Gordon Beckham Called Up

flavum

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not a natural 3B, and his bat skills are much more of a premium at those two positions. I love Getz as much as the next guy, but I always had him pegged as our bench infielder, a nice speedy lefty who wouldn't hurt you much when you start him. Like you guys said, ideally, Fields figures it out.

You know how I feel about Getz. Like the kid, he's a ballplayer, grinder, etc.. but unless Alexei moves to CF or gets traded (which I don't see neither happening as of yet or for the forseeable future) you put the most talented/upside man at 2B but is Gordo miles away. (Getz has very limited tools, or upside but is a very solid ballplayer) Nix is not the future (hellova glove, might learn with the stick, does have upside, but probably won't find it here) If Fields does figure it out then it's a very nice problem to have.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:24 PM)
Yeah, he'll likely redshirt and the earliest he'll make an impact in the run game is his sophomore season, but he could contribute in the return game and on special teams. He's a football player, tough as nails (although I have some funny stories about him during games).

If the other RB you're talking about is a power runner, that'll be perfect for you guys, cause Seiler's knickname is "Slick" for a reason.

Our #1 RB is a versatile runner. I'd compare him to a Thomas Jones. Not a tank, but not a speedster either. I'm sure Seiler will be utilized in the offense somehow if he's as slick as you say. We run lot's of stretch plays with lineman pulling, so it may suit him.

Good for Nix on becoming the new Utility guy. Ideally, we'll use him in places that exploit his plus defensive skills. Knowing our organization we won't.

Now that can work with Nix. He's come a long way from basically only playing one position in the infield. (which was out of this world defensively anyway)

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:30 PM)
You know how I feel about Getz. Like the kid, he's a ballplayer, grinder, etc.. but unless Alexei moves to CF or gets traded (which I don't see neither happening as of yet or for the forseeable future) you put the most talented/upside man at 2B but is Gordo miles away. (Getz has very limited tools, or upside but is a very solid ballplayer) Nix is not the future (hellova glove, might learn with the stick, does have upside, but probably won't find it here) If Fields does figure it out then it's a very nice problem to have.

I think Getz will be traded. I love him, wish him the best, but there's no real spot for him here, if we decide to MI will be Alexei and Slayer. Getz can only really play 2B as his arm isn't good enough for SS, 3B, or the OF. Nix fits the backup infielder much better. A stud at 2B, and he could become pretty damn good at SS or 3B as well with more practice in spring training.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:32 PM)
Our #1 RB is a versatile runner. I'd compare him to a Thomas Jones. Not a tank, but not a speedster either. I'm sure Seiler will be utilized in the offense somehow if he's as slick as you say. We run lot's of stretch plays with lineman pulling, so it may suit him.

If I don't get the D-I scholarship I'm hoping for (going to JuCo next year), you could very well see me going to GVSU in a year or two.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:35 PM)
I think Getz will be traded. I love him, wish him the best, but there's no real spot for him here, if we decide to MI will be Alexei and Slayer. Getz can only really play 2B as his arm isn't good enough for SS, 3B, or the OF. Nix fits the backup infielder much better. A stud at 2B, and he could become pretty damn good at SS or 3B as well with more practice in spring training.

If thats the case do you move lexi back to 2b and put slayer at ss or vice versa. Alexies arm at second is a big boost for turnin that dp

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)
If I don't get the D-I scholarship I'm hoping for (going to JuCo next year), you could very well see me going to GVSU in a year or two.

Football? You're a lineman right? I seem to remember you posting a video or something in the past. This is as good of a D2 program as you'll find.

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)
If thats the case do you move lexi back to 2b and put slayer at ss or vice versa. Alexies arm at second is a big boost for turnin that dp

With Alexei's defensive potential at SS, you keep him there. He's made som magnificant plays this year, and hopefully he'll only improve.

From what I've read, Gordo has a pretty strong arm.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:38 PM)
With Alexei's defensive potential at SS, you keep him there. He's made som magnificant plays this year, and hopefully he'll only improve.

From what I've read, Gordo has a pretty strong arm.

ya two shortstops up the middle is never a bad thing

I would prefer Gordo at 2B just because of Alexei's stronger arm and Gordo's far better value, but they can both flip-flop can be equally as good. Gordo as I believe Slav said earlier can be our Derek Jeter. (even if it is at 2B)

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)

Alexei's arm is much better utilized at SS than it is at 2B however. Beckham 2B + Ramirez SS > Ramirez 2B + Beckham SS IMO.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:38 PM)
Football? You're a lineman right? I seem to remember you posting a video or something in the past. This is as good of a D2 program as you'll find.

Yeah, football. I posted my HS highlight tape on talkbears.com. In that highlight tape, you'll see a lot of Seiler.

If I do wind up at GVSU, I'll make sure to find you and share my extreme baseball knowledge, that you love so much, with you.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:40 PM)
Yeah, football. I posted my HS highlight tape on talkbears.com. In that highlight tape, you'll see a lot of Seiler.

If I do wind up at GVSU, I'll make sure to find you and share my extreme baseball knowledge, that you love so much, with you.

Haha, I'm giddy at the thought of it. But in all honestly, it'd be cool to have a fellow SoxTalker and Chicagoan around these parts.

For now on, I'll only accept Baseball/Football. I can't and shouldn't limit myself to just 1. :D

You know how I feel about your football knowledge. Baseball... well...... *coughs* :ph34r:

But back to Gordo, should be an interesting ride/career for the kid. Whether he's loved (which I'm sure it'll be) or hated if he bust.