What to do with Corkaroo?

JPN366

So, he has until tomorrow to accept an assignment to Charlotte. If he does, who goes? Do you cut or demote Armstrong or Lucy? Not likely in my opinion since both have worked with a lot of the pitchers in the organization and have been in the system for several years. What good would it do to carry 3 catchers and let go of or demote a position player? It's possible Armstrong or Lucy could be demoted to B'ham since they're both behind Flowers on the depth chart anyway. Armstrong could be the lefty backup to Flowers, and have better success hitting in AA. I'm still convinced that Cole was rushed to AAA. Not that I don't like Jared Price, he's solid defensively and can pop a homer every once in awhile. I just don't see the necessity to hold onto Corky Miller. He should have been outright released, because it may be more of a problem for the White Sox to try to hold onto him.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 07:57 PM)
So, he has until tomorrow to accept an assignment to Charlotte. If he does, who goes? Do you cut or demote Armstrong or Lucy? Not likely in my opinion since both have worked with a lot of the pitchers in the organization and have been in the system for several years. What good would it do to carry 3 catchers and let go of or demote a position player? It's possible Armstrong or Lucy could be demoted to B'ham since they're both behind Flowers on the depth chart anyway. Armstrong could be the lefty backup to Flowers, and have better success hitting in AA. I'm still convinced that Cole was rushed to AAA. Not that I don't like Jared Price, he's solid defensively and can pop a homer every once in awhile. I just don't see the necessity to hold onto Corky Miller. He should have been outright released, because it may be more of a problem for the White Sox to try to hold onto him.

We Cut Miller. Their is still a small bit of upside for Armstrong and Lucy. There is none for Miller.

The Sox will cut him loose.

It's the right thing for both the organization and for him.

There are MLB teams with injuries right now who could use an experienced backup catcher.

He'll hook on with somebody.

Adios Abraham Phillip Miller.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 07:59 PM)
The Sox will cut him loose.

It's the right thing for both the organization and for him.

There are MLB teams with injuries right now who could use an experienced backup catcher.

He'll hook on with somebody.

Adios Abraham Phillip Miller.

But, the thing is, it's his choice to accept an assignment to AAA. So, the question I posed was what to do if he does accept. Technically now there is a roster spot with Beckham going up.

But, the thing is, it's his choice to accept an assignment to AAA. So, the question I posed was what to do if he does accept. Technically now there is a roster spot with Beckham going up.

If he does couldn't the Sox just say "get the f*** out here" and cut him from AAA in 10 seconds?

Corky is going to be in AAA at best no matter what happens. Maybe he thinks Castro is an injury waiting to happen so he accepts assignment. I would imagine his agent has called every team to see who is interested and they can look at their catching situation. It more than likely 2009 is the Corkmeister's last season as a player, and chances are he's had his last major league at bat.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 07:43 AM)
Corky is going to be in AAA at best no matter what happens. Maybe he thinks Castro is an injury waiting to happen so he accepts assignment. I would imagine his agent has called every team to see who is interested and they can look at their catching situation. It more than likely 2009 is the Corkmeister's last season as a player, and chances are he's had his last major league at bat.

So, he did accept the assignment to Charlotte. Makes sense, who needs another outfielder when you can carry three catchers? Especially when Lillibridge is the only active player who can play CF.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
So, he did accept the assignment to Charlotte. Makes sense, who needs another outfielder when you can carry three catchers? Especially when Lillibridge is the only active player who can play CF.

The catching situation down there was already messy with Lucy and Armstrong splitting time, now its terrible. I can't think they will keep all three there for long.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
The catching situation down there was already messy with Lucy and Armstrong splitting time, now its terrible. I can't think they will keep all three there for long.

Looking at the breakdown, with Negron on the DL, they really need another outfielder...

C- Armstrong, Lucy, Miller

1B- Myrow, Phillips, Ward

2B- Ginter, Lillibridge, Phillips, Torres

3B- Castillo, Ginter, Phillips

SS- Lillibridge, Torres

LF- Restovich, Phillips

CF- Lillibridge

RF- Kroeger, Restovich

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 11:32 AM)
Looking at the breakdown, with Negron on the DL, they really need another outfielder...

C- Armstrong, Lucy, Miller

1B- Myrow, Phillips, Ward

2B- Ginter, Lillibridge, Phillips, Torres

3B- Castillo, Ginter, Phillips

SS- Lillibridge, Torres

LF- Restovich, Phillips

CF- Lillibridge

RF- Kroeger, Restovich

I'd like them to just release Miller and promote Cook.

I e-mailed the media guy for Charlotte, and he said that Corky Miller is "not with us." Anybody know anything official? I haven't seen anything that says he did or didn't accept an assignment to AAA. All I've seen was that he was outrighted. If he was coming, he would have said "he's not here yet."

Edited by JPN366

Kill him.

Just kidding, I like the Cork-a-roo. Seems like a great guy and I want him to succeed. If it were me, I'd see if I could get a prospect for Cole Armstrong. I don't think he's Flowers' future backup (that should be an established veteran who is there to help him along) and I don't see him ever backing up AJ because he is a lefty. Deal off Armstrong, clear another roster spot on the 40-man, and try to pick up a project reliever with a big league arm in the process, or something similar.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)
Kill him.

Just kidding, I like the Cork-a-roo. Seems like a great guy and I want him to succeed. If it were me, I'd see if I could get a prospect for Cole Armstrong. I don't think he's Flowers' future backup (that should be an established veteran who is there to help him along) and I don't see him ever backing up AJ because he is a lefty. Deal off Armstrong, clear another roster spot on the 40-man, and try to pick up a project reliever with a big league arm in the process, or something similar.

I don't think you are getting anything of value for Armstrong.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 10:09 AM)
I e-mailed the media guy for Charlotte, and he said that Corky Miller is "not with us." Anybody know anything official? I haven't seen anything that says he did or didn't accept an assignment to AAA. All I've seen was that he was outrighted. If he was coming, he would have said "he's not here yet."

On a DFA they get 10 days to do something. I don't know if they released him or not. I don't think it really matters to anyone but Corky and his family.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 05:48 PM)
On a DFA they get 10 days to do something. I don't know if they released him or not. I don't think it really matters to anyone but Corky and his family.

I had read that he was supposed to decide by yesterday whether or not to accept the assignment to AAA. He's now listed on Charlotte's roster, but like I said, the media guy for the Knights said he is not with them at all. He didn't say he was not with them yet.