Article on the decline of baseball card collecting

smalls2598

i stopped collecting in 2005 when I moved. Didnt have the extra income to blow on packs and stuff anymore. Still have them all, a whole room downstairs dedicated to the cards and all things White Sox. Topps sets from 1976 thru 2008, about 20 different sets each from Fleer, Donruss etc (all the over-produced sets from late 80's to mid 90's) and some of the higher end stuff, but not alot. I couldnt bring myself to spend that much on a pack. Everyone is right, they killed it themsleves by having 60 different sets for each brand. And MLB didnt help either by liscensing other companies to produce cards as well. I still look at mine sometimes. i have a display case that has 30, 2001 Topps Gold Frank Thomas cards in it (they only made 2001 of them, and I actually have 41) and 20, 2002 Topps Gold Frank Thomas cards (made 2002, I have 25 total of those) on the wall in the room, so I see them often. I also didnt do it to make money, I just like having them.

I stopped when I got out of high school. If it weren't for the damned Steroid Era, I could probably make a mint off all the cards I have down there. Rookie cards for Canseco, McGwire, etc..

Still have Griffeys, Hurt's, F*ck Face, etc...

The card companies got greedy and charged what were 50 cents to $2.00 and $3.00 and up on a pack of cards most people, kids especially said the hell with it I will spend my money on something else! I loved collecting and trading cards in early 80's I traded a 1974 Hank Aaron about 15 times before I decided to keep it. :gosoxretro:

Didn't the card companies saturate the market around that time? I remember when it was Topps, Fleer, and Donruss, or something like that, and there was one normal card and maybe an All-Star card of a player. Then Upper Deck came in and all of a sudden you had all these new types of cards. I stopped collecting around 1990-91.

The only good thing is if you are a collector or looking to get back into it, you should be able to get some nice vintage cards pretty cheap.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 02:14 PM)
My story is about the same as the author's...I stopped when all hell broke loose and there were 40 million kinds of cards to buy.

I have an assload of Frank and Sammy rookies.

Yeah my story is the same too. All of the sudden all sorts of special Fleer and Upper Deck packs came out that were worth a lot more than the basic cards were. I never liked all the extra graphics in the background either. I causually buy cards now, I've been doing so the past 2 years. I bet I only have a few baseball cards from 1998-2006. It is sad because cards in general started to become a joke to me, and maybe it was because I was getting older, but I think it was mostly because of all the different types of cards out there.