Gordon Beckham Called Up

flavum

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me add to this large posting with my amazed feelings. I did not think he would be here this quick, but I am happy he is coming up to play. Betemit was not performing for sure, but then we have some others doing that too. Maybe it will help us defensively and with adding some offensive spark.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 08:32 AM)
I've just noticed this thread, so I'm not going to read through the whole thing. Let me just say, I think we might be rushing him.

Me too, but I hope we're wrong. I hate to rush guys, but some players are special, and I do think that if Big Frank had been called up sooner in 1990, we could have held off the A's.

I also can't help thinking that with Marquez hurt, Lillibridge sent down, and Betemit DFA'd, Kenny is doing this in part to create excitement and deflect attention away from his God-awful off season. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

This could be a fun Summer once Q comes back.

Fields played Extra Hitter/First Base alot in college. Also, Beckham can play any of the three positions- 2B, 3B, & SS. It is a matter of what position he can help us at. Also, Ozzie is trying to be supportive to the guys that are here. After all he did win a world series with some of these guys!!! Another thing, I think Quentin is going to be out for a long time and bringing up Beckham is supposed to give us a little lift.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 09:16 AM)
Join a real conference.

We got some tough teams in our conference. JCA, Carmel Mundaline, Marion (outside of last year) is usually tough, Naz is alright (I still don't know how we lost to them though), St. Viator and St. Pats are decent some years, and plus, we have to compete in 8A for State. So it's no cake walk by any means, but yeah, not on the same level as the CCL.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)
We got some tough teams in our conference. JCA, Carmel Mundaline, Marion (outside of last year) is usually tough, Naz is alright (I still don't know how we lost to them though), St. Viator and St. Pats are decent some years, and plus, we have to compete in 8A for State. So it's no cake walk by any means, but yeah, not on the same level as the CCL.

Marist died a little for me when they changed from the Redskins to the Redhawks.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 09:36 AM)
Just out of curiosity, did Beckham get #6?

I was wondering what number he would get. I thought maybe he would get #8, & Cox could take like 55 or 77 or some double number. Number 6 would be cool. Him & Cutler. I just hope he doesn't go with the #1 jersey like Rose. I think #1 is stupid looking. Off the subject Rose should wear 24 or 22.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 10:01 AM)
I seriously can't wait. This kid reminds me a lot of Jeter. Bash me all you want, but he's a good contact hitter with some pop, and he gets tons of grief for his defense but Jeter's arm isn't overly strong either.

no, Jeter defensively is just flat out horrible, hence the report that a group of scouts put out in the offseason naming Jeter the worst everday defensive player... although if Slayer was on multiple world series teams with the White Sox I would take it!!!

This move really made me happy and hopefully the Sox stress to him that if he struggles it's OK and they are still confident in him. After the last two games the teams needed to give his bat a shot.

I wonder if KW had to force this on Ozzie or watching the lineup the last few games made Ozzie open to it. I think Ozzie urged KW to trade Swisher, maybe KW told him he has to bring Beck up and give him regular ABs.... between 3rd and 2nd that shouldn't be too hard to find

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 09:48 AM)
Marist died a little for me when they changed from the Redskins to the Redhawks.

luckily for me, they made the change in 97. I was 6 at the time, and didn't know they changed their name until after I already started school there. So for me, it was always the Redhawks.

But I can easily understand why for some Marist would die a little for them when they gave in and changed their names. In retrospect, I think it would have been badass if we stayed as the Redskins.