6/5 Games

NorthSideSox72

Charlotte wins their Game 1 9-1, Egbert goes 6 strong, Ward and Kroeger HR's.

Charlotte Game 2, rained out

Montgomery @ B-Ham, 7:05pm CT, Poreda with the start

Winston-Salem tied 1-1 in 5th with Kinston in their Game 1, Hudson very good so far through 5 IP - 1 ER, 0 BB, 7 K

W-S Game 2 to follow, ACarter pitching

WV @ Kanny postponed, the red hot Stephen Sauer would have started for the Intimidators.

Edited by danman31

Sauer's peripherals are redonkulous. In 39 IP he has 46 K and ONE WALK. 46:1 is, I think, a pretty good ratio. So I hear. He also has a 3.67 GO/AO. And by the way, of his 10 ER given up this season so far, half were in one game, where he lasted 0.2 IP (back when he was in the pen). Remove that one outing and he has a 1.17 ERA. He's been very good so far as a starter too - 0.62 ERA.

This guy should be popping up on a lot of radars now, if he wasn't before.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 06:37 PM)
Sauer's peripherals are redonkulous. In 39 IP he has 46 K and ONE WALK. 46:1 is, I think, a pretty good ratio. So I hear. He also has a 3.67 GO/AO. And by the way, of his 10 ER given up this season so far, half were in one game, where he lasted 0.2 IP (back when he was in the pen). Remove that one outing and he has a 1.17 ERA. He's been very good so far as a starter too - 0.62 ERA.

This guy should be popping up on a lot of radars now, if he wasn't before.

It's funny, his BABIP actually indicates that he is getting unlucky.

Our new top prospect is hot right now. 8-17 in June. .390 in his last 10 games (16-41). His average is up to .286, but his OPS is still south of .700. It's good to see a HR, he needs to get the power stroke going.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 11:23 PM)
Our new top prospect is hot right now. 8-17 in June. .390 in his last 10 games (16-41). His average is up to .286, but his OPS is still south of .700. It's good to see a HR, he needs to get the power stroke going.

While I’d still put Tyler Flowers, Aaron Poreda, and Jordan Danks ahead of him, it’s still really encouraging to see Viciedo turning it on

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 10:31 PM)
While I’d still put Tyler Flowers, Aaron Poreda, and Jordan Danks ahead of him, it’s still really encouraging to see Viciedo turning it on

Why? Poreda is throwing a scary amount of walks. Viciedo is 20 and adjusting to moving to a new country and entirely different culture while playing at an advanced level. I'm not going to say I'm thrilled with what he's done, but we are seeing improvement and I think he has a bigger upside than the other guys you named.

Why? Poreda is throwing a scary amount of walks. Viciedo is 20 and adjusting to moving to a new country and entirely different culture while playing at an advanced level. I'm not going to say I'm thrilled with what he's done, but we are seeing improvement and I think he has a bigger upside than the other guys you named.

Agreed completely. Viciedo is damn near a lock IMO, though I'm sure for now some would put Poreda ahead at the moment. Dan and I both had Viciedo in our mock top spects list and to me what he's doing at just 20 in AA is amazing. He still needs work on alot of things but when you have a potential upside like he has (most say a Miguel Cabrera more or less) your a damn good prospect.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 11:58 PM)

I’d put Danks and Flowers ahead because they are performing admirably at less-offensively oriented positions. While I think Viciedo will be a great asset to this team third-basemen is more of a known commodity. As for, Poreda he’s still our best arm, and apart from the walks is pitching rather well.

Edited by Thunderbolt

I want to love Flowers, but I don't think he can stick at catcher from what I've read. I really, really hope he does because then he probably would be ahead of Viciedo. Still, Dayan is my fav.

I'm certian he will. He's improved alot in only his 2nd full year behind the plate, and from what the B-Ham manager said in an article on MILB, he's improved his game calling quite a bit. KW has already said they want him as their all-star catcher. I'm sure they will value his bat way more than his defense as already seen with AJ. I love Flowers, I am very high on him.

Talk to me about my boy Viciedo! That is what I am talking about. A few more doubles and homers and a better defense and we will be in Chicago soon. He is hitting almost 500 in June.

Edited by Cubano

Love seeing the improvement in Dayan. That's really all you can ask from him at this point considering his age, park, etc. Hard not to love Flowers though, awesome to see him have a .920 ops in Birmingham, that's pretty impressive.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 08:58 PM)

I can't disagree with you too much, I rank Danks ahead of him but thats it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 12:03 AM)
I can't disagree with you too much, I rank Danks ahead of him but thats it.

Danks is just absolutely raking right now. It'll be interesting to see how quickly the Sox move him along. If he keeps hitting at this pace, he has to be the cf next season, no?

Granted, I'm sure people wouldn't be happy with another non proven player manning cf but it'd be hard to keep him out of that role imo.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 10:07 PM)
Danks is just absolutely raking right now. It'll be interesting to see how quickly the Sox move him along. If he keeps hitting at this pace, he has to be the cf next season, no?

Granted, I'm sure people wouldn't be happy with another non proven player manning cf but it'd be hard to keep him out of that role imo.

Apparently Buddy Bell commented yesterday that he's ready for the majors. So I think we see him this year, but that of course is because I see some massive changes going on in Chicago this season. I also think we might end up seeing all of the Bham guys shortly (Flowers/Allen/Viciedo).

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 12:07 AM)

He's gotta get that K% down. It's one thing to K a lot when you're Ryan Howard. Danks doesn't project for much power.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 12:09 AM)
Apparently Buddy Bell commented yesterday that he's ready for the majors. So I think we see him this year, but that of course is because I see some massive changes going on in Chicago this season. I also think we might end up seeing all of the Bham guys shortly (Flowers/Allen/Viciedo).

This organization has completely lost it if Flowers or Viciedo are anywhere near the bigs this season. I could see Allen up at some point.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 11:09 PM)

If we go into fire sale mode then ya, I'm sure we see Danks this season. I can't wait to see Danks play personally, combine his outstanding numbers so far with the talent that I've read he has(still never seen him play) and that's just an exciting prospect.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 11:14 PM)
He's gotta get that K% down. It's one thing to K a lot when you're Ryan Howard. Danks doesn't project for much power.

Agreed. Numbers wise, that's the only thing he's done wrong so far this year though.