How many Sox prospects will be in the top 100 of Baseball America?

maggsmaggs

I will go ahead and say five (in order): Poreda, Danks, Flowers, Allen and Viciedo. This is assuming Beckham doesn't qualify, which he won't if he plays the rest of the year in Chicago. My best guess about rankings would be:

Poreda (35-45)

Danks (40-50)

Flowers (70-80)

Allen (75-85)

Viciedo (90-100)

Beckham if he qualified would be between five and 10 in my opinion. I also think Retherford, Hudson and possibly Carter would get some consideration as well, but ultimately performance (Carter), Hudson, significant production dip after promotion (Hudson) and lack of physical tools (Retherford) would preclude them from making the list. But still, our system is getting significantly more stacked than ever before. I really like our hitters much better than the 2000 group that was labeled the best system in baseball, although that was primarily based on pitching. Our depth is great pitching wise, too, but we lack true difference makers. Poreda is coming along, but I wouldn't label him a difference maker, since he doesn't have the secondary pitches. I am hoping a big name slips in the draft this year and we snag him, but that probably won't happen. Other opinions about these guys?

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 11:55 AM)
I will go ahead and say five (in order): Poreda, Danks, Flowers, Allen and Viciedo. This is assuming Beckham doesn't qualify, which he won't if he plays the rest of the year in Chicago. My best guess about rankings would be:

Poreda (35-45)

Danks (40-50)

Flowers (70-80)

Allen (75-85)

Viciedo (90-100)

Beckham if he qualified would be between five and 10 in my opinion. I also think Retherford, Hudson and possibly Carter would get some consideration as well, but ultimately performance (Carter), Hudson, significant production dip after promotion (Hudson) and lack of physical tools (Retherford) would preclude them from making the list. But still, our system is getting significantly more stacked than ever before. I really like our hitters much better than the 2000 group that was labeled the best system in baseball, although that was primarily based on pitching. Our depth is great pitching wise, too, but we lack true difference makers. Poreda is coming along, but I wouldn't label him a difference maker, since he doesn't have the secondary pitches. I am hoping a big name slips in the draft this year and we snag him, but that probably won't happen. Other opinions about these guys?

I'd say Viciedo won't be there (unless he really turns it on the rest of this season), Danks maybe a little lower, Allen about where you have him, but Poreda and Flowers higher. So I'd go with four.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 09:58 AM)
I'd say Viciedo won't be there (unless he really turns it on the rest of this season), Danks maybe a little lower, Allen about where you have him, but Poreda and Flowers higher. So I'd go with four.

Viciedo's still barely a 20 year old who's showing promise all the way up in AA. The age alone will push him up.

I had a dream that KW traded Flowers last night and I was annoyed.

Viciedo is a lock to be in the top 100. He's young and getting better and better with more experience and I expect to see a significant increase in power the 2nd half of the season. Viciedo will be a White Sox next year and I'd rank him as the #2 prospect behind Jordan Danks with Poreda sliding in at 3 just ahead of Tyler Flowers.

The main reason is the pure upside of Danks/Viciedo. Viciedo has a shot to be a Miguel Cabrera type. Not saying he will, but he has massive power potential and an ability to hit for a very high average.

I f***ing love his swing. I don't know if he'll learn to draw the walks or not, but if he develops that he has the ability to be a HIGH HIGH HIGH impact player and I expect him to rank in the top 25 to 30 prospect by the time this season is done. If Jordan Danks keeps playing like he's playing, he'll be in the top 25 to 30 as well at seasons end.

Cfers with his tools, mixed with the minor league prodution, aren't a common occurance. Poreda I have where he his because of that nice sinking fastball but I also love Flowers. I'd say all four guys, if they play well, have a shot at being top 50 guys.

I don't know if anyone else in the system has a shot at getting into the top 100 though. Hudson/Carter have a chance if they pitch really strong at higher levels. I wouldn't anticipate any of our top picks making the list unless we draft Scheppers or something or whomever we draft signs immediately and just puts up ridiculous numbers.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 01:12 PM)
Viciedo is a lock to be in the top 100. He's young and getting better and better with more experience and I expect to see a significant increase in power the 2nd half of the season. Viciedo will be a White Sox next year and I'd rank him as the #2 prospect behind Jordan Danks with Poreda sliding in at 3 just ahead of Tyler Flowers.

The main reason is the pure upside of Danks/Viciedo. Viciedo has a shot to be a Miguel Cabrera type. Not saying he will, but he has massive power potential and an ability to hit for a very high average.

I f***ing love his swing. I don't know if he'll learn to draw the walks or not, but if he develops that he has the ability to be a HIGH HIGH HIGH impact player and I expect him to rank in the top 25 to 30 prospect by the time this season is done. If Jordan Danks keeps playing like he's playing, he'll be in the top 25 to 30 as well at seasons end.

