Ozzie likes willingness to deal

southsider2k5

The interesting line is that Ozzie talks about Jerry saying "yes" to whatever Kenny presented, meaning that this money was NOT in the budget before the Peavy deal was put on the table.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0...0,4969578.story

Chicago White Sox manager likes willingness to make trade

Ozzie Guillen says team shows it will spend to win

By Mark Gonzales | Tribune reporter

June 3, 2009

The White Sox lost out on San Diego ace Jake Peavy two weeks ago, and general manager Ken Williams denied interest Monday in Houston ace Roy Oswalt.

But manager Ozzie Guillen didn't rule out the possibility of a trade of any magnitude after the Sox's willingness to trade four players and take on a large contract like Peavy's.

"Listen, if we have to make a move, [we will]," Guillen said. "When the chairman [Jerry Reinsdorf] says yes to Peavy, there was a lot of money involved. That means I know they said yes to whatever Kenny presented.

"I don't see any problem if we have to make one move; I don't see why not."

The Sox were only 1-for-28 in pinch-hitting situations, but Guillen said improving that department wasn't a priority because he seldom pinch-hits for anyone but Chris Getz, Brian Anderson and Dewayne Wise.

The agent for Oswalt, meanwhile, wanted to clear up a few misconceptions about his client's feelings toward the Sox.

"Roy was never approached by the Astros that had anything to do with the White Sox," said Bob Garber, who also represents Sox second baseman Getz. "It has taken on a life of its own with bloggers and talk radio."

Garber stressed his client loves Chicago but is committed to helping the Astros.

"Roy has a lot of respect for the organization, including [Guillen]," Garber said. "He remembers the White Sox beat him in the 2005 World Series, and he recognizes Ozzie is a players' manager."

As for assumptions Oswalt has reservations about pitching on the South Side, Garber said his client believes U.S. Cellular Field "is a pitcher's park, compared to Minute Maid Park.

"Roy is not afraid of the park or the American League," Garber said.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)
I am starting to think that KW is wanting to replace Bart in the rotation, and Clayton is staying

But won't most teams be asking for Clayton now? It is interesting that KW seems to be using Poreda as a trade chip than as a possible contributor to the Sox, and I think most of us on here like that.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 08:58 AM)
But won't most teams be asking for Clayton now? It is interesting that KW seems to be using Poreda as a trade chip than as a possible contributor to the Sox, and I think most of us on here like that.

I think many here are (including me) are still skeptical whether or not his secondary pitches come around in a consistent basis. I do remember hereing though from JPN that he really liked what he saw from Poreda.

Still, if you get the chance to trade Poreda who is more likely to be a bullpen (although prob quite good) guy than a starter for a #1 or #2 guy then I think you have to go for it (of course with taking in age, money etc).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 08:44 AM)
The interesting line is that Ozzie talks about Jerry saying "yes" to whatever Kenny presented, meaning that this money was NOT in the budget before the Peavy deal was put on the table.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0...0,4969578.story

Considering what is left on Peavy's contract in length and money, and the negotiation that would most likely have to take place concerning adding to his no trade and/or option year I'm sure getting JR to OK the deal is standard procedure. KW said when asked how they would pay that it "wasn't a stretch".

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 08:58 AM)

People can ask for a lot of things, doesnt mean they will get it :)

Who knows what happens from this point on, all of the sudden KW has a lot of chips to play with

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 10:00 AM)
Heren was freaking on last night. That cutter was unhittable.

Okay, here's the plan... we get Josh Byrnes filthy drunk. Then, we convince him to trade Dan Haren for a package of Poreda, Allen, Shelby, Colon, and Gilmore.

A rotation of: Buehrle, Haren, Danks, Floyd, Richard... that's just pure awesomeness.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 10:15 AM)
Okay, here's the plan... we get Josh Byrnes filthy drunk. Then, we convince him to trade Dan Haren for a package of Poreda, Allen, Shelby, Colon, and Gilmore.

A rotation of: Buehrle, Haren, Danks, Floyd, Richard... that's just pure awesomeness.

If he's filthy drunk, let's get him to take Wise, McCullough, a rosin bag and Roger Bossard's autograph for Haren.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 08:15 AM)

It would take both Beckham and Poreda (and most likely another player or two) to get Haren. And if I were Kenny, I'd seriously consider it. Even if Beckham becomes the next Robin Ventura, Haren is still more valuable.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 10:39 AM)
I would be more than willing to deal Slayer for Haren....how many other countless "can't miss prospects" have we dealt away and have not developed?? Not saying he won't but I would much rather have a proven player.

Um f*** no.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)
It would take both Beckham and Poreda (and most likely another player or two) to get Haren. And if I were Kenny, I'd seriously consider it. Even if Beckham becomes the next Robin Ventura, Haren is still more valuable.

if Beckham wasn't in the Peavy deal, he won't be in any deal. I don't see how there's anybody that KW would deal for that he would give up his top 2 prospects. Arizona would also be dumping a pretty sizable salary so that, in itself, is attractive for them. Don't get me wrong, it will take a very good deal but i seriously doubt Beckham is involved.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 08:45 AM)
Isn't that the same response people gave with Chris Young and Jeremy Reed...and how many others??

Chris Young and Jeremy Reed never put up the kind of numbers/peripherals that Beckham is putting up.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 09:09 AM)
if Beckham wasn't in the Peavy deal, he won't be in any deal. I don't see how there's anybody that KW would deal for that he would give up his top 2 prospects. Arizona would also be dumping a pretty sizable salary so that, in itself, is attractive for them. Don't get me wrong, it will take a very good deal but i seriously doubt Beckham is involved.

Quite simply, the Sox brass was saying at the time of Peavy's decider day that they wouldn't swap Beckham for Peavy straight up. Quite simply, he's not moving. I don't know if there's a player in baseball they'd move him for.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 09:09 AM)

I don't know about that. It depends on several factors, including the money that Kenny would have to pay out over the course of the contract and how desperate the trading team is to unload the pitcher's contract. I imagine the fact that (1) SD is desperate to shed payroll and (2) Peavy is owed an assload of money factored heavily into Kenny being able to complete a deal for Peavy without Beckham. Haren is owed much less than Peavy, he's younger, he's pitching better right now, and my understanding is that Arizona isn't as desperate to shed payroll. Those factors will definitely come into play during negotiations.

I wouldn't hesitate to include Beckham in a package for Haren. I realize that Beckham is the best left-side-of-the-infield prospect we've had since Ventura. But if there's one thing that I've learned from the Ron Schueler era, it's that you don't fall in love with your prospects. If you can trade a highly-touted prospect for a better player at a more important position, you do it.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 10:39 AM)
I would be more than willing to deal Slayer for Haren....how many other countless "can't miss prospects" have we dealt away and have not developed?? Not saying he won't but I would much rather have a proven player.

Luckily the organization feels differently than you and has already said they wouldnt have even dealt Becks straight up for Peavy.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 09:31 AM)
Luckily the organization feels differently than you and has already said they wouldnt have even dealt Becks straight up for Peavy.

Yeah, because it would be incredibly foolish to trade a prospect who's done nothing in the majors for a two-time All Star starting pitcher in the prime of his career and under a manageable contract through 2012.