Return of the Count

WSoxMatt

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 05:09 PM)
So what happens after that though? Bullpen duty?

I can't imagine they would put him back in the starting rotation.

I still think they should leave him in the minors and have DJ Carrasco start one of the Monday games.

Edited by tommy

QUOTE (tommy @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 05:12 PM)
I can't imagine they would put him back in the starting rotation.

I still think they should leave him in the majors and have DJ Carrasco start one of the Monday games.

I assume you mean minors? And I agree. DJ should start. I don't want to see the Count in the starting rotation until at least after the ASB.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 04:55 PM)
Hopefully we send him back down after that game. He really hasn't shown anything in Charlotte except that hitters in AAA are in AAA for a reason.

In other news, Guillen said Jose Contreras will stay after he pitches Monday in a doubleheader against Detroit. He added there are no plans yet for a six-man rotation.

Quentin should be ready to come off the DL on June 10.

Link

That's just stupid. He's still throwing plenty of balls, still walking hitters, but he's been getting away with it cause he's a 40 year old vet facing guys who are in AAA for a reason.

If he has a really good outing, fine. But if not, there's no reason to keep him on the MLB roster.

I once said maybe we should try and have him move to the pen, but after thinking about it, that ain't gonna work either. We'd have to start warming him up 2-3 innings before we actually need to put him in. Plus, he's the type of pitcher who usually got stronger after the first couple innings. If we plan on moving Richard back to the pen and giving Contreras his spot, that's just f***ing stupid.

Edited by BearSox

as long as he doesn't replace richard i welcome him back with open arms. it would be unconventional but i'd have no issue with he and colon sharing the five spot from here on out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 01:30 AM)
One way to look at their plans...who goes down when Jose comes up...Gobble or Whisler.

it would be difficult to argue that either would contribute more to the big club than contreras would.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 05:40 PM)
it would be difficult to argue that either would contribute more to the big club than contreras would.

You guys are missing it.

If they send down Gobble, that's 1 other lefty in the Bullpen (Thornton). Who's the 2nd lefty in the bullpen?

If they send down Whisler, they're holding 2 bullpen lefties already, and thus don't need to find another.

Detroit's going to eat the Count alive.

How can anybody argue with that? He's right. Count is not a good option in that DH. Two losses to Detroit in one day would really suck with the Tigers in first with a fairly healthy lead already.