TCQ update: If Sox Out of Contention, Shut-Down...Maybe

Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 05:18 PM)
No, Plantar Fasciitis is in the foot. Labrum is in your shoulder.

That is my fault.

I mean to say torn tendon.

Originally posted: June 10, 2009

Carlos Quentin not expected back before All-Star break

By Mark Gonzales

Manager Ozzie Guillen doesn't expect slugger Carlos Quentin to return before the All-Star break. Quentin said he tore a tendon in his left foot on May 25 and just recently started jogging.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (tommy @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 03:20 PM)
That is my fault.

I mean to say torn tendon.

Going to have to defer to others on this one...The Plantar Fascia is related/attached to the Achilles tendon in a number of ways...but if he had a torn achilles I don't think there'd be any talk of him coming back and he'd have been on the 60 day DL.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 05:24 PM)
Going to have to defer to others on this one...The Plantar Fascia is related/attached to the Achilles tendon in a number of ways...but if he had a torn achilles I don't think there'd be any talk of him coming back and he'd have been on the 60 day DL.

Paging Dr Ptatc, paging Dr Ptatc

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 04:34 PM)
not being sarcastic, actually want to know, but what would the point of it be?

Man, this is another red flat that points that KW and Ozzie are butting heads

Admitting Quentin will be out for months if not the whole year takes away a lot of leverage if Kenny actually tries to make a deal to improve the team.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)
I had a hunch that the SOx were going to trade for Randy Johnson a few years ago. Hopefully your hunch is as wrong as mine was, lol. I also have a hunch that we'll see Jordan Danks by the end of August, more likely by July.

I hope that second hunch comes true...

I love how KW and OG are on the same page here. Something tells me they are not getting along real well right now, otherwise why would there be so much lack of communication and apparent disagreement over Beckham (being ready for the majors) and Q (his health).

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 10:16 PM)
# KW said Ozzie's timetable on Quentin is off, and the outfielder should be back quicker than Guillen thinks.10 minutes ago from txt

These two are acting like a married couple on the verge of divorce.

Why does this surprise anyone? Ozzie has always been Mr. Conservative when it comes to injuries. It doesn't surprise me at all that he said this as he probably doesn't want the club thinking about Q right now since he's not playing currently.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 05:24 PM)

From what I understand, him tearing the tendon that connects the front of the foot to the heel is the first step in recovering from PF. I guess its the inflamation of said tendon or something of the sort, and eventually it just pops. After that I believe you just have to wait for the inflammation to go down.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 05:46 PM)
Why does this surprise anyone? Ozzie has always been Mr. Conservative when it comes to injuries. It doesn't surprise me at all that he said this as he probably doesn't want the club thinking about Q right now since he's not playing currently.

could be, that's been his MO in the past, which I actually tend to agree with to a certain point. If a guy is injured he's injured, he'll come back when he comes back.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 03:48 PM)
Here's something for KW to ponder: does he go ahead with the idea of Quentin as our franchise DH starting next year and fill in LF and RF if Dye/Thome leave? That could open up a spot for a leadoff hitter.

Quentin's going to have to stay healthy for a full season before Kenny can consider him a franchise player.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 05:48 PM)
Here's something for KW to ponder: does he go ahead with the idea of Quentin as our franchise DH starting next year and fill in LF and RF if Dye/Thome leave? That could open up a spot for a leadoff hitter.

I was just thinking along the same lines, but next year you have to have a good insurance policy on your team or in your system for him no matter what he comes back as.

Again, if Thome leaves they need a LH power bat, my dream, trade for Dunn and then sign him to an extension, but they do need to address a LH bat if he leaves

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 05:48 PM)

I wouldn't. We are going to be really depleted letting both of them go. I would keep Thome as the DH, assuming he is willing to come back at a discount. Leave Q in LF, bring Danks up as CF (this year play him in the majors, so he is ready for next year) and sign a right fielder. Dye is doing well offensively and defensively this year, but he is too expensive.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 03:51 PM)
I was just thinking along the same lines, but next year you have to have a good insurance policy on your team or in your system for him no matter what he comes back as.

Again, if Thome leaves they need a LH power bat, my dream, trade for Dunn and then sign him to an extension, but they do need to address a LH bat if he leaves

Both Brandon Allen and D2: the Mighty Danks are LH bats that could give our lineup a lot more balance if they're up next year.

Man, you guys are talking about counting on a lot of rookies next year, and that's never been Ozzie or KW's MO. Can we really have an outfield with Allen and Danks next year? Plus Beckham and Fields, or Beckham and Getz. Sounds like a bad year, maybe in the right direction, but a bad year.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)
Man, you guys are talking about counting on a lot of rookies next year, and that's never been Ozzie or KW's MO. Can we really have an outfield with Allen and Danks next year? Plus Beckham and Fields, or Beckham and Getz. Sounds like a bad year, maybe in the right direction, but a bad year.

At this point, the Sox are pretty much in need of a "growing pains" year or two. If Kenny wants to contend for the "tallest midget" title (AL Central champ) one last time, that's fine. But it'll be time to develop young players again in 2010. And if that means losing Thome, Dye, or even Paulie this winter to make room, so be it. We're not going to win again with the core of this lineup.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 05:18 PM)
I had a hunch that the SOx were going to trade for Randy Johnson a few years ago. Hopefully your hunch is as wrong as mine was, lol. I also have a hunch that we'll see Jordan Danks by the end of August, more likely by July.

They tried really hard, they just couldn't get Johnson to agree to come here.

I hope he's able to come back at some point. He's got all off season to rest the foot.

He needs to make the adjustments necessary to return to the CQ of old and I hope he gets the at bats this year to get his average up and his HRs way up.

Plantar fasciitis was not good to Shannon Stewart's career. He was 32 when he got it, played a full season with Oakland at 33, played part of last year with Toronto, and he hasn't played a game in the majors this season.

He was quite a bit older and not nearly as talented as Quentin, but it's worth noting. Quentin needs to heal completely from this before you try and rush him out there right now.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 05:47 PM)
From what I understand, him tearing the tendon that connects the front of the foot to the heel is the first step in recovering from PF. I guess its the inflamation of said tendon or something of the sort, and eventually it just pops. After that I believe you just have to wait for the inflammation to go down.

I'm sure in this instance the term "tendon" was misused. The description you gave is accurrate but for the fascial bands in the plantar fascia. It wasn't a tendon that was torn, if it did that's major surgery with months of rehab.