Eating some crow part II

Greg Hibbard

I'm one of Floyd's biggest detractors. I'm simply at a loss for words looking at his recent starts. All I can say is I was obviously way off base and way quick to pile on when he started so badly. It's like night and day since the beginning of May. Whatever amends I need to make I'd make them here.

Floyd truly is a gamer. He's a major league caliber starter and he's definitely able to be at least a capable pitcher. Whether or not he'll be consistent is another story.

Also, kudos to O. Guillen and KW for keeping this team's wits about them. They are a vet club, but 7 games under really early has a way of spiralling out of control.

For as badly as this team has played at times, for as bad as some of the starting pitching has been, and considering the injuries, to be .500 at this point is a freaking miracle.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 04:33 PM)
I'm one of Floyd's biggest detractors. I'm simply at a loss for words looking at his recent starts. All I can say is I was obviously way off base and way quick to pile on when he started so badly. It's like night and day since the beginning of May. Whatever amends I need to make I'd make them here.

Floyd truly is a gamer. He's a major league caliber starter and he's definitely able to be at least a capable pitcher. Whether or not he'll be consistent is another story.

Also, kudos to O. Guillen and KW for keeping this team's wits about them. They are a vet club, but 7 games under really early has a way of spiralling out of control.

For as badly as this team has played at times, for as bad as some of the starting pitching has been, and considering the injuries, to be .500 at this point is a freaking miracle.

if you were truly at a loss for words this would be a much shorter post.

just sayin'.

:gosox1:

I ate crow on Floyd early last year. After watching him in ST 2007 I thought there is no way this kid will ever be mentally capable of pitching in the bigs. I was very, very wrong and I haven't doubted him since, even after his horrendous start this year.

I stopped doubting Kenny a long time ago and aside from disagreeing with his reasoning for certain moves, I actually don't think I have ever doubted him. He wants to win.

I will always doubt Ozzie when it comes to Brian Anderson.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 10:36 AM)
There are a couple others here who need to eat some crow on Floyd but will most likely never admit it. Because they still will say he sucks unless he wins 20 with a sub 3 ERA.

Like the first 2 pages of the game thread saying he has no balls?

He had a mechanical flaw and still does at times, but he is working it out. The guy can pitch and will only get better as his motion becomes his own.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 10:39 AM)
I will always doubt Ozzie when it comes to Brian Anderson.

Thats another thing, all the comments in the game thread about how dumb Ozzie is without ever knowing that he sat Brian for most of the game because he has been suffering from the flu.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 10:45 AM)
Thats another thing, all the comments in the game thread about how dumb Ozzie is without ever knowing that he sat Brian for most of the game because he has been suffering from the flu.

THAT'S NOT AN EXCUSE!!!

I'm more upset with Danks right now, overall, than Floyd

Floyd's inability to pitch out of the stretch, his inability to hold runners and inability to successfully use a slide step without having to be coached from the dugout, concern me a bit.

Danks' problems are much more concerning to me, however, as his seem to be release point-related, which he hasn't been able to find in his last 3-4 starts

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 10:45 AM)

You can only kick a dog in the stomach so many times before it either bites you or s***s all over the floor whenever you walk into the room.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)

or the fact that lefties are significantly better against Cahill than righties?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 10:07 AM)
or the fact that lefties are significantly better against Cahill than righties?

Exactly. I love Brian Anderson as much as the next guy, but Cahill would have eaten him alive. I can see those low-and-away sliders, and the hitched swing-and-miss now.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 11:03 AM)
I'm more upset with Danks right now, overall, than Floyd

Floyd's inability to pitch out of the stretch, his inability to hold runners and inability to successfully use a slide step without having to be coached from the dugout, concern me a bit.

Danks' problems are much more concerning to me, however, as his seem to be release point-related, which he hasn't been able to find in his last 3-4 starts

Danks will be fine. I fully expect him to bounce back which will make our staff quite nasty!

KW's first couple of years as GM were kind of rough, and I was not a big fan. However, KW is both a gunslinger and a hard worker and you have to tip your hat to him. He hung in there and got much better. He did what Frank Lane, Ed Short, Roland Hemond and Larry Himes, all top notch GMs were not able to do. I like Ozzie as a motivator and support his overall philosophy on how to play White Sox baseball. Unfortunately for him, he has not usually had the personnel to play his style of baseball. When he did in 05 the results were magical for long suffering Sox fans. I'll never be totally enamored with his handling of pitchers, lineup changes, and game day decisions. Al Lopez and Chuck Tanner were better game day managers, but they never won a WS for the Sox, although Tanner got a ring with the Pirates in 79. As for Gavin Floyd, I had to be one of his biggest detractors. The same with Clayton Richard. May they both continue to prove me wrong. I'd much rather be wrong about guys and see the team play well and win.

I'll set myself up for some future crow-eating (or crowing)...

Kenny Williams said you don't really know what you've got until you've played 60 games, right?

Well... I predict... on June the morning of June 12th... the day after we play game #60... the Chicago White Sox will be in 1st place in the Central.

I have my crow pie recipes all ready just in case... but I feel pretty good about my prediction.

I never bashed on Gavin.

KW? I dunno, still not that big a fan.

Ozzie? Don't see where there's any crow to eat. I like his personality, but nothing changes the fact he can be a really clueless manager quite often.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)
Ozzie? Don't see where there's any crow to eat. I like his personality, but nothing changes the fact he can be a really clueless manager quite often.

I think he's got to get some credit for keeping this team's head together when they were 7 under

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 10:36 AM)
There are a couple others here who need to eat some crow on Floyd but will most likely never admit it. Because they still will say he sucks unless he wins 20 with a sub 3 ERA.

Personally, I'd rather wait to see how the season as a whole goes rather than making snap judgments on him after every start he has. That's just me though.

If, at the end of the season his numbers are similar to where they were last year, then I'll admit that I've been wrong about thinking he's a middle/back of the rotation guy. There's no point in trying to call people out about their opinions of him after a couple of starts though, especially since his ERA is still 5.75 this year...

Edited by Felix

I think he's got to get some credit for keeping this team's head together when they were 7 under

Yeah, but as I said, that has more to do with his personality, not his in-game managing skills (or major lack of).

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 03:19 PM)

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 05:42 PM)
Yeah, but as I said, that has more to do with his personality, not his in-game managing skills (or major lack of).

Yeah I'm with this, that kind of thing is a different category of managing. There is no excuse whatsoever for doing things like calling a hit and run with Lillibridge and his .180 batting average or making Alexei bunt for no reason in the first inning while he's hot. He does this stuff routinely.