What politicians do you like? Or have you liked?

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The list of ones I don't like is a lot longer than the ones I do. The ones in office today are for the most part abysmal. While I'm typing this I'm trying real hard to remember some names from the past or the present more to my liking. I'm still typing. OK

Andrew Jackson

James K Polk

Charles Augustus Lindbergh (father of the aviator)

Robert Taft

Barry Goldwater

Ron Paul

Gustav Streseman

Konrad Adenauer

Although not in agreement with his political philosophy I agree with the late British historian AJP Taylor, a brilliant and quirky iconclast who felt that history was made for the most part by towering figures of stupidity rather than of genius.

Edited by SI1020

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 06:19 PM)
I never view history or historical figures totally from the moral prism of today. If more Presidents had been like Andrew Jackson there we be no Federal Reserve Bank and with it the incessant boom and bus cycles in the economy. This one having pushed the world to the brink of a financial catastrophe.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 01:29 PM)
I never view history or historical figures totally from the moral prism of today. If more Presidents had been like Andrew Jackson there we be no Federal Reserve Bank and with it the incessant boom and bus cycles in the economy. This one having pushed the world to the brink of a financial catastrophe.

Tell that to the Native Americans slaughtered because of his policy. Somehow I doubt they'd care about economic cycles of today.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 07:41 PM)
Tell that to the Native Americans slaughtered because of his policy. Somehow I doubt they'd care about economic cycles of today.
Of course I bow to your obvious moral superiority. Still I wonder who said the following.

"I hate Indians. They are a beastly people with a beastly religion."

"No stronger retrograde force exists in the world. Far from being moribund, Mohammedanism is a militant and proselytizing faith."

"I do not understand this squeamishness about the use of gas. We have definitely adopted the position at the Peace Conference of arguing in favour of the retention of gas as a permanent method of warfare. It is sheer affectation to lacerate a man with the poisonous fragment of a bursting shell and to boggle at making his eyes water by means of lachrymatory gas. I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against uncivilised tribes."

"One may dislike Hitler's system and yet admire his patriotic achievement. If our country were defeated, I hope we should find a champion as indomitable to restore our courage and lead us back to our place among the nations."

What famous historical figure said this?

“We believe as much in the purity of race as we think they do, only we believe that they would best serve these interests, which are as dear to us as to them, by advocating the purity of all races, and not one alone. We believe also that the white race of South Africa should be the predominating race.”

How about this?

"I am not, nor have I ever been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races"

Try saying something like this today and see how long your political career lasts.

"The Jews, I find, are very, very selfish. They care not how many Estonians, Latvians, Finns, Poles, Yugoslavs or Greeks get murdered or mistreated as D(isplaced) P(ersons) as long as the Jews get special treatment. ...

Despite those harsh words the man responsible for this diary entry is still looked on by most as a hero to Israel. Some people are able to approach historical events and historical figures in more than a one dimensional manner. These are just quotes. I could have used many actual events, but who reads long posts on the internet or really goes to message boards to actually learn? Back to Andrew Jackson. Unless you are a Seminole or some other person of native ancestry when are you going to return to Europe, Africa, Asia or wherever it is your ancestors came from?

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 01:29 PM)

Because the world didn't have boom or bust cycles before the National Bank was set up by Jackson?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
Because the world didn't have boom or bust cycles before the National Bank was set up by Jackson?

I must be reading this wrong, Jackson hated the idea of a national bank. Actually to the point he kinda single-handedly caused an economic crisis.

I forget how that happened. Didn't Congress go around Jackson to set up the charter? Or did it happen after he was out of office?

And yeah... boom and bust cycles happen. With or without the Fed.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 07:44 PM)
Sigh. What can I say in a hopeless cause? If you don't know all the damage the Fed has caused, with it's malovelent hand in almost every economic downturn since it's inception, then pass me the kool ade I guess. I'm with Ron Paul. Audit it and then get rid of it. Yeah I know old Andy Jackson was a cantankerous fighter. I like Geronimo, Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull too. Can I at least make it to purgatory? If you want I could outline in brief detail the dirty deeds of the Fed since the 74-75 recession. I don't really believe people come to this forum to learn, but rather to flame each other. Oh wait. You live in NW Indiana right? You should definitely know better then. Edited by SI1020

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
I don't really believe people come to this forum to learn, but rather to flame each other.

