The Great Brian Anderson Debacle

Steve9347

This is becoming more and more tiresome. Why on Earth is Ozzie starting Wise over Anderson? Ozzie preaches defense, yet last night we see Betemit at 3rd base and Wise in CF? Are you kidding me?

Wise, after last night's game, is hitting .172. Now, I'm not the type to say "I could put together a better lineup"or "he's a f***ing idiot", but Ozzie is a f***ing idiot, and I could put a better lineup together.

Don't take this as a "sky is falling" post, because it's not. I just find it absolutely unacceptable that Ozzie continues to trot the talentless, career-minor leaguer out that that is Dewayne Wise.

Brian Anderson has a freaking OBP over .350 and puts up Gold Glove defense. I don't know what to do at this point, but being forced to watch him continue to play second fiddle to a complete and utter bum is driving me mad.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be said in this thread that Anderson was recovering from the flu last night, but that ignores the fact that this is a well-established pattern. There is merit to the argument that Pods should be out there over Brian even though Brian's hit RHP very well this year, but Wise is clearly the 5th outfielder and should not be starting over either one.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 10:10 AM)
Brian Anderson has the flu. I am guessing it was the same bug that supposedly Jenks had for a couple of weeks.

I won't feel comfortable knowing that Wise won't start over Anderson until I see it happen. It makes me feel better that Pods is here to take away Ozzie's impulse to put a "fast" player in, but it's still something that has yet to happen.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 09:10 AM)
Brian Anderson has the flu. I am guessing it was the same bug that supposedly Jenks had for a couple of weeks.

I'm well aware that he has the flu, that doesn't mean Wise won't continue to start over him despite being talentless.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 03:15 PM)
I'm well aware that he has the flu, that doesn't mean Wise won't continue to start over him despite being talentless.

We seemed to have stacked the line up last night with punchless wonders at the bottom led by Wise. However, before I go to far with the line up issues I do realize you have to use the bench from time to time. If BA was sick that's a good reason to start Wise.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 10:20 AM)
We now face two straight LH starters, so I'm sure we'll get lots of BA in those two games. The test will be after that, when he's definitely healthy, but we're not facing LH all the time.

He shouldn't be platooned though. It just doesn't help him, or the team.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 09:22 AM)
He shouldn't be platooned though. It just doesn't help him, or the team.

I agree completely. Dewayne Wise is not a major league player, I've said it before. I've also said before, and will continue to, that you can make a long list of outfielders just in the organization, that are better than Wise. He should be about the 8th OF, by my math.

A little off topic, but kind of a similar thought... Why does Guillen refuse to put Nix at 3rd and pull the garbage that is Josh Fields. I see only good things come out of Nix this season. He will play much better D at 3rd, even though it's not his natural position. And he has twice as many homeruns at 3rd than does Fields in half as many at-bats... And Fields imaginary power is the only reason we have him there. Nix at 3rd BA in center, and this team will be in real nice shape.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 09:26 AM)
A little off topic, but kind of a similar thought... Why does Guillen refuse to put Nix at 3rd and pull the garbage that is Josh Fields. I see only good things come out of Nix this season. He will play much better D at 3rd, even though it's not his natural position. And he has twice as many homeruns at 3rd than does Fields in half as many at-bats... And Fields imaginary power is the only reason we have him there. Nix at 3rd BA in center, and this team will be in real nice shape.

Yes, or Nix as UTIL backup pretty much anywhere (corner OF, corner IF, 2B) once Beckham comes up.

If TCQ can come back healthy around the time Slayer is called up, this offense is going to become deadly.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 09:26 AM)

Two days ago Guillen had Nix at third with Getz at second. Getz has a twisted ankle which has not allowed him to play the last couple of days, so Betemit got the call yesterday at third. Nix has had to play second base during that time.

Let's just rotate all the players...like umpires. One of those has to work...because someone on this board is going to be pissed off about the line-up/defensive alignments every single night. Right or wrong, Ozzie's the manager and he's going to continue doing what he thinks is best for the team. If Wise doesn't shape up, he'll be gone. Ozzie has certainly shown that in the past. So, you know, TCQ is out for now, Wise is up. As ss2k5 said, when/if TCQ comes back, Wise is gone.

Until then...this team has won 10 of 14 and has a good chance of keeping that up.

And one more thing, this isn't brain surgery. This is baseball. Some people want to continue getting worked up over a position battle. Sit back, relax, strap it down, open a cold one and enjoy the summer (if it ever gets here).

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
And one more thing, this isn't brain surgery. This is baseball. Some people want to continue getting worked up over a position battle. Sit back, relax, strap it down, open a cold one and enjoy the summer (if it ever gets here).

Correct, it's not brain surgery, it's really that obvious that the team isn't benefited by Wise platooning with Anderson.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 10:20 AM)
Correct, it's not brain surgery, it's really that obvious that the team isn't benefited by Wise platooning with Anderson.

Really...? You really just went there...?

Ok.

This is bulls***. Kenny needs to step up and get rid of Wise. I've been a long proponent of Anderson and I said the other day that I was worried he would lose a lot of playing time to Wise and it looks like he is. I can't wait till Quentin gets back, though, b/c I feel like that has to be the end of Wise.

Edited by dasox24