BECKGAME THREADHAM: CLE @ CWS, 7:11pm WCIU

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 08:43 PM)
I agree. Definitely want to get shut out at this point. Only way the dips***s running this team will wake up.

a single run give walker another day on the job.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 08:40 PM)
i almost want us to get shut out tonight. the worse we do this next couple games, the more likely walker's gone, ozzie b****es that it wasn't his fault, and suddenly the boat turns around

I feel the same, atleast about being shut out. If we're destined to lose, may as well lose in the worst way possible -- another shutout.

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 02:46 AM)
Cy Pavano with 70 through 6.

f***ing PATHETIC.

Blow this s*** up

Patience...if we continue to play this bad over the next 2 weeks, the season will be over and then the trade deadline selling will begin.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 08:46 PM)
are we the least fundamentally sound offense, and possibly the most flawed offense in all of baseball?

well our leadoff hitter was available to all of baseball a month ago....our CF has a career obp south of .300 yet he manages to seemingly play 5-6 days a week....Rob Neyer actually wrote a great piece about us today/yesterday and hes exactly right...its ok to have 1 hole in your lineup...but not 3 or 4

FanGraphs' R.J. Anderson wrote Wednesday about the White Sox' latest roster shake-up:

Gordon Beckham wasn't among first five hitters taken in last June's draft, but he will be one of the first five hitters from the 2008 draft to appear in the major leagues. Beckham will be promoted before tonight's game, taking the place of Wilson Betemit ...

--snip--

As for Beckham, he has less than 200 plate appearances in the minors, but the White Sox are apparently satisfied with his polish. Last year, he hit .310/.365/.500 in 63 plate appearances in A-Ball and so far this year he hit an almost identical .299/.366/.497 at Double-A. He's showcasing some good pop and plate discipline. Defensively it's hard to tell how Beckham will perform. Some scouting reports indicate Beckham's arm is only average and his small stature has a lot of people saying his ultimate destination is at second base.

The White Sox third basemen have compiled -8.8 UZR and -11 wRAA. That's nearly two full wins shaved off the Sox' total thanks to poor play at the hot corner. Beckham figures to be an immediate upgrade at the plate and in the field.

(Just because I don't mention these things often enough, UZR is ultimate zone rating and wRAA is weighted runs above average, which is based on wOBA, which is weighted on-base average but really doesn't have anything to do with on-base average. Which is what happens when we run out of original names for stats used to measure hitting.)

Fixing one spot in the lineup is a necessary step, but just one of a few. White Sox third basemen are 12th in the American League in OPS. So are their shortstops and second basemen. White Sox center fielders are 14th. You can't just give away four positions and hope to compete. Granted, Josh Fields and Alexei Ramirez haven't played as well as expected. But at some point you have to assume that maybe your expectations were a bit optimistic.

The White Sox have more problems than they can fix quickly. But when you're in second place you have to try. Particularly when the team that's in first place -- as we learn in the latest Daily Fungo -- may be on the verge of a "roster revolution."

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 08:40 PM)
If things go bad the rest of the year, I hope we give Carrasco a chance to start.

My initial reaction to this is no. Tear that bullpen apart in a firesale. Don't want to expose Carrasco in a starting spot and lower his trade value.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 02:50 AM)
My initial reaction to this is no. Tear that bullpen apart in a firesale. Don't want to expose Carrasco in a starting spot and lower his trade value.

Carrasco isn't going to bring you back much. Dotel and Jenks are the two relievers to look to deal.

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 08:46 PM)
Cy Pavano with 70 through 6.

f***ing PATHETIC.

Blow this s*** up

actually if we are way out of it come trade deadline....we have alot of pieces that will look VERY attractive to other teams....

every team in the league is always looking for relief help and we have alot of it to deal...Konerko could look attractive to a team like the mets...and Jenks could be dealt for a huge package I would imagine...and i'd be ok with it as he's about to get really expensive and thornton could potentially close with Poreda maybe filling the late inning lefty reliever

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 08:52 PM)
actually if we are way out of it come trade deadline....we have alot of pieces that will look VERY attractive to other teams....

every team in the league is always looking for relief help and we have alot of it to deal...Konerko could look attractive to a team like the mets...and Jenks could be dealt for a huge package I would imagine...and i'd be ok with it as he's about to get really expensive and thornton could potentially close with Poreda maybe filling the late inning lefty reliever

the mets are going to be BIG buyers, and we have a lot of pieces they'd want.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 08:52 PM)
Carrasco isn't going to bring you back much. Dotel and Jenks are the two relievers to look to deal.

problem with Dotel is that at the deadline hed only have 2 months on his contract and you won't be able to get much for a guy like that...but who knows maybe omar minaya will be desperate enough with Putz out for a while

Carrasco, even pitching as well as he has, would not even get you a #8/9/10 prospect in another organization.

Unless it was the 2007 White Sox minor league system...then you could trade him for Owens/Brian Russell/Andy Gonzalez.

Dotel/Jenks/Konerko for FERNANDO MARTINEZ, please.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 08:54 PM)
problem with Dotel is that at the deadline hed only have 2 months on his contract and you won't be able to get much for a guy like that...but who knows maybe omar minaya will be desperate enough with Putz out for a while

what i'm thinking is we package Dotel and Paulie for a package of guys starting with Parnell, making Jenks expendable as well.

im not sure why im this mad....objectively looking at our lineup...only two guys (Thome and Konerko) are above average major league hitters....frankly i was a huge chris getz fan at the start of the season...but if he's not getting on base at a .360 or so clip he's worthless

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 02:58 AM)
im not sure why im this mad....objectively looking at our lineup...only two guys (Thome and Konerko) are above average major league hitters....frankly i was a huge chris getz fan at the start of the season...but if he's not getting on base at a .360 or so clip he's worthless

The only reason he was projected to be a starter after last year was caused he showed some pop. He's shown none of that this year, so it's making those projections look way off. Fields not panning out at 3rd base really, really sucks for this franchise.