You don't post here enough to make sweeping generalizations like that.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)
Sigh. What can I say in a hopeless cause. If you don't know all the damage the Fed has caused, with it's malovelent hand in almost every economic downturn since it's inception, then pass me the kool ade I guess. I'm with Ron Paul. Audit it and then get rid of it. Yeah I know old Andy Jackson was a cantankerous fighter. I like Geronimo, Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull too. Can I at least make it to purgatory? If you want I could outline in brief detail the dirty deeds of the Fed since the 74-75 recession. I don't really believe people come to this forum to learn, but rather to flame each other. Oh wait. You live in NW Indiana right? You should definitely know better then.

Wait, you want to try to tell me that the Fed was responsible for the crash of the economy in NW IN? I know exactly what the problem is here. I grew up in it, and it had nothing to do with a bank. It was a group of labor that overpriced itself in a world-wide market place, and then refused to shop the same sorts of products and services. It doesn't take a big leap of faith to understand it.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)
Sigh. What can I say in a hopeless cause. If you don't know all the damage the Fed has caused, with it's malovelent hand in almost every economic downturn since it's inception, then pass me the kool ade I guess. I'm with Ron Paul. Audit it and then get rid of it. Yeah I know old Andy Jackson was a cantankerous fighter. I like Geronimo, Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull too. Can I at least make it to purgatory? If you want I could outline in brief detail the dirty deeds of the Fed since the 74-75 recession. I don't really believe people come to this forum to learn, but rather to flame each other. Oh wait. You live in NW Indiana right? You should definitely know better then.

Some people have discussions here and learn. Others make posts that don't bother trying.

Jackson is a fascinating figure in history, in that he is probably the strongest combination of both good and bad I think we've ever gotten from a single President. He broke all kinds of barriers and royal tendencies that needed to be broken, which is great. He was also mildly psychotic at times, and he had a big hand in pushing an entire culture to its virtual extinction. So for anyone to simply make it as if he was great because he was against the national bank is a pretty narrow view.

And there is no way you can say the Fed is the progenetor of boom and bust cycles, which existed (and in worse amplification) well before the Fed was doing much, and still happen with the Fed being only a PART of both the good and bad of those cycles.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 06:56 PM)
Wait, you want to try to tell me that the Fed was responsible for the crash of the economy in NW IN? I know exactly what the problem is here. I grew up in it, and it had nothing to do with a bank. It was a group of labor that overpriced itself in a world-wide market place, and then refused to shop the same sorts of products and services. It doesn't take a big leap of faith to understand it.
You're right. That's part of it. But only part of it. John Hoerr's book The Wolf Finally Came is a good comprehensive look at what happend to the steel industry in the 80s. It doesn't absolve labor. At the same time to make the sweeping generalization you did is not accurate either. The Fed has much more economic clout and power than any President. When you control the money supply and interest rates then you have life and death power over the economy. It doesn't take a big leap of faith to understand that either. Look, I think you're a great long time Sox fan with a positive outlook on life and the Sox. You're not going to shake me off of over thirty years of research and observation.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 06:56 PM)
You don't post here enough to make sweeping generalizations like that.
You're absolutely right. That was a shoot from the hip statement to make, and you shouldn't do that. Although I posted here when this place was just soxnet.net (man do I miss those days) I have had long absences in the interim.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)
You're absolutely right. That was a shoot from the hip statement to make, and you shouldn't do that. Although I posted here when this place was just soxnet.net (man do I miss those days) I have had long absences in the interim.

:cheers We do have posters in this forum who rant and lecture but we have people who actually do come here to learn things too.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)
You're right. That's part of it. But only part of it. John Hoerr's book The Wolf Finally Came is a good comprehensive look at what happend to the steel industry in the 80s. It doesn't absolve labor. At the same time to make the sweeping generalization you did is not accurate either. The Fed has much more economic clout and power than any President. When you control the money supply and interest rates then you have life and death power over the economy. It doesn't take a big leap of faith to understand that either. Look, I think you're a great long time Sox fan with a positive outlook on life and the Sox. You're not going to shake me off of over thirty years of research and observation.

I never argued the power of the Fed, nor did I say that a quick explanation was the end all be all of the economic history of northwest Indiana. I am also smart enough to realize that they do not have anywhere near the complete control of the economy that the conspiratilists would have you believe. Especially in this day and age, it had become less and less, that is until the Obama administration showed up and gave the government absolute power over just about everything.

I don't think you are going to shake me off of thirty years of research and observation either, especially with an economics degree to back up my understanding of how the economic sector actually works.