Gordon Beckham Called Up

flavum

Betemit was put in a position to fail. Betemit also just so happens to be a national league player.

Betemit is a solid hitter when utilized correctly. Betemit was not utilized correctly with the yankees, and he was far an away their most disliked player on the roster. His equivalent in the terms of the sox would be OMIT, and not because of his lack of hitting, it was his fielding. Before my computer crashed i had hilarious posts regarding betemit from nyyfans bookmarked, and that was prior to him being traded here, he sounded like bad news since day once. Then he started killing the ball in spring training and people were talking about how he mashes righties (.800 ops against coming into the season... which is not mashing by any means) i just knew he was bound to disappoint. Given the opportunity to hit, he likely would have (50 sporadic plate appearances is nothing in the grand scheme) but he never even gave himself the chance. Betemit had 8 chances at third, 4 of which ended up in an error... and at first he was jabbing at seemingly everything that came his way, whether it was in the dirt or not.

People here feel fields will be traded soon. Fields has been one of the worst position players in the majors leagues this season. People here love trying to get rid of our garbage for something of worth, like everyone around the majors has a blindfold on. I can't see it, does not make a bit of sense. Though if he does get moved, it will be to a weak national league team with a glaring hole, and time to spend on a project, which he is at best. Realistically, i don't see fields sticking in the majors for too long, unless he starts to show that legitimate extra base power from 2007, i have my doubts.

I am rather surprised they made beckham take the jump so quickly. But then again...

How i see it, he would not have been up now if the season played out ideally AKA everyone producing roughly around league average, if not better. The problem is fields, betemit, getz, and ramirez more than forced their hand to make the move. Beckham is not polished defensively, but the thing is, defense is something that can be polished in the majors, much easier than the hitting aspect of the game. Not that two wrongs make a right, but the sox have been a bad team defensively for years now, and he is simply an upgrade over betemit defesively (yes... offensively too) even on his worst day. Btw, one of the seldom things i have ever agreed with bearsox on is... beckham's position should not be a big deal. This is not fantasy baseball in which you need a certain amount of production for that player to warrant his roster spot. There are set standards for every position out there, we all known them. Now does that mean the only way to win a championship is by these standards? Give me a break. Teams have been known to have weak hitting third baseman, though a bopper in center, weak right fielder, strong hitting second baseman, etc... you just need the proper balance all around the field.

I personally like beckham at short, long term, and that is if he can improve defensively. Ramirez has been better than expected at short, and ozzie has definitely taken notice. It seem unlikely he will be moved from short, even for beckham, unless he has hit below the mendoza line by seasons end. The end of anderson seems to be around the corner though... which may possibily free up a spot for ramirez? Who knows, way too early to predict.

I, like everyone else, hopes that beckham produces from game one, and for the next six seasons straight. But if he starts his career like most every other player to ever play this beautiful game, and he *gasp* is underwhelming *gasp* i will be the first one to talk s*** and get your head out of your ass. So many people here have their expectations raised so high that they never allow themselves to enjoy anything, it's depressing.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 02:11 AM)
I'm excited that Beckham is being promoted. Even more excited that it appears we have a legitimate, can't-miss (or as close to it) baseball player within our organization.

Just please, for more than once every decade, give me a White Sox prospect that succeeds immediately upon promotion and stays consistent. And that doesn't mean if he goes 0-3 tomorrow that he's a bust, or anything like that. However, I'll be very disappointed if he's 3-30 or something comparable; where it's obvious he's overmatched. Let us have this one, baseball gods without any of this "not everyone succeeds immediately" and "Robin Ventura went hitless...." type of bulls***.

Amen! My patience with this team in regards to prospects is just about on empty. Joe Borchard, Jon Rauch, Danny Wright, Kip Wells, Brian Anderson, Ryan Sweeney, Josh Fields, ect, ect,ect. I want to see some f***in' instant results for once!. That doesn't mean he has to be Evan Longoria (although that would be nice), but it would be quite deflating if he sucks ass for a couple weeks and we end up sending him right back down.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 02:21 AM)
I, like everyone else, hopes that beckham produces from game one, and for the next six seasons straight. But if he starts his career like most every other player to ever play this beautiful game, and he *gasp* is underwhelming *gasp* i will be the first one to talk s*** and get your head out of your ass. So many people here have their expectations raised so high that they never allow themselves to enjoy anything, it's depressing.

