Gordon Beckham Called Up

flavum

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 11:01 AM)
I seriously can't wait. This kid reminds me a lot of Jeter. Bash me all you want, but he's a good contact hitter with some pop, and he gets tons of grief for his defense but Jeter's arm isn't overly strong either.

Jeter is one of the best pure hitters in the game and is a first-ballot HOFer based on that alone - what burns my ass so much is that he is constantly hyped up as a great defensive SS.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 08:05 AM)
no, Jeter defensively is just flat out horrible, hence the report that a group of scouts put out in the offseason naming Jeter the worst everday defensive player...

The bashing of Jeter's defense is one of the greatest examples of hyperbole in the history of the internet. He should've been moved to 3B a few years ago and he never had great range to begin with. But he was far from a "horrible" defensive SS in his prime.

Wow, this is going to be fun. A few random thoughts, having read the thread...

1. I think Beckham's eventual home is 2B. When he was drafted, it was commented that his arm was a question mark, and they weren't sure he'd stick on the left side of the infield. Plus Alexei is doing so well at SS, and there are guys like Fields, Viciedo and Retherford to consider at 3B.

2. This means, IMO, that Getz or Nix (probably Getz) will be traded, probably as part of a bigger package, since neither have a ton of value. The other of those two becomes the utility IF.

3. Fields is figuring it out, so I hope he continues to improve while playing part time 3B, 1B and DH. Once Getz or Nix are gone, Beckham slides to 2B, Fields back to 3B, IF Fields is doing well.

4. People's expectations are a little ridiculous. I think there is maybe a 25% chance that Beckham puts up big numbers at the plate this year. More likely, he struggles on and off, both defensively and at the plate, but looks better as he adjusts. Some of the panicky types on here will become even more bi-polar as this happens.

5. I hope they really do get Beckham at least 3/4 playing time somehow, so he can develop quickly.

5. GO BECKS!!!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 09:07 PM)
Getz hasn't hit any better than Fields.

He hasn't had the AB's this year, or in his career yet to pass judgement like we have with Fields, IMO. He's also playing a position that doesn't require the offensive prowess, power especially, that's expected of a 3B.

Personally, I've lost no confidence in Getz, and I want to see him nearly every day, when healthy. At least for now.

Gordon should be playing 3B primarily this year, and he should switch to 2B eventually, '10 or '11, if Viciedo proves he can be adequate with the glove at 3B.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
The bashing of Jeter's defense is one of the greatest examples of hyperbole in the history of the internet. He should've been moved to 3B a few years ago and he never had great range to begin with. But he was far from a "horrible" defensive SS in his prime.

His range was awful and his arm was below average. His glove was decent but when 2 out of 3 are below to well below average that doesn't make for a good defensive shortstop.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 10:30 AM)

not really, he's a terrible defensive SS, flat out terrible. He doesn't have the arm for 3rd base and would have had to move to 2nd.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 10:32 AM)
3. Fields is figuring it out, so I hope he continues to improve while playing part time 3B, 1B and DH. Once Getz or Nix are gone, Beckham slides to 2B, Fields back to 3B, IF Fields is doing well.

Who backs up Konerko?

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 08:28 AM)
I'm actually kinda paranoid about ordering a jersey with his first Major League number in fear it might vchange next year. I guess it's all gonna depend on what the kid says.

Yeah, I wouldn't order the jersey yet either.

Random question...is anyone currently running away with the ROY award in the AL?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 10:39 AM)
Short term outage - Fields. Longer term outage - Allen.

I was referring to NSS72's assumption that Getz or Nix get dealt and Fields moves back to 3rd. Would Allen come up right away in that scenario?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 11:39 AM)
Yeah, I wouldn't order the jersey yet either.

Random question...is anyone currently running away with the ROY award in the AL?

Absolutely no one. Elvis Andrus is probably doing the best right now, and his numbers are average at best.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 08:41 AM)
I was referring to NSS72's assumption that Getz or Nix get dealt and Fields moves back to 3rd. Would Allen come up right away in that scenario?

For a 1 day off thing or a short couple day injury, you can always move Nix/Getz/whoever remains to 3rd and put Fields at 1st. Allen comes up when Allen is ready, not to sit on the bench behind someone else.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 10:41 AM)

if Nix is the utility IF, he can certainly handle it. If its Getz, then Fields can slide over and Beckham or Getz cover 3B. Also, if the trade happens soon, its possible they call up Kroeger. If its later in the season, don't be surprised to see Allen up. If the trade doesn't happen at all of course, then its Fields. Thing is, PK rarely misses games anyway, so I think it only comes up a few times a year, unless he gets hurt (then its definitely Allen, I think).

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 08:35 AM)
His range was awful and his arm was below average. His glove was decent but when 2 out of 3 are below to well below average that doesn't make for a good defensive shortstop.

Not really. Jose Valentin had good range and solid arm strength, and lost his job to Royce Clayton because he was a freaking error machine.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 08:36 AM)
not really, he's a terrible defensive SS, flat out terrible.

I realize that people here are sick of listening to the Yankees fans on SportsCenter hold his nuts every night, but this piling-on groupthink is just as bad.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 11:01 AM)
So, Charley Lau was that important that his number has had a moratorium on it indefinitely?

Reinsdorf loved the guy. I don't think anyone will wear it while he owns the team.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 10:43 AM)
Absolutely no one. Elvis Andrus is probably doing the best right now, and his numbers are average at best.

Rick Porcello's 5-0, 1.50 ERA last month puts him in the lead right now. But yeah, not a lot of impact rookies to this point. Though I see that changing soon (Wieters).

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)
Awesome!!! Great to come into work in the morning, and see this first thing on the computer!! First time I can remember the White Sox actually having such a high-impact prospect in the minors ready to hit in the majors

I don't want to rain on the parade. However, as good as he could be I don't think he will match Frank Thomas.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 11:07 AM)
I don't want to rain on the parade. However, as good as he could be I don't think he will match Frank Thomas.

i don't think we expect him to be. but pedroia-like isn't completely out of the question in a year or so