Barons stats

scenario

Who is leading the Barons in OPS?

It's a virtual tie between Flowers (.912) and Retherford (.911) who check in at #4 and #5 in the league respectively.

Who is #8 in the entire Southern League in OPS?

This will surprise some people...

David Cook :o

Cook now has an .882 OPS which is 20 points higher than Beckham's OPS in Birmingham.

What got him there after a horrible start? A serious hot streak: a .344 batting average with 5 homeruns in the last 10 games...

Cook now leads the Barons with 10 home runs.

Others

- Stephan Gartrell checks in at 9th in the league with an .875

- Brandon Allen is 17th with an .831

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)
I still find it weird that Cook and McCulloch haven't been promoted. Both for (better or worse) have proven that they have reached their potential in AA, and need to make way for younger players.

Trying to make sure the Barons reach the playoffs perhaps?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 03:50 PM)
Trying to make sure the Barons reach the playoffs perhaps?

Would the team get that much worse if they called up Morel or Marrero and Charles Shirek? I certainly don't want to rush these kids, but i wouldn't want to impede their development for a 28 year old Of and a bust of a 1st round pick

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 04:31 PM)
Would the team get that much worse if they called up Morel or Marrero and Charles Shirek? I certainly don't want to rush these kids, but i wouldn't want to impede their development for a 28 year old Of and a bust of a 1st round pick

Where would Morel play?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 01:59 PM)
I still find it weird that Cook and McCulloch haven't been promoted. Both for (better or worse) have proven that they have reached their potential in AA, and need to make way for younger players.

I'm stunned that David Cook is not in AAA. I just don't get it. Are Michael Restovich, Brian Myrow or Daryle Ward that essential?

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 05:05 PM)
Where would Morel play?

SS, if we really wanted to call him up. Because of his bat being such a question mark, him showing his ability to play multiple positions would only help him.

I wonder who is next to go up to Charlotte though. I don't expect to see Contreras up on the big league roster for more than one start unless he shows big time improvements. If Contreras does go back down to AAA, Viciedo might make sense to promote if he keeps improving. He'll have a Cuban friend with him. Allen is close to getting a promotion as well, as he's done nothing but get better each year.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 11:58 PM)
SS, if we really wanted to call him up. Because of his bat being such a question mark, him showing his ability to play multiple positions would only help him.

I wonder who is next to go up to Charlotte though. I don't expect to see Contreras up on the big league roster for more than one start unless he shows big time improvements. If Contreras does go back down to AAA, Viciedo might make sense to promote if he keeps improving. He'll have a Cuban friend with him. Allen is close to getting a promotion as well, as he's done nothing but get better each year.

Sounds like a plan to me, I'd at least like to see if he could play 2B due to the aforementioned questions regarding his bat.