6/3 Games

flavum

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 07:16 PM)
It doesn't stop for this kid. He'll be here within the next two weeks.

Seriously, I don't care if you rotate him between 3rd, SS and 2nd (I know that is horrible for development), just get this kid's bat in uniform. Could also boost attendance and such. I actually think he could benefit fielding-wise in the majors with Ozzie and Joey around him, I mean they both were great fielders, so I think they could help there. He is too good for the minors.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 07:24 PM)
Seriously, I don't care if you rotate him between 3rd, SS and 2nd (I know that is horrible for development), just get this kid's bat in uniform. Could also boost attendance and such. I actually think he could benefit fielding-wise in the majors with Ozzie and Joey around him, I mean they both were great fielders, so I think they could help there. He is too good for the minors.

His errors have been mainly on throws from what I have seen. thats just part of moving around. Konerko is pretty good at scooping the ball, and might save a lot of those errors.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 07:24 PM)
Viciedo also 1-1 and has his average up to .279 after the horrendous start.

Also added a SB. Glad he is getting the average up, but now is when he needs to start getting the power and patience at the plate. Not worried though as he is so young in AA ball. I think this season has been a great year developmentally for him. He absolutely sucked early on and now has shown the ability to bounce back. I am expecting a huge season from him starting now.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 07:52 PM)
I'm sorry, but Beckham has "it". What ever "it" is, Gordon has it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That.

I saw him in a couple of games in the AFL.

His presence was obvious. He just made things happen... on the plate and on the field.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 07:58 PM)
Beckham 3-3 with 2 doubles now.

He's slaying AAA, making it his b****, owning it, whatever another saying is. He has nothing left to learn in the minors. Getz, Fields and Nix are all below-average players no matter how good they can look at times (yes, very rare, but it has happened), and Gordon can be an immediate .300 in our lineup, maybe more, who knows?

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 05:52 PM)
I'm sorry, but Beckham has "it". What ever "it" is, Gordon has it. He's just a gamer

I wrote just about the exact same thing about him yesterday. He can just seemingly do everything on the baseball field, he is tearing up AAA and should be on the big team within 2 weeks.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 07:52 PM)
I'm sorry, but Beckham has "it". What ever "it" is, Gordon has it. He's just a gamer

f*** all this "it's too soon" crap, he's ready....

Some guys can just hit, doesn't matter what level or who they're facing. It's looking more and more like Beckham might be one of those guys. For Beckham, if everything pans out with him, I'm predicting something of a cross between Kinsler and Michael Young. The power and speed of Kinsler with the pure hitting ability of Young. That's a stud of a baseball player right there.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 08:00 PM)
He's slaying AAA, making it his b****, owning it, whatever another saying is. He has nothing left to learn in the minors. Getz, Fields and Nix are all below-average players no matter how good they can look at times (yes, very rare, but it has happened), and Gordon can be an immediate .300 in our lineup, maybe more, who knows?

The big leagues have a way of humbling people though.

Tribe fans felt pretty much the same about LaPorta that we feel about Beckham.

But after a cup of coffee in the bigs he was sent back to AAA with his tail between his legs.

So let's not set expectations so high we destine Beckham to fail.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 08:03 PM)
Some guys can just hit, doesn't matter what level or who they're facing. It's looking more and more like Beckham might be one of those guys. For Beckham, if everything pans out with him, I'm predicting something of a cross between Kinsler and Michael Young. The power and speed of Kinsler with the pure hitting ability of Young. That's a stud of a baseball player right there.

I think just Michael Young is a great comp. In his prime, Young was a .315, 20 HR, 100 RBI and 15 SB. That is about what Beckham hopefully can produce in a couple years.

Beckham has had a lot of action at 3B tonight too. He had one hot smash hit off his glove and deflect to SS, where the runner was thrown out. May have saved another error. But he has handled 5 or 6 other plays including starting a double play.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 08:09 PM)
I think just Michael Young is a great comp. In his prime, Young was a .315, 20 HR, 100 RBI and 15 SB. That is about what Beckham hopefully can produce in a couple years.

Young has hit 20 HR twice, and driven in over 100 once. Plus, he's never stolen more than 13 bags in a year. However, he's been around .315 or higher most of his career, outside of his first couple seasons and last year.

Kanny scored 5 in the 9th to win 7-6:

Kannapolis Bottom 9th

* Pitcher Change: Eduardo Pena replaces Wilson Ortiz.

* Eduardo Escobar walks.

* Justin Greene singles on a line drive to right fielder Austin McClune. Eduardo Escobar to 3rd.

* Andrew Garcia singles on a line drive to center fielder Robbie Grossman. Eduardo Escobar scores. Justin Greene to 2nd.

* Tyler Kuhn singles on a ground ball to right fielder Austin McClune. Justin Greene scores. Andrew Garcia to 2nd.

* Sergio Morales walks. Andrew Garcia to 3rd. Tyler Kuhn to 2nd.

* Pitcher Change: Owen Brolsma replaces Eduardo Pena.

* Seth Loman out on a sacrifice fly to left fielder Quincy Latimore. Andrew Garcia scores. Tyler Kuhn to 3rd. Sergio Morales to 2nd on the throw.

* Jon Gilmore doubles (11) on a line drive to left fielder Quincy Latimore. Tyler Kuhn scores. Sergio Morales scores.

Barons lose 3-1.

A decent outing for McCulloch in the loss: 7 innings; 2 runs on 5 hits; 3 K's and 1BB

The offense just couldn't get it going, as the Barons were held to 3 hits on the night...

Except for John Shelby who went 2-4 including a double.

Shelby is now hitting .358 (14/39) over his last 10 games.... including 4 doubles, 1 triple, 2 homeruns, and 10 RBIs.

And he's been on base one or more times in 9 of those 10 games.

Viciedo 1-4 got the only other hit during today's game.