Qwerty, if you feel the need to tell me to get my head out of my ass fine, but I -- personally -- will have little room with him struggling. Not with Beckham. And, again, I mean hitting under .200 for an extended period of time (several weeks) struggling. Looking Dewayne Wise overmatched every AB. I've seen it too many times with other prospects. Considering where Beckham was drafted overall, and how quickly he has risen through the system (even if it is because of other players struggling), expectations should be high.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 02:43 AM)
Qwerty, if you feel the need to tell me to get my head out of my ass fine, but I -- personally -- will have little room with him struggling. Not with Beckham. And, again, I mean hitting under .200 for an extended period of time (several weeks) struggling. Looking Dewayne Wise overmatched every AB. I've seen it too many times with other prospects. Considering where Beckham was drafted overall, and how quickly he has risen through the system (even if it is because of other players struggling), expectations should be high.

I'm speaking of those flip flopping types that are prone to changing their mind about any given player three times in a single game. Going from sucking an individual player off, to wanting to murder that individuals entire family. You are far from the type of person i was directing that at.

It saved us salary and it was probably the best deal we could have gotten.

If a player is putting up numbers worth his current salary I don't consider that "saving" money by getting rid of him. We lost an expensive asset with Vazquez, Contreras and Thome will be off the books after this year, certainly will not get similar salaries with the Sox next year, and Konerko will be off the books after that.

That said I'm thrilled the Sox aren't tolerating poor play (Lillibridge got somewhat of a break) with Betemit and Miller tossed to the curb so easily to season. But since we got rid of Swisher's 2011 salary we were able to eat $1.3 million of Betemit's 2009 contract!!!111!! Hopefully KW is close to pull the plug on Wise soon as well.

I just hope Gordon doesn't make the mistake of talking to some girls at a bar that Ozzie Guillen Jr.'s kid has interest in too. It's still holding Anderson back.

My lineup next year:

Figgins 3B

Beckham 2B

Dye DH

Quentin LF

Konerko 1B

Abreu RF

Ramirez SS

Pierzynski C

Danks CF

Dye, Q and Abreu will rotate DH duties. Beckham will end up at 2B after Getz gets traded in a package THIS year to bring in a starting pitcher. Fields will maintain his back up corner infield role- aka the new BA of our organization.

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 07:04 AM)
Cant miss Orioles prospect Matt Wieters is gitting like .150 now, so cut Slayer some slack if he starts a tad slow

Wieters has had only 21 Abs. He goes 3-3 tomorrow and his batting average rises to .250.

75 ABs in the set point for me. Afterwards, it's fair game. And, for the third time because I don't want any idiots misinterpreting what I'm saying, it's more a gauge of whether he's overmatched at this level. He can still be hitting .240 and just have an unlucky amount of potential hits going against him. Also important, obviously, is his patience at the plate and defense.

Really, I'm hoping more than anything he succeeds so Guillen won't f*** around with him. Just because he's our #1 prospect doesn't mean letting him rest every three days, or sitting him against tough right handers. I'll f***ing lose it if he pulls an Anderson.

QUOTE (tommy @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 10:32 PM)
Props to the members that knew, some specifically said he's coming up this week. (RockRaines)

Its unfair cause some folks had inside info.

Its too bad for Josh Fields, I really think he's a good guy, a good clubhouse guy, and a guy who wants to succeed. He was hitting better these last few games and I still think with consistent playing time that he could be a solid regular. Unfortunately for him, he has a future star right behind him.

A little surprised considering how the team has played over the past couple of weeks.

Personally I would have liked for Beckham to stay the whole season in the minors, but let's hope he can produce for us from the get go.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 08:27 AM)
Its unfair cause some folks had inside info.

Its too bad for Josh Fields, I really think he's a good guy, a good clubhouse guy, and a guy who wants to succeed. He was hitting better these last few games and I still think with consistent playing time that he could be a solid regular. Unfortunately for him, he has a future star right behind him.

What do you think Fields future holds? How much longer is he a White Sox.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 08:31 AM)
What do you think Fields future holds? How much longer is he a White Sox.

I personally dont think they give up on him, they have invested alot of time and energy trying to make him into our 3B. I think he sticks around for awhile, especially if Becks moves to 2B. I think Josh will figure it out to be honest.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 07:33 AM)
So Gordon Beckham gets called up on my birthday. Nice!

Very excited about this. I do have some reservations, just because it isnt often players come up and produce so soon after getting drafted.

Can't remember how excited I was for someone's debut before.

Happy birthday.