speaking ability aura. It has been turned into such an important part of what supposedly got him elected President, and it turns out that it is all predicated on a machine feeding it all to him. He has no ability to speak on his own, only to regurgitate what he is told. At that point, just send the machine out there, and I will just judge it instead.

I know it won't change anything to those who like him, and it won't change anything to those who don't, just like anything else in politics.

fixed

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 09:41 AM)
Laugh if you like, but the guy starts stammering like Bush when the prompter is gone. Its why he doesn't go anywhere with out it.

I'm not one who bristles when people make fun of him (hell, I do it too) but you act like he's mentally retarded. Haven't you ever seen him do a press conference or take questions? He sounds the same as anyone else. He just says "uuhhhh" and "aaaand" a lot. It's not like he is at a complete loss for words or starts blathering out incoherent sentence fragments like a certain governor who shall remain nameless.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 08:41 AM)
Laugh if you like, but the guy starts stammering like Bush when the prompter is gone. Its why he doesn't go anywhere with out it.

Like Bush? Wow. I couldn't think of a worse analogy. Obama still sounds more intelligent and coherent when off the cuff than 95% of America.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 08:54 AM)
Like Bush? Wow. I couldn't think of a worse analogy. Obama still sounds more intelligent and coherent when off the cuff than 95% of America.

Sure, if you think stammering, saying "uhh" 50 times, and using about 5 words per minute is "intelligent."

I think Obama is incredibly smart, but he's not a smooth public speaker when he has to speak unprepared. I'm not sure how people can deny that. Is he better than the majority of America? Absolutely. But I don't think the point of him being lost without his prompter is such a bad one. Watch the Brian Williams interview for a recent example.

Edit: I'd also add that Clinton was one of the best off-the-cuff speakers we've seen in a while. There's a guy that sounded prepared and smooth no matter where he was and what he was speaking about.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 08:41 AM)

I always kind of liked Bush speeches during his first term. It seems like sometime during his second term that it broke bad for him.

And I do a lot of public speaking and always have note cards with me. If I had the choice to have a prompter, I would. I'd be more upset about a President that didn't embrace technology/

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 11:49 PM)
I always kind of liked Bush speeches during his first term. It seems like sometime during his second term that it broke bad for him.

And I do a lot of public speaking and always have note cards with me. If I had the choice to have a prompter, I would. I'd be more upset about a President that didn't embrace technology/

I have done a fair amount of public speaking and ran for office. I have never once written a speech. I'll write some notes once in a while before hand, but I don't refer to them during the speech. Its just not my thing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
I have done a fair amount of public speaking and ran for office. I have never once written a speech. I'll write some notes once in a while before hand, but I don't refer to them during the speech. Its just not my thing.

You would if you had a packed schedule and had professional speechwriters to do it for you.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 7, 2009 -> 12:55 PM)
You would if you had a packed schedule and had professional speechwriters to do it for you.

Actually I wouldn't. I hate prepared speeches. They slow me down and I spend more time reading than talking to the crowd. I hate having to follow a written speech.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2009 -> 02:03 PM)
Actually I wouldn't. I hate prepared speeches. They slow me down and I spend more time reading than talking to the crowd. I hate having to follow a written speech.

Eh if you're talking to a local crowd that's probably a lot different than being on TV. I imagine being in national politics is a lot different, much more coaching and image management.

You guys knock Rush Limbaugh - he gave that CPAC speech without one note or telepromter, and it was pretty coherent.

Why is this significant? My theory is that if you are speaking what you truely believe, you don't have to rehearse s*** ad naseum and read off of a telepromter to ensure every word is what you need it to be to make it sound like you know what you're talking about.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 7, 2009 -> 01:22 PM)
You guys knock Rush Limbaugh - he gave that CPAC speech without one note or telepromter, and it was pretty coherent.

Why is this significant? My theory is that if you are speaking what you truely believe, you don't have to rehearse s*** ad naseum and read off of a telepromter to ensure every word is what you need it to be to make it sound like you know what you're talking about.

When the POTUS is speaking there is a great deal of interest world wide. Therefore every word, every word, has to be exactly perfect. Countries all over the globe pour over those looking for the exact meaning. I do not want any POTUS speaking off the cuff if possible.

And how many times has Rush given that speech? How much time did he have to prepare? I have three or four speeches in my back pocket I can give without notes. How many other speeches, on different topics, has Rush given in that same time frame? I do not think it is a fair comparison. And giving speeches is what Rush does for a living. Certainly Obama gives many, but it isn't something he does 4 hours per day.

We have a President that embraces technology to make his life easier, and improves the quality of his work. This seems like such a silly debate. I wonder if someone criticized Cesar for scribbling down notes on papyrus? What's next criticizing him for using a laptop?