Cfers with his tools, mixed with the minor league prodution, aren't a common occurance. Poreda I have where he his because of that nice sinking fastball but I also love Flowers. I'd say all four guys, if they play well, have a shot at being top 50 guys.

I don't know if anyone else in the system has a shot at getting into the top 100 though. Hudson/Carter have a chance if they pitch really strong at higher levels. I wouldn't anticipate any of our top picks making the list unless we draft Scheppers or something or whomever we draft signs immediately and just puts up ridiculous numbers.

So you don't think Brandon Allen has a chance at cracking the Top 100? It's a close call in my book whether Baseball America includes him. Personally, I think he should make it, but the lack of power this season will definitely hurt his case. It's too bad, because his contact and walk rates are getting better. I think an increase in homeruns and doubles will happen in the second half.

The only other guy I see having a shot is Hudson, but his control and ground-ball/fly-out ratio have gotten a lot worse since his promotion to high A. I think he'll rebound, but he'll need to be down-right dominant in the 2nd half if he wants to move back into consideration.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 12:19 PM)
So you don't think Brandon Allen has a chance at cracking the Top 100? It's a close call in my book whether Baseball America includes him. Personally, I think he should make it, but the lack of power this season will definitely hurt his case. It's too bad, because his contact and walk rates are getting better. I think an increase in homeruns and doubles will happen in the second half.

The only other guy I see having a shot is Hudson, but his control and ground-ball/fly-out ratio have gotten a lot worse since his promotion to high A. I think he'll rebound, but he'll need to be down-right dominant in the 2nd half if he wants to move back into consideration.

I actually forgot about Allen. I'd probably have him in the 80-120 range depending on how he produces. He'll have to hit for more power the 2nd half of the season but he's got very good speed (for a corner infielder), solid defensive skills and really looks to have a nice skill-set for a first baseman. I don't doubt the power potential but he's still got to improve his power numbers since first is such a power position.

I also agree with you that we'll see an increase in numbers and that will probably push him into the bottom half of the top 100. Why not higher, because first baseman, unless they are top top prospects or hitting 50+ hr's in the minors, typically don't get rated super highly. I like the odds of being a solid big leaguer. The kid just keeps getting better.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 12:57 PM)
Why not higher, because first baseman, unless they are top top prospects or hitting 50+ hr's in the minors, typically don't get rated super highly.

Did someone think Casey Kotchman had big time power potential at some point down the line? In 2005 he topped out at #5 on their list (Right before Scott Kazmir) and he'd never put up big time power numbers at any stop.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)
Did someone think Casey Kotchman had big time power potential at some point down the line? In 2005 he topped out at #5 on their list (Right before Scott Kazmir) and he'd never put up big time power numbers at any stop.

He was also a top pick. Notice that I mentioned that you either need to be raking big time power or have been a top pick.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)

Also, people did think Kotchman was going to hit for 30HR's. Heck, even last year, prior to getting dealt for Tex, it started to look like he was developing his power.

And not only was he a top pick (13th overall), he freaking hit over .350 during the course of two minor league seasons (2003 & 2004) which thus placed him incredibly high on the 2005 list (which comes out after the 2004 regular season), just before the 2005 season starts. For pete sake he hit .372 in 199 ab's at 21 in AAA (his first go-round), after putting up a .368 clip in 28 games in AA (at 21 years old).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 01:37 PM)
And not only was he a top pick (13th overall), he freaking hit over .350 during the course of two minor league seasons (2003 & 2004) which thus placed him incredibly high on the 2005 list (which comes out after the 2004 regular season), just before the 2005 season starts. For pete sake he hit .372 in 199 ab's at 21 in AAA (his first go-round), after putting up a .368 clip in 28 games in AA (at 21 years old).

Gimme a break here...all I remember about him on the way up is how for about 3 years everyone here wanted to trade him and Figgins for Konerko. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
Gimme a break here...all I remember about him on the way up is how for about 3 years everyone here wanted to trade him and Figgins for Konerko. :lolhitting

Now neither him or another very very hyped Angel prospect lived up to there potential (Dallas McPherson being the other) but I believe injuries had a very significant impact on McPherson, who I know last season was raking down in the Marlins organization).

And haha, I was always about trading for Santana and Kochman because I loved Earvins stuff and Kochman's swing. I was surprised at how poor Casey did following the trade and at how little pop he's had this year.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)
I don't think Allen will get in the top 100. They like higher upside guys for that list. I think Allen's upside is to be a solid Major Leaguer.

If the people who write those articles think that there are more than 100 guys with higher likely results than "solid major leaguer" in the minors right now, then I'd call them delusional.

I think Allen ends up near the bottom of that list, but I also think he is better than that in reality.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 04:05 PM)
If the people who write those articles think that there are more than 100 guys with higher likely results than "solid major leaguer" in the minors right now, then I'd call them delusional.

I think Allen ends up near the bottom of that list, but I also think he is better than that in reality.

Upside and likelihood are different things. I'm not sold on the likelihood of Allen yet.