Bunting

Buehrle>Wood

Bunting is so stupid with the top of the lineup as well. I agree with Fathom, it only makes sense with a runner 2nd and no out late in a tied or close ball game.

Bunting every time with a runner on 1st is so stupid. Getz actually has been hitting the ball well lately, so we decide to have him bunt with Pierzynski on first? You gotta be kidding me. If that bunt isn't absolutely perfect by Getz, Pierzynski's gonna be nailed at 2nd every time. Idiotic.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)
I hate bunting with a fast guy on first base so much. If you want to do anything, do a protective hit-and-run. The only time to bunt is if you get a guy on 2nd and no outs in a tie game in the 8th or 9th.

It's funny you mention that, since the hit and run has actually worked fairly well this season while nobody on the team can bunt. But Ozzie hasn't been known to use anyone to their strengths.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)
It's funny you mention that, since the hit and run has actually worked fairly well this season while nobody on the team can bunt. But Ozzie hasn't been known to use anyone to their strengths.

As long as it isn't Lillibridge being counted on to deliver the hit

The thing I don't get about baseball is teams tendency to bunt when their offense is struggling. If anything, the WORST time to bunt is when your offense is struggling. Bunting gives away a free out to your opponent (well, you get one base in return if executed properly, but that's not very much), and when you are struggling on offense, outs are coming fast and furious as it is, no need to give extra ones away.

As for today, Alexei can't and should not be bunting. When a guy like him fails at bunting, it's not his fault, it's Ozzie's for asking him to do something he can't. End of story.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 08:32 PM)
I hate bunting with a fast guy on first base so much. If you want to do anything, do a protective hit-and-run. The only time to bunt is if you get a guy on 2nd and no outs in a tie game in the 8th or 9th.

There was no hit and running done today nor did we try and steal until the last of the 8th

QUOTE (G&T @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 08:41 PM)

He maanges with his gut

• 2 months later...

There are certain players who should not be bunting, but "conventional baseball wisdom" makes it automatic in those situations, for some reason. If you have a weak offensive player coming to bat, your odds of moving the runner over are higher than they would be by letting the player swing away, you need the run bad enough that it's worth risking an out, and you believe the next guy coming up has a reasonable shot at getting a solid base hit, then yes, go for it. This isn't the NL, with weaker lineups, and we shouldn't see it happening in the AL so often.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 09:32 PM)

Hit and run with a faster guy on base is the way to go

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 01:48 AM)
It's not like Bacon was going to hit anything tonight.
He smoked what should have been a run scoring single if the ball didn't hit the damn pitching rubber and bounce right to the